Is renting a viable option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is renting a viable option?

Hi all. We have a 43ft Californian m/y that we love, but don't get to use much right now. We have to decide whether to sell or rent out. I imagine the Insurance and liability issues could be prohibitive. Anyone have any experience and/or advice? Thanks.

I am very familiar with my policy and it specifically prohibits any commercial use of my boat.
    You would probably need to get specific coverage, but I do see boats for rent on Air B n B. I wonder if they are operating “under the table”

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    where are we right now​​​​​​???​

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

Comment

I would second investigating AirBnB.
      John
      1986 Marinette 39 Sedan after enjoying our 1984 Marinette 28
      (formerly 89 2755 5.8 OMC & 97 1850SS 4.3L Alpha I)

Comment

I agree with the folks who suggest AirBnB but there are several ways to go with that. Those that stay at the dock are the most popular followed by boats with professional crew. I would encourage discussions with local professional crew to determine cost factors for that. There is insurance for renting out vessels and the cost is not prohibitive but it will limit those who can rent the larger vessels. Insurance will require credentialing of the operators most likely. The other option of course is leasing (operator must provide specified insurance). If you have a mortgage on the vessel this could be prohibited by your mortgage holder.

Comment

Where are you located?

Comment

So here is the problem with AirBnB and a boat. Everyone is doing it and everyone is getting away with it. This doesn’t make it legal. Is your marina in a city? If yes I bet you are in violation of all kinds of hotel laws, possibly marina rules. Marina leases are considered commercial leases so evictions are quicker and cause is of little importance. Even though the boat is tied to the dock, Coast Guard Regulations apply. You might not need a License Captain but if the boat sinks in the middle of the night and there is an injury you are going to learn all about maritime law and commercial operations.
            Azzurra
            Seattle, WA
            Ocean Alexander 54

Comment

Thanks everyone. I have been offline for a while so am only seeing this info now. Currently based in Palmetto FL at the Riviera Dunes. Pretty sure Airbnb would not go down well here. I'm going to call our insurance agent, and maybe a few more, and find out about leasing. Also, does anyone know much about having your boat in a charter company to offset costs?

Comment

Working...
              X