Looking for a 1980(39)s 2060 Trophy Hard Top-gctid776740

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a 1980(39)s 2060 Trophy Hard Top-gctid776740

I've looked at many different models, and for what I want and need, the model 2060 Bayliner Trophy would be perfect.

The one I am referring to is the hardtop with cuddy cabin, but not the walkaround. It is 20' long, and powered by the Volvo Penta 4 cylinder 125HP I/O. I am not so worried about it needing work... most of these are now thirty years old of course, so most will, in any case, need something. I also would like one with a trailer.

I live in New York State, about 40 miles above the city. I don't mind a two day round trip to pick one up... which means anything to southern New Jersey, or even Ohio, or as far north as Rochester or even southern NH, VT, or ME. might work, for the right boat. I've scoured Craigslist, and unfortunately just missed a 1984 model 2060 in Naugatuck, CT (I called first, but someone else got to it before me!). I've attached a pic (with the name and number blurred) of that boat to give an idea of the model, for those not familiar with it.

Thanks in advance for any help. Rich.

Attached files

These aren't as common as the Ciera-based 1984+ Trophys (these are Explorer-based, and have a semi-planing hull), so I would tell you to look at 21 and 24 Trophys as well.

And given the age of these boats and attrition, you may need to travel to find one.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Thank you for the advice, I will look at those. One problem with a 21 footer would be my towing capacity... one thing I like about the 2060 is that it has about a 2700 pound displacement, so with a single axle trailer, I should still be OK with my 3600 pound tow capacity.

We will see... thanks again, Rich.

Comment

"proto57" post=776842 wrote:
        Thank you for the advice, I will look at those. One problem with a 21 footer would be my towing capacity... one thing I like about the 2060 is that it has about a 2700 pound displacement, so with a single axle trailer, I should still be OK with my 3600 pound tow capacity.

We will see... thanks again, Rich.
        The 2159 with a 4 cylinder won't be significantly more, honestly.

You can even get a 21 with a Force OB, or even twin Force OBs if you look.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Boom:

http://thumb.craigslist.org/boa/5854578758.html

Move fast!
          Matt Train
          BOC Site Team
          Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Thanks Matt, I'll check it out!

It looks like the hard top was raised, but otherwise looks stock, and in pretty good shape. I'll write to find out more. Rich.

Comment

"Download_Complete" post=776846 wrote:

The 2159 with a 4 cylinder won't be significantly more, honestly.

You can even get a 21 with a Force OB, or even twin Force OBs if you look.
              I'm sort of set on the inboard four cylinder, for what I need. I understand they are very under-powered, but I don't need speed... and the better mileage, ease of working on the motor, and that it is a Volvo engine... I am very familiar with those, having had several of that series in my 140 and 240 Volvos over the decades. I like them.

But I'll expand the search for the 4 cylinder 21's. I thought those only had V-8's or V-6's, so I stopped looking at them. Rich.

Comment

There are some 87-89 2160's with the little volvos. Mostly Pacific Northwest. The 2060 is a displacement hull works better with a putt-putt engine. The 2160 is a planing hull she wants a 305 or 350. My 1989 Trophy 2160 sits on a 900 lb. double axle trailer and weighs 4,000 lb. fully rigged. New 350 block, stock was 305. 5K tow load, it's not bad at all with a good tow rig. Don't skimp on your vehicle - over-loaded rigs are dangerous. Things break too.

I'm moving up soon and would sell at a fair price. Also a kicker is a huge plus on these boats.

Comment

"Reel Power" post=776961 wrote:
                  There are some 87-89 2160's with the little volvos. Mostly Pacific Northwest. The 2060 is a displacement hull works better with a putt-putt engine. The 2160 is a planing hull she wants a 305 or 350. My 1989 Trophy 2160 sits on a 900 lb. double axle trailer and weighs 4,000 lb. fully rigged. New 350 block, stock was 305. 5K tow load, it's not bad at all with a good tow rig. Don't skimp on your vehicle - over-loaded rigs are dangerous. Things break too.

I'm moving up soon and would sell at a fair price. Also a kicker is a huge plus on these boats.
                  Thanks much for the info, Reel Power.

I've been finding similar info to what you report. I've seen at least one 4 cylinder 21 footer on the East Coast... a real fixer upper for $750, about two hours from me. But all in all, I think I will stick with the 20 foot versions after all... I really need to keep the weight down as much as possible, I agree, and would like a single axle trailer... And I really like the idea that the 2060 is a displacement hull: I'm going to be using this as a search platform, all day slow speed, using side scan sonar. I don't need speed, but I do need economy.

The really good thing is that I now have all winter. I may also look into some sold boats, to see if the new owners will let them go... maybe change of heart or whatever. And also one of my favorite hobbies: Searching boatyards! Small chance of finding exactly the boat I want, but its fun anyway.

Comment

I've seen a few 2060s on Lake Ontario rigged for salmon. There's a good site with a classified section that you should keep an eye on: www.lakeontariounited.com

Bunch of hardcore salmon guys, lots of boat knowledge too. You might get a response to a WTB in their classifieds, can't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                    X