X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to Find Buddy Boat for May-June 2019

My partner Leslyn and I will be heading out from Anacortes, WA
    mid to late May with the goal of maybe getting up to Alert Bay
    but no farther this year. The end of our cruise would be late June.
    Anybody know anybody interested in buddy boating that loose
    itinerary? Any ideas on where else to find a buddy boat?
    We did Des Moines, WA to Squamish, BC last year with a buddy
    boat for part of the trip. That part was the most fun.
    1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
    7.4 Mercruiser
    Still learning about other systems
    and specs.

Go find Viking Star in Cap Sante and introduce yourselves to Al & Kristi. Viking Star is roughly 50 feet - she's Monk McQueen woodie - I'm not sure which dock they're on but they won't be hard to find. They usually winter in Friday Harbor but they're in Cap Sante this winter and - as far as I know anyway - will be in the Gulf Islands and Desolation in the summer. At the least they'd be somebody to meet up with and they're good people.
    R.J.(Bob) Evans
    Buchanan, SK
    Cierra 2755
    Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
    Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Cool. Will do.
      1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
      7.4 Mercruiser
      and specs.

Comment

Buddy boating is one of our great joys. A resource I can't recommend strongly enough are yacht clubs. Before you decide you've read enough, hear me out. I know the stereotype image is a bunch of guys standing around in blue blazers holding drinks and trying to impress the next person about anything that would impress that person. And, yes there are those clubs. However, there are many more that are much more appealing to most of us. I look at as kind of like finding a church, find one where you, and your partner, are comfortable. It doesn't need to be based near your boat, if fact, my club, Edmonds Yacht Club has more boats moored away from Edmonds than at Edmonds including several in Anacortes.
        In addition to the social side, you gain a network for not only where to go but folks to go with. If the club offers cruises, they may range from organized to disorganized. For example, Edmonds has several organized cruises where moorage, entertainment and most meals are planned or provided. On the other hand there are several casual cruises where marina arrangements are made and from there everyone is on their own. Many of our members buddy boat on everything from a long planned cruise to "we are going to ______, wanna meet us there?" There is also reciprocal moorage privileges at yacht clubs all over, San Juan YC welcomes visitors to their burger nights last I heard, and Lahina Yacht Club offers good food and drinks on the Lahina waterfront at about half the price of the restaurants next door. If you want to explore this, pm me. Obviously, the Admiral and I enjoy it and are happy to share.
        Look for Al and Sue Smith on Sunshine at Cap Sante. They are really fun, laid back people.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Another good tip, thanks. Will contact them too.
          I live 1000 miles away from where our boat is. There
          is a great yacht club near us, but it wouldn't have anybody
          cruising Puget Sound.
          1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
          7.4 Mercruiser
          and specs.

Comment

+1 what Pete said. That is why I am a member of PSYC.
            Ted G
            The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
            Designers Edition
            Mercury 350 Mag
            290 Volvo DP

Comment

Working...
            X