Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ketchikan to Skagway with a 2650 (single diesel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ketchikan to Skagway with a 2650 (single diesel)

I read Ksanders trip on the northern part of the inside passage and some folks talk of the southern end around Puget sound and Victoria Island but I am interested in the trip mentioned in the June 2019 Boat US magazine of the inside passage from Ketchikan to Skagway. Our boat is a Bayliner Explorer 2650, single diesel which I rebuilt and used on the lakes here in Montana. I used to have a Tolly 48 and we spent 10 years on the Great Loop and side trips to the Bahamas and to Houston (via the Mississippi) so we are comfortable with cruising, but realize the 2650 is not a "outside" boat. Would you consider the passage from Ketchikan to Skagway reasonable for our boat? Is there a way to do a one way to Skagway, then trailer back to Montana?
    2650 Bayliner Explorer Express , 1980 model , single diesel; Isuza 4BDI, 280 outdrive,
    previous boats,
    Sea Ray 31, Tolly 48
    Great loop completed 2006
    10 year live aboard
    retired to land 2015
    rmitch

Mitch go for it , mostly protected , if the wind is up stop and cook a bit of Salmon.
    Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
    96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Are you going to ferry the boat up to Ketchikan and then have your tow rig and trailer ferried up to Skagway to wait for you?
      Esteban
      Panama City, Panama
      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

No problem in those waters with your boat. Just watch the weather.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

Mitch if your heading up to Price Rupert, go N. to Calgary and on to Red Deer all on #w2, at Calgary take the N.E bypass on to Red Deer, at that point 2nd exit 11A W. go to the round about short run then go N, on 20- at Asike W. turns in to 22 go N. by way of Drayton valley to 16 4 lane heads all the way to Prince Rupert. Notes good fuel stops Red Deer , Edson, Prince George the more W. you go price goes up. I make a night stop in Mc Bride camp ground is N. of town nice folks. Note I launch from Port Edwards more room at the ramp, early morning best to cross Dixon entrants, hope this helps.

Comment

It's definitely doable. About ten years ago a buddy and his wife trailered their 2558 from Everett to Prince Rupert. They took their boat from there to Skagway. They had the boat hauled out at Skagway and took the Alaska Ferry back to Prince Rupert. They following year they reversed the steps and took the boat back to Prince Rupert.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

Thanks so much for all the information, we may not go this year, some things have come up, but we are planning on next year. Thanks Fritz for the detail and we will follow your directions.
              2650 Bayliner Explorer Express , 1980 model , single diesel; Isuza 4BDI, 280 outdrive,
              previous boats,
              Sea Ray 31, Tolly 48
              Great loop completed 2006
              10 year live aboard
              retired to land 2015
              rmitch

Comment

If you read the book “Th Big U” you’ll meet a couple that motored their single diesel trawler from Seattle to New York, through the Panama Canal!
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]

Comment

The best of plans get hick ups, I know to well was going N. this year but things get in the way.

Comment

You may never read this as I'm late on the post but don't let anyone kid you. Yes, of course it can be done but the Inside Passage is not a piece of cake. I've run boats in Southeast Alaska my entire working life. It has some of the meanest water you've ever seen when 18 foot tides start backing into opposing winds. My wife and I just finished 3 weeks traveling in our 3288 and we saw 3 rocks that weren't on the chart, paper or plotter. Makes you wonder how many you didn't see. Really good harbors are few and far between even though it looks like there are plenty on paper. The Passages like Clarence Strait, Frederick Sound and Stephans Passage are many miles long and miles wide. Upper Chatham Strait can be especially wicked. It can be glassy calm as well but you really want to have your (you know what) together. Your anchor gear, your machine, clean fuel tanks etc. There are miles where you can't get any weather reports and a few places where you'll notice on your GPS your boat is in the trees when you are no where near the beach. Ketchikan to Petersburg is 112 miles. PBurg to Juneau is 110 and that is the beaten path, there is nothing in between. Head up lower Chatham and you are on your own. It's big water. Remember the tide is like a river and when the wind is against the tide seas spring up from nowhere. And debris in the water is a constant worry especially south of Petersburg. Don't let me scare you off. Just don't think of it as a picnic. Stay alert, stay focused, don't have to be somewhere. Travel as the weather lets you. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X