wanted 4788 bayliner-gctid771742

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wanted 4788 bayliner-gctid771742

I am looking to purchase a 4788 Bayliner I have2003 2359 Trophy Pro C/W Trailer would like to use as partial trade

if anyone looking to down size this is a great boat

Hello and welcome.

Perhaps post an area of the USA that you are looking in.

Also adding some range of years and budget might help narrow it down.

IN any case you will love the 47.
    Northport NY

Comment

I live on Vancouver Island so if in the pacific NW would work and most that I see in my price range would be 1996 to 2000

$150k -$200K

Comment

I just saw a few nice ones pop up in Bellingham in that price range. Check Craigslist.

There are about 6-7 in that price range from Anacortes to Bellingham...and one in Victoria for $325,000 hmy:

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/bod/5805383551.html
        Esteban
        B-ham!
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

I check craigslist not to many on by owner I would rather deal with owner no broker

Comment

Using or not using a broker won't save you much. This is a great time of year to be buying. When we were shopping for our 4788 I put together a list of all of the Greater-Seattle 4788s and methodically went down the list. We looked at half a dozen, made offers on three boats and finally got one for the price we were willing to pay. Keep a couple of things in mind.

If you buy a 4788 without a bow thruster and add one it will cost you $10-15K.

Same with diesel hydronic heat.

Upgrading electronics will cost you around that amount, too.

Better to buy a well-maintained boat with the options that you want on it instead of buying a less-expensive 4788 and adding them all on. Also consider the dinghy, removing the bow pulpit (if you need to), and adding a swimstep dinghy-holder. All of these cost bucks.

Yachtworld will show you more boats than Craigslist. I would use Craigslist as a last resort, not a first choice - but that's just me.

Comment

+1 to what Rob said

Especially in regards to using a broker. I bought our 3587 in June from a Craigslist ad, but I used a broker to do the transaction. Best money I ever spent.

I'm on the island and can recommend a good one if you PM me.

Ron
              Midnight Star
              1996 3587
              Twin diesels, Hino 250's
              Ladysmith, BC
              History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Comment

Not a good idea - IMHO
                Midnight Star
                1996 3587
                Twin diesels, Hino 250's
                Ladysmith, BC

Comment

if you used a broker on a private deal who paid the commission

Comment

"happyour" post=772136 wrote:
                    if you used a broker on a private deal who paid the commission
                    I paid a fee for his services.

Ron
                    Midnight Star
                    1996 3587
                    Twin diesels, Hino 250's
                    Ladysmith, BC

Comment

if you feel comfortable having someone doing the paperwork for !0% of the deal OK

Al

Comment

There's a problem with your logic of not using a broker as a buyer.

You are assuming that you'll be able to get the boat for 10% less.

When it is actually the seller that isn't hiring a broker, not you.

If a seller does not hire a broker the only reson he is doing that is thinking he's getting 10% more by cutting the broker out.

So both you the buyer and he the seller both want the same 10%

That and the simple matter is that mst large boats for sale are already listed with a broker, so you are dramatically limiting the pool of available boats, which if you havent noticed isn't many anyway.

Seems to me that if you are really serious you might just pick the best one you see, and try to negotiate a fair price for it. With so few for sale you are unlikely to negotiate your way into a steal of a deal, so you might as well move from looking to boating and have fun on the water.

KEVIN SANDERS
                        4788 LISAS WAY
                        SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

" Seems to me that if you are really serious you might just pick the best one you see, and try to negotiate a fair price for it"

This line of Kevin's says it all - find the best boat and work from there. Whether it is from a broker or owner it will not matter in the big picture. There are very few 47's out there without some form of issue or story - avoiding boats that have partially sunk, have major engine issues and/or have many deferred maintenance issues are the real challenges within your search.
                          Northport NY

Comment

+1 to what Kevin said.... both you and the seller will be trying to save the same 10%. From my experience the individual with the FSBO mindset may actually cost you money, simply due to their lack of education and access to sold data.

My wife and I just purchased a 4788 in August (through a broker) after researching the boats for the last two years and watching the prices over the last 5 years on CL and YW. We also negotiated on three different boats and in every case I found that the brokers did an excellent job at attempting to negotiate my "lower than asking price" offer. As long as the brokers you are working with are very familiar with the boats... you will find that their knowledge and access to "sold" data will help you immensely. The price we ended up paying, for the boat that we received in return, was excellent and far better than most FSBO prices.

Enjoy the process!!

Jason
                            Jason M.
                            Bellevue, Washington
                            4788 "Third Day"
                            Cummins 330's

Comment

It is hard to find people that are willing to do a 6 figure (or close to it if you are getting a steal) deal without some sort of broker. They exist but if that is the must have criteria the pool of items will be greatly diminished. I get that it is a lot of money to most people and when dealing with that much they want a professional and some of the lack of hassle of going and dealing with escrow accounts, etc.. I personally wouldn't have a problem doing the legwork but I know that would also potentially turn away some buyers because they think FSBO is somehow shady.

As a buyer I would rather be working with the person that has lived with the boat for a period of time to find the ins and outs. A survey just doesn't have enough time in it to really get everything on a boat with this many systems.

Boats are a small market don't make it smaller.

All you have to do is look to the used car market and as the prices have gone up so much that you just don't find later model cars FSBO. Most people don't want to do big transactions on a handshake.
                              1989 3888
                              Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Working...
                              X