Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ketchikan to Skagway with a 2650 (single diesel)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ketchikan to Skagway with a 2650 (single diesel)

I read Ksanders trip on the northern part of the inside passage and some folks talk of the southern end around Puget sound and Victoria Island but I am interested in the trip mentioned in the June 2019 Boat US magazine of the inside passage from Ketchikan to Skagway. Our boat is a Bayliner Explorer 2650, single diesel which I rebuilt and used on the lakes here in Montana. I used to have a Tolly 48 and we spent 10 years on the Great Loop and side trips to the Bahamas and to Houston (via the Mississippi) so we are comfortable with cruising, but realize the 2650 is not a "outside" boat. Would you consider the passage from Ketchikan to Skagway reasonable for our boat? Is there a way to do a one way to Skagway, then trailer back to Montana?
    2650 Bayliner Explorer Express , 1980 model , single diesel; Isuza 4BDI, 280 outdrive,
    previous boats,
    Sea Ray 31, Tolly 48
    Great loop completed 2006
    10 year live aboard
    retired to land 2015
    rmitch

Mitch go for it , mostly protected , if the wind is up stop and cook a bit of Salmon.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Are you going to ferry the boat up to Ketchikan and then have your tow rig and trailer ferried up to Skagway to wait for you?
      Esteban
      Panama City, Panama
      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

No problem in those waters with your boat. Just watch the weather.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Mitch if your heading up to Price Rupert, go N. to Calgary and on to Red Deer all on #w2, at Calgary take the N.E bypass on to Red Deer, at that point 2nd exit 11A W. go to the round about short run then go N, on 20- at Asike W. turns in to 22 go N. by way of Drayton valley to 16 4 lane heads all the way to Prince Rupert. Notes good fuel stops Red Deer , Edson, Prince George the more W. you go price goes up. I make a night stop in Mc Bride camp ground is N. of town nice folks. Note I launch from Port Edwards more room at the ramp, early morning best to cross Dixon entrants, hope this helps.
          Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
          96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Working...
          X