Boat posting fraud notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat posting fraud notice

I posted a listing for a boat and the same pics and summary I used on this site were used to create a fraudulent listing on craigslist.

Just passing along as a reminder that dirtbag scammers are monitoring. Its wise to Google your own summary to see if any false ads are located.

Craigslist terminated the false ad within 30 minutes of notice I sent, which is great.

Probably the same folks who keep calling us trying to sell car warranties and Visa card accounts.
    2008 H210SS Four Winns
    Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
    Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
    Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Or sending us text messages claiming they’re the IRS and we owe big money or we go to jail.
    Unfortunately it happens more often than not🙁
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Yes, I have to laugh when someone calls saying they are the IRS and I will be arrested as I live in Canada and we have the CRA. A dead giveaway lol.
      P/C Bob Hicks JN
      Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
      Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
      Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
      Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
      Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

There are so may fraudulent ads on CL I almost wish they would charge a fee to list, maybe that would limit the fraudsters.
      They should easily be able to limit the amount of different ads posted across the country by the same ip address, but I don’t think they care that much.
      Esteban
      Huntington Beach, California
      2018 Element 16
      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
        I posted a listing for a boat and the same pics and summary I used on this site were used to create a fraudulent listing on craigslist.

Just passing along as a reminder that dirtbag scammers are monitoring. Its wise to Google your own summary to see if any false ads are located.

Craigslist terminated the false ad within 30 minutes of notice I sent, which is great.

Probably the same folks who keep calling us trying to sell car warranties and Visa card accounts.

A dead giveaway is when you see something listed in Seattle and there are palm trees/ mesquite/ oak tress in the background.
        Esteban
        Huntington Beach, California
        2018 Element 16
        Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
        Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Originally posted by green650 View Post
          There are so may fraudulent ads on CL I almost wish they would charge a fee to list, maybe that would limit the fraudsters.
          They should easily be able to limit the amount of different ads posted across the country by the same ip address, but I don’t think they care that much.
          It's not just the ads, it's also those replying to legit ads. About 30% of the replies to a recent car for sale ad I placed were definitely scams; another 20%-30% seemed suspicious.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

The other issue is once your ad is registered as fraud it makes the legit ad seem fraudulent. The internet and phone scams of today equate to horse theft in the 1800s.

They didnt hang horse thieves to punish the thief.... ...they hung horse thieves to stop horses from being stolen!
            2008 H210SS Four Winns
            Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
            Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
            Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Working...
            X