No announcement yet.

Cruising dreams and plans.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kevin, I am sitting currently at the Marriott Marquis Marina in San Diego and couldn’t be happier! Yes it costs more than what we where paying in Portland (400 and now 1200) but we get so much more. We have use of alll the pools, gym, and all the other resort amenities. The weather in basically perfect and there is so much to do here! If you have any questions feel free to IM me.

Comment

I ave been on a SOCAL vacation for the last week or so. San Diego, Anaheim, Now Santa Barbara.
      I grew up in this area, and love the weather.

This trip has renewed my interest very strongly in being here during the winter months and cruising Alaska during the summers.
      The weather is Fantastic, lots to see, and the harbors are nice!

I love traveling, but the only thing I do not love about it is suitcases and having to eat high calorie food in Restraunts every meal.
      Our 4788 is the perfect home away from home and I cannot wait till we can bring it down here.

BTW, we are eating at the original #1 Sambos this morning. I can see the harbor right now, and the sun has just risen. Wonderful!!

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
        I ave been on a SOCAL vacation for the last week or so. San Diego, Anaheim, Now Santa Barbara.
        I grew up in this area, and love the weather.

This trip has renewed my interest very strongly in being here during the winter months and cruising Alaska during the summers.
        The weather is Fantastic, lots to see, and the harbors are nice!

I love traveling, but the only thing I do not love about it is suitcases and having to eat high calorie food in Restraunts every meal.
        Our 4788 is the perfect home away from home and I cannot wait till we can bring it down here.

BTW, we are eating at the original #1 Sambos this morning. I can see the harbor right now, and the sun has just risen. Wonderful!!
        I was in your neck of the woods two weeks ago, up in Thousand Oaks and Santa Monica.

Yep, I still love it there. I would totally move down there tomorrow if I could.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

the Crows's Nest now on the great loop Living the dream
          1984 3870 bayliner

Comment

Originally posted by oldcrow View Post
            the Crows's Nest now on the great loop Living the dream
            I am VERY jealous right now!!!

Congratulations!!

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY
            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Realistic Pacific NW plans now that we are retired and (we hope) soon to be in a 4788: Barkely Sound/Uculet on the west (great fishing and great scenery); Broughtons on the north. Desolation Sound and vicinity this summer. Tentative plans to go with a Waggoner flotilla to Ketchikan next year. Lots of local cruising for the next 4 years as well. Dream - circumnavigate Vancouver Island. BIIIG DREAM, sell out house, boat, etc. in the Pac NW, purchase a 54 OA or similar and do the great loop then probably retire from major boating and go back to the PNW.
              Patti & Gordon Lewandowski
              Sammamish WA
              1998 4788 (April 2018)
              ”Knot Home”

Comment

Originally posted by yachtman View Post
                I am from Washington State. I have always wanted to cruise to Alaska and back but I cant.do that until I retire which will probably never happen. .
                Ditto! And most everything else you said.

Ted G
                The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                Designers Edition
                Mercury 350 Mag
                290 Volvo DP

Comment

We are planning a 2 week cruise this coming August to Georgian Bay and the North Channel and we are looking for tips from anyone familiar with this area of the Great Lakes. Things like ‘must see’ stops, favoite anchorages etc. Any input would be appreciated since this is or first trip to that area. Our fist stop would be Tobermory and we were thinking to head toward Perry Sound and then work our way North.
                  'No Worries'
                  1995 4788
                  1995 26 Albemarle CC
                  Lake St Clair Mi

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	422818Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	422819Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	422820 I’m thinking about cruising over to Kodiak Alaska this summer.

It’s about a hundred mile open water crossing... not bad but like any crossing I’ll have to pick a nice day.

If I don’t do thgat I’ll probably cruise down to southern Alaska and visit our kid in Ketchikan

That would involve a open water crossing at a minimum of 210nm but I’ve done it before. Just watch the weather.
                    If I decide to go south I can choose to either go for it, and stay outside making the trip about 325nm or I can go inside and make the 210nm jaunt across the gulf.
                    I am strongly inclined to stay inside as the jump off place is a really great anchorage and I can do the 210nm run in about 24 hours.
                    After that I’d have another 140NM run in open water, but that is really just a long day trip.

KEVIN SANDERS
                    4788 LISAS WAY
                    SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Interesting, the thread did not update after my last post

KEVIN SANDERS
                      4788 LISAS WAY
                      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

Anyone in the Pacific NW really needs to take a trip to SE Alaska in their boat. From Seattle plan at least 5 weeks. We did it before I retired. I had a lot of vacation saved up. If you have kids, try to do it before they are teens. It will be a trip they and you will remember for a life time. Lots of books to help you plan and execute. Having a buddy boat or 2 along assists with overall safety. More than 2 or 3 boats drives up chance of a major boat repair on one and the wait for parts. Several friends have made the trip in smaller boats, 25 and 26 footers, but most in larger boats to be more comfortable in wet weather, there is a lot of that. An old boss did it every summer in a 23 foot mostly open boat.
                        Started boating 1965
                        Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Still sitting in the sun room over looking our creek, our boat in her lift and the middle Chesapeake Bay waiting for winter to let go. I had hoped that the weather would cooperate enough last weekend to do spring commissioning and start with some day trips. Had the same hope for this weekend. Winter just doesn't want to let go and let us continue our cruising plan of exploring the gunk-holes of the Chesapeake. Since getting our boat two seasons ago, we've been slowly expanding our range from our home creek in the middle Chesapeake, exploring every river and creek. This season's highlights will be making it down to Solomon's Island and hopefully Smith Island and maybe the Choptank River. We also want to check out a few places where transient slips are available and stay more than a couple days, especially if there are spa facilities for the wife.
                          Rick
                          "Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X