175 Hino 200 rpms less on port

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

175 Hino 200 rpms less on port

Looking for suggestions. Port engine isn’t producing full power under load. It starts instantly, Idles perfectly runs perfectly up to about 2200 rpms, then seems to not produce power and stays 200 rpms less that the starboard. It easily reaches full rpms out of gear and it runs smoothly at any rpm. I managed to get on plane a few times with an empty water tank and 1/4 tanks of fuel - max 16 mph. With a full water tank I couldn’t get on plane and made 12-13 mph. The starboard engine would only get to 2800 rpms while the port would get to 2600. Today I filled the tanks and couldn’t get 10 mph. 2400 and 2600 rpms. Both engines produce a small amount of black smoke at full power- no smoke when the throttles are reduced.
    Bottom and running gear is clean. Air filter is clean. Racors are clean. Fuel vent is open.
    The problem seemed to begin with a clogged primary fuel filter.... I’ve replaced all 3 fuel filters, had the injectors tested and replaced tips. I checked/adjusted the valves.
    Related or Not???- During all this I changed the oil and the pressure is now a little lower AND it seems to be getting fuel in the oil. Looks like I’ve gained a quart or two oil after about 15 hours of use when I’d normally be adding a quart or two.
    There are two marks on the flywheel at the 15 degree position- one is between the 1/5 and the other is right after the 5..... my fuel pump timing seems to be set exactly on the second mark....slightly off in the middle position.
    Whats next? Compression test? Fuel pressure test?

Following along. I have a similar issue with my starboard engine. Starts easy, runs smooth but seems low on power past ~2000 rpm. Only last year did I try and get it to run as fast I could, usually I putter around. There is a point where the port engine is dragging the starboard engine till it catches up. Port hits 3000+ out of gear, 2800 only on starboard. This is with the air filters removed. Not trying to hijack, but I feel some similarities here and I'll be stealing suggestions, lol.
    . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Gaining a quart or two of fuel in the oil in 15 hrs runtime would alarm me. Did the boat make 3000 rpm on both motors in the past? Why were the injectors rebuilt?
      It would be a good time to discuss this with Earl- he’s the resident Hino expert- Where are you located?
      Gibraltar, Mi.
      1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
      34' Tollycraft- sold
      88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
      14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

I keep reading about Earl, but the website people link to doesn’t seem to find him.
        The boat will hit 21-22 mph at WOT when everything is clean underneath. I usually cruise about 16.
        The right engine produced black smoke at 90 percent power.... so I had the injectors checked and they said the spray had no pattern and replaced all 6 nossels (someone had worked on them in the past). Installed them - ran great with no more smoke.
        After some hours of drift fishing with the eng at idle, the port engine stalled as we went in at speed. I quickly changed the primary Racor- it was black (I use 30 micron primary - 2 micron secondary, plus the engine mounted) and continued in. During the next trips I noticed the port engine wasn’t making full power. I checked the filters (drained the water separator and replaced the engine secondary filter. No change. I cleaned all the sediment out of the primary Racor bowl. I checked the valves and made a couple of very minor adjustments.....I checked the tank vent and pick up tube,.. then i took the port injectors in for service. These appeared to be original. The shop told me these had the wrong nossels??? I gave them the factory part number and explained they just did my other nossels a few months ago. The starboard nossels were a different from the port and the factory number??? WTH.... we decided to use the same nossels as were previously used in the starboard eng. as it ran great - the pattern angle is only slightly different from the factory tips.
        I was at my wits end. I keep thinking it must be a fuel issue. This evening I swapped out both Racor filters - AGAIN. I ran the boat this evening and got 18.7 mph on plane with no smoke. Starboard 2900 rpms Port 2700 rpms. (This morning I got 9 mph, not on plane, with a little black smoke from both engines)
        Maybe I need to turn up the fuel a bit on the port engine? Does anyone know how to do this on a Hino?

Comment

Earl’s email is esumfla@aol.com
          With the filters clogging so regularly, you should think about having your fuel tanks cleaned and fuel polished.
          P/C Pete
          Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
          Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
          1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
          MMSI 367770440
          1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
          Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

I have the same thing going on (135 hino) ) been getting worse. Called Earl, (search Earl for P#) he said blocked Riser not letting turbo spool up, is yours running a little hot? Pulled the riser and inside is about 1/2 the size it should be due to rust, waiting parts
            1988 3270
            135 hinos
            Seldovia ALASKA
            KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
            KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
            Marine canvas/Upholstery
            since 1975

Comment

Working...
            X