South Puget Sound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Puget Sound

We are starting to plan a trip towing our 245 Ciera from Spokane, WA to Lake Washington probably August. We want to go through the Ballard locks and head south for exploring for a week or so. We have already spent a fantastic week in the San Juans out of Anacortes, so we thought we would explore going south, Tacoma, down to Olympia and back. I lived in Port Angeles and Port Townsend for years but have never explored the water-front from our boat. What can you suggest we see and do? What can you tell us about the locks so we don't embarrass ourselves? What are some great places to anchor out? Any must-see marinas? Thanks!

You have a smaller boat so they are going to have your raft up most likely... prepare to do so , a couple of ball fenders will come Handy since they're wider.
    many south Sound cruising video on my current thread.
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...-42-ac-project
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

It looks like a good launch ramp might be Coulon Beach Park in Renton, can we leave our truck and trailer safely for a week ? Any other spots to launch that may be better? Thanks for the local knowledge!

Comment

There are a lot of of nice places there. Of course not necessarily south sound but there is Poulsbo , Blake island and tillicum village and the salmon feed.

cutts island state park is nice and its Olympia and beyond. I used to anchor out in nisqually flats area and the state park there. Some of the South sound areas see a large tidal exchange and are shallow areas and if not careful you can find yourself in the mud. I like the south sound not so many boaters and more peaceful water.

Des moines marina has a a nice sling launch but that is pretty south compared to Seattle area. There Is also point defiance and the zoo and lots of other things to see in those areas. Many of those towns have farmers markets to explore and so on.
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

Here is a free book share if you have the Audible app. http://a.co/9FykLLx It's about cruising south sound. I listened to it along time ago so i cant remember much about it but hey its free
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

Not sure if Coulon is the best place to park for a week. There may be more secure places toward the north end of the lake. Also, transient moorage can be a challenge on the lakes unless you are a yacht club member with reciprocal privileges, then there are lots of options. You may want to go to Edmonds and launch there, hoist in, then go in through the locks for a day or so on the lakes. It may also be at a time where you are going the opposite direction of everyone else. The only legal anchorage in the lake is Anderson Bay, and it has limitations. Staying at Kirkland is going to be bouncy, the docks are unprotected from passing wake boarders.
            The places on my short list would be Poulsbo, Winslow/Bainbridge Island, Blake Island S.P., Gig Harbor, Longbranch, Perceval Landing at Olympia (OYC) if recip, Jarrells Cove, Dock Street in Tacoma, very near the glass museum & studios and a short Uber to the Lemay car museum, Quartermaster Harbor and a bunch of State Parks mostly without docks to my knowledge.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Pretty much what Pcpete said. His list is more than enough to fill a week. Longbranch was remote and a pleasant surprise and we we also pleasantly surprised by Olympia where we stayed at the municipal marina and walked or Ubered around. Great farmers market in Oly.
              Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
              Sammamish WA
              1998 4788 (April 2018)
              ”Knot Home”

Comment

The last time I launched and needed secure parking I went to dagmars in Everett. It's in a secured and locked area and have lots of parkkng. They said parking was $10 a day but when i went to pay it they said not to worry about it. So I was able to park there for 14 days free. It's a little south about 30 miles south of Seattle but its not a bad drive.

They have a good launch and secure services. You will have to be careful of launch times in a lot of that area as you wont be able to launch during low tide so plan acordingly. I also am from spokane and it seems that if you want to catch the tide right you either have to leave spokane like at 2 or 3 am or wait for the evening tide depending. It never seems convinient times. But them i launch a pretty big boat and i need a good launch.

Also like I said des moines has a good sling launch and port orchard isn't bad either but you will have to contend with the Tacoma narrows bridge traffic and toll at port orchard.

twin 454's
                MV Mar-Y-Sol
                Twin chevy 350's inboard
                Ben- Jamin
                spokane Washington

Comment

Correction on Dagmar’s location. North, not south of Seattle. We store or boat there and can attest to the friendliness of the staff. It’s located on the Snohomish River about two miles upstream from the Port of Everett marina. If you exit the river during an outgoing tide, especially if it’s going to a minus, and the North Wind is blowing as it usually does in the afternoon, it can be rough getting past the Navy Base. It gets better past the pier then flattens out after you round the point at Mukilteo.
                  P/C Pete
                  1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                  MMSI 367770440

Comment

Coulon would probably be ok, they do lock the gates at night. It's $20 a day parking for non residents. I have left my rig there many times but not for a week. Another option might be Newcastle Marina at Bellevue Boat. That is just a couple miles north of Coulon. There is also a ramp on Mercer Island but I do not no what the parking is like there but Bellevue Police keeps their boats there.
                    Ted G
                    The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                    Designers Edition
                    Mercury 350 Mag
                    290 Volvo DP

Comment

Originally posted by yachtman View Post
                      There are a lot of of nice places there. Of course not necessarily south sound but there is Poulsbo , Blake island and tillicum village and the salmon feed.

cutts island state park is nice and its Olympia and beyond. I used to anchor out in nisqually flats area and the state park there. Some of the South sound areas see a large tidal exchange and are shallow areas and if not careful you can find yourself in the mud. I like the south sound not so many boaters and more peaceful water.

Des moines marina has a a nice sling launch but that is pretty south compared to Seattle area. There Is also point defiance and the zoo and lots of other things to see in those areas. Many of those towns have farmers markets to explore and so on.
                      Des Moines marina sling has been removed. Longbranch has lots of good moorage.
                      Started boating 1965
                      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Check out Gig Harbor and Quartermaster Harbor.
                        Started boating 1965
                        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Thanks for all your ideas! Turns out that family can store the truck/trailer for the time we're out. July 19 we launch, do the locks and stay in Poulsbo. Then Bremerton, Gig Harbor and into Olympia on July 22. Up to Tacoma then Bell Harbor downtown Seattle, ending up back at Coulon July 25. We are super excited, it's always great when looking forward to making cruise plans a reality!

Comment

http://www.ballardlocks.org/boating-information.html
                            Incidentally, Dagmars’s is about an hour and a half run to the locks in your boat. There’s not a lot of transient moorage in the lakes, but if you are a member of a yacht club there are quite a few. The one and only anchorage is at Andrews Bay.
                            P/C Pete
                            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                            X