Seattle Boat Show 2018

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seattle Boat Show 2018

I just made flight reservations to fly to Seattle for the boat show Jan 27th-31st 2018. I am from CA and have little experience in Seattle or Washington State. We will have a couple extra days to explore. We would like to get out on the water and I have been researching ferries. Do any of you locals have suggestions on what ferry route we might take? I am also looking for idea's on a hotel on or near the water?
    2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
    Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
    Sanger wakeboard boat
    volunteer CA Delta tour guide

The Big Seattle Boat Show offers some hotels, including one on the water for a good rate. All ferries go somewhere fun. Do a nice loop. Seattle to Bainbridge and drive up to Kingston and come back to Mulkiteo. Or Seattle to Bremerton and back via either Bainbridge or Kingston. Both great drives. I like Bainbridge, but that is just me.
    Tally and Vicki
    "Wickus" Meridian 341
    MMSI 338014939

Comment

Having moved from SoCal to Seattle in ‘88 one of my favorite places is Gig Harbor. It’s about an hours drive south of Seattle and reminds me of Newport in the 70’s. There’s an outfit in town that rents houseboats by the night that are moored permanently next to the public dock. They’re as “on the water” as you’re gonna get, and walking distance to some great little shops and restaurants. Google “Gig Harbor Houseboats” and I’m sure they’ll come up.
      Drew Haas
      1998 4788 "Painkiller"

Comment

If you have transportation and time I would drive to Anacortes and do the ferry run through the San Juan's. Seattle to Bainbridge is also very nice or Seattle to Bremerton is a nice 1 hour run with great scenery. You really can't go wrong with any of them.
        Ted G
        The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
        Designers Edition
        Mercury 350 Mag
        290 Volvo DP

Comment

Or, drive down to Tacoma and check on my boat (just kidding).
          1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
          7.4 Mercruiser
          Still learning about other systems
          and specs.

Comment

Uh, Talman, the ferry from Kingston goes to Edmonds, but I’d add stops in Poulsbo (Sluys Bakery is a must), and Port Gamble (one of the Admirals favorite fabric/quilt shops and the old company store) then maybe on to Port Townsend (a center for wooden boat building and maintenance and shop til she drops fun) then ferry to Coupville and drive to Clinton and Mukilteo. A night in Port Townsend is a good plan so you can see Fort Warden where Officer and a Gentleman was filmed as well as one site of a triangle of guns protecting Puget Sound 100 years ago, an a much more relaxing drive.
            If you don’t rent a car, you could take the Victoria Clipper to Victoria, BC for an overnight and touring in a city that is more British than the British. Buchart Gardens are awesome any time of year and the local bus system goes there. Yet another option would be to take the Washington State Ferry through the San Juan’s, stay in Victoria then either ale the BC ferry from Schwartz Bay to Tswassen (south of Vancouver) or drive up island to Nanimo and ferry to Horseshoe Bay just across Lions Gate from Vancouver.
            Its going to be grey and chilly, but that’s just part of the PNW, so bring layers.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
            MMSI 367770440
            1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
            Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

• talman
              talman commented
              Editing a comment
              Ya, and Edmonds is a 'burb of Seattle. It makes a loop is my point. Seattle-Bainbridge-Kingson-Edmonds-Seattle. I did it with my finger on a map. Pretty sure it works that way. (

Driving around Seattle can be a real pain. If you can get a room near the big boats on the water at Lake Union you can take the free shuttle between there and the big indoor boat show at Century Link. It's also a nice walk from that to the downtown ferry terminal to either Winslow on Bainbridge Island or Bremerton. From either ferry, it is a nice drive to Poulsbo, maybe 40 minutes. From there Port Gamble and Port Townsend are worth a visit too as someone noted.
            1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

I have pressed the imaginary "Thank You Button" for all of you. Thanks for the great idea's. I need to study the options but we will definitely check out Bainbridge, Anacortes and Gig Harbor. Love the idea of staying on a houseboat at Gig Harbor. I wonder if that would be an option at Lake Union? I stayed on a houseboat a couple of years ago in Philadelphia through Boatel and loved it.
              2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
              Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
              Sanger wakeboard boat
              volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Comment

[QUOTE=. I wonder if that would be an option at Lake Union? I stayed on a houseboat a couple of years ago in Philadelphia through Boatel and loved it. [/QUOTE]
                Check Air BnB. I know a guy that has a SR Sundancer on Lake union there. Might be some houseboats too.

Ted G
                The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                Designers Edition
                Mercury 350 Mag
                290 Volvo DP

Comment

Originally posted by nwboater62 View Post
                  If you have transportation and time I would drive to Anacortes and do the ferry run through the San Juan's.
                  +1
                  1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                  2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

Does anyone know which bus runs from the Bremerton ferry to Centurylink?

Comment

• green650
                      green650 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you have an IPhone click on maps, put settings to transit, then type in where you want to go. It will tell you which intersection to walk to what bus to get on or what train to get on.

Originally posted by CaptJim2 View Post
                    Does anyone know which bus runs from the Bremerton ferry to Centurylink?
                    You can walk easily.

Wish I was going.
                    1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
                    7.4 Mercruiser
                    Still learning about other systems
                    and specs.

Comment

Here is the link to the Metro Bus Schedules
                      Its been a LONG time since I was on a bus in Seattle, but they used to be free within the city.
                      Also, I do recall seeing a news piece on aggressive Uber/Cab drivers down by the docks.
                      97 2859

Comment

Thanks.Hate driving and parking in Seattle.

Comment

Yep 10-15 minute walk
                          Dave
                          Edmonds, WA
                          "THE FIX"
                          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                          Misc. projects thread
                          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Working...
                          X