Any 3587 Owners With a Engine Space Generator? Need your opinion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 3587 Owners With a Engine Space Generator? Need your opinion

I'm looking into a nicely equipped 3587. It has a lot going for it and has been updated well, new electronics, bow thruster, diesel heat, etc. Unfortunately it has an electric stove and the accompanying 8 kw Westerbeke generator in the engine compartment. So far I have only seen photos but it is looking mighty tight in the engine space. It is not shielded and sits under the saloon floor between the two 6bta270s. If anyone has this same configuration can you tell me if the tight space has resulted in extra high maintenance expenses and would it just be too noisy in the cabin when the generator is running? Ive been looking for a good well maintained 4087/3587 for some time. Actually started out looking for a 3988 but have recently changed course. Seen some that on the surface appeared good but finding one that has been properly mechanically maintained, especially the after coolers in the 6bta Cummins has been another matter.
    Thanks
    Frank

My old one had an extended hull and the Genset was in that. Worked perfect and technically outside so super quiet. Maybe you need to look at the 4087. Both great boats but a gennie in that space. Would have Meade everything difficult
    BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
    5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
    Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

We have a 1995 3587 with twin WD06 Hinos and a Westerbeke between as you describe. I do all my own service work so I cannot say for sure if this translates into high labor service costs. I do suspect in the current market there may be additional time charged for certain jobs. You can get to everything but it seems like you may scrape your forearms a bit more often than you should. I think one needs to be cautious when shopping for a 3587/4087; it is an excellent floor plan but the awkwardness when servicing may cause owners/service techs to defer maintenance. We have a propane galley so the generator is used minimally but it is a handy item to have onboard, especially in winter when there isn't much solar output. We are very happy with the 3587 and well accept the challenges when doing the service work. The 3988 sure does have a nicer engine room layout. Feel free post or PM me if you have any other question regarding the 3587...
      1995 Bayliner 3587
      Twin Hino 250HP
      Located In Sidney BC, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it. I have been looking at the 4087s as well including some of the last years of production. After seeing the glowing descriptions and spending plenty to travel to see them in person it is really disheartening to see how poorly mechanically maintained many are. Most are powered with the Cummins 6bta in various HP, which are great engines if maintained. It is amazing however to see the blank stares when asking about after cooler servicing. On the Cummins after cooled engines it is an absolute must and Cummins states it needs to be done at least every two years (modifed from 3 years). It's not a hard job by any means but too many think stuffing in a pencil zinc is all it takes. That's about a $6k + mistake for each engine providing the core tubes haven't ruptured and allowed saltwater into the engine, then the sky is the limit. Just not a risk I am willing to take and most sellers do't want the mechanic to inspect the after coolers beyond visual if they don't have maintenance records. So the hunt continues. By the way I did'nt intend to post this under boats for sale, I must have messed up somewhere.

Comment

Working...
        X