1986 28' Contessa Sunbridge for "sale"- actually free, Tacoma, WA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 28' Contessa Sunbridge for "sale"- actually free, Tacoma, WA

UPDATE: "SOLD" to a BOC member! (If someone can tell me how to edit the title, I'll change it)

1986 28' Bayliner Contessa sunbridge boat. Boat works but will need significant repair in the future. No trailer. It is in a boathouse at Day Island Yacht Harbor near Tacoma currently.

We decided to sell our 1986 28' Bayliner sunbridge Contessa and took it to the shop for bottom paint, outdrive service and tune-up prior to putting it up for sale. During the tune-up they noticed that cylinder 7 doesn't come up to compression and that there is water in the cylinder. We were told this could be either of a couple of things: exhaust risers need replacing or the engine needs replacing, sooner rather than later. Engine is Mercruiser 350 Mag.​ Outdrive is Volvo-Penta 280 duoprop. The shop quoted us around $9K to replace the engine. A fully functioning boat of this type is worth around $8K. - The choice was to put in the new engine and try the sell the boat for what we had into it, or to give it away without having the new engine put in. It would be a wash, dollar-wise, either way. We decided to go the "give it away" route.

The bottom paint, sterndrive servicing, etc. were done in October 2017.

We would like to "re-home" the boat to someone who is mechanically inclined and could put in a new or used engine for much less than the shop.

We've enjoyed the boat. We took it to the San Juans from Tacoma last summer. Boat runs currently. We drove the boat on its own bottom back to the boathouse after having been in the shop. It came up on plane without any trouble.

There is a pinhole leak in water heater. When we were planning to sell the boat we were going to replace the water heater first...but at this price ($0), we aren't going to. As long as the water pump isn't turned on, the water heater doesn't leak.

Boathouse is for sale, if you need a place to put the boat.

Will try to figure out how to post pictures.

Private message if interested.

Click image for larger version  Name:	boat jarrell.jpg Views:	1 Size:	657.2 KB ID:	401953
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2013 New canvas side view.jpg Views:	1 Size:	288.7 KB ID:	401954
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Boathouse 20150207.jpg Views:	1 Size:	180.2 KB ID:	401955

Wow! That’s a nice looking Sunbridge. Just thinking, you’ll want to check with your, or a tax person, but it may be to your advantage to donate the boat to a charity that will move it to a new owner quickly. Best to check with someone knows how the new tax changes effect this type of donation in your situation.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
    MMSI 367770440
    1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
    Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Yeah, I started thinking of that seriously on the next to last day of 2017...a bit too late to make it happen. It would have been good for us in 2017 as we had accelerated some of our other 2018 charitable contributions into 2017. It won't help us in 2018 as we'll take the new, higher standard deduction. But we may look into donating it if no one on this site wants it. I'm not going to put an offer like this on craigslist because of all the crazies there.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody from BOC has jumped on this, if it were a FB I would have been towing it home already You have pics of the engine bay, drive, or interior to share? Is she closed cooled?
        BTW, my money's on failing exhaust components
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Rereading the shop diagnosis, I agree with builder. A riser joint is easy to check and not expensive to replace. The shop my have given you a worst case kind of scenario, yes, any engine may need to be replaced or rebuilt at some point, but if it runs, there might be a bunch less damage than your impression. If you are not comfortable doing mechanical stuff, call Dan Bowen, one of your Day Island members and either have him give you a hand or Point you to another member who can. Tell him I sent you, and I know he can help.
          P/C Pete
          1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
          MMSI 367770440

Comment

You would think I would have plenty of pictures of the engine bay, but as I look through them, they are all of "hard to see" places, where I had to take a picture to be able to see what is back there. Will try to get down there this weekend for a good picture.

Regarding the diagnosis likely being exhaust, the more I think about it, I think you're likely right. The captain checks the water level in the heat exchanger before he starts the engine, at the same time he checks the oil, and there has not been a need to refill the heat exchanger. The cooling system is half-closed...I think that is the right term? Engine water is fresh water, but the other half of the system is raw water.

We got the news from the shop the same week our first grandchild was born with serious health concerns, so we were making the "go/no go" decision while driving to and from the hospital. We were not in a position to objectively consider all the options.

@ PCPete, although we hang out at the Day Island Yacht Club facility as part of the Tacoma Power Squadron, we're not members there. Our boat house is across the way at Day Island Yacht Harbor.

Comment

If you do decide to donate it: I'd strongly consider donating it to this group
              Connecting you with our watersheds For their future join us
              97 2859

Comment

I hope your grandchild is OK.
                Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                1998 3055 Ciera
                (yes, a 1998)
                Previous boat: 1993 3055
                Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                Sea Doo XP
                Sea Doo GTI SE
                Life is short. Boats are cool.
                The family that plays together stays together.
                Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by itsabowtime2 View Post
                  I hope your grandchild is OK.
                  Thanks. Seattle Children's Hospital is pretty awesome, as we got to know over the month she was there. Grandchild will eventually be OK. Taking one day at a time.

Comment

As indicated in the edit to the original post, the boat is no longer available.

Comment

Children’s is AWESOME! Our second grandson has continuing health issues starting at birth. They have been supportive and proactive in every aspect. Your grandchild’s parents are going to need some serious emotional support from you and your captain. Cheerleading, rant receptionist, understanding ear, crying shoulder, all of it. Watch for their need and be ready when it comes with some preidenified professionals. It’s not weakness, and they will be reluctant because they might think they can push through, they need to be mentally fresh to support that youngster. Our prayers are with your family.
                      P/C Pete
                      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN
                      MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                      X