We cut the cord...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We cut the cord...

For the first time in 50 years, I have no landline or account with a telephone company. Frontier was costing us $84 a month for crappy internet service, and a landline that was at least 95% spam calls. For $30 a month extra, I get unlimited data from my cell carrier, Consumer Cellular. The total for unlimited data, talk and text with two lines will be @ $78 a month. There is a potential throttle at 35 gigs, but we don't stream or game, so I'm not worried. They just seem to get better every year, and no contracts. We've been customers since August 2006...
    Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    |
    Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 12 others...
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

I cut my landline way back in March of 2007. We all have cell phones and the land line was not getting used so I shut it down. Wife was not happy about it at the time but she adjusted.
    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
    2021 Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
    www.wrycc.com

Comment

Good for you. I've used Consumer Cellular for over ten years. No BS and solid GSM coverage on either ATT or TMobile.
      Irony
      1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
      Portsmouth, NH

Comment

I cut the phone & cable tv cord several years ago. Was tired of costly set top boxes, bundled tv packages and spam phone calls. I’ve since been cell phone only, stream everything via the internet and get my local broadcasting over the air.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

TV is the next step. I've had Dish Network since 1997, and we'll keep that for now, because we also use it in the RV. But they charge me $12 a month for Phoenix "local channels" (200 miles away.) I'm having a guy come out to reconnect our antenna system, which will not only give us the networks, plus all the -1s, -2s, etc. and also restore those HD signals to all the rooms in the house. FREE.
          Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ
          |
          Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
          2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
          2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
          2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
          2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
          And 12 others...
          In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

I cut the phone cord back in '06 or so, and today killed the cable TV. I kept the internet so we can stream. Gotta save money where you can. I have Xfinity, and if anyone has it and doesn't have their mobile service, you may be doing yourself a disservice. We are using their by the gig data which means we use a lot of free wifi or wifi at home. We generally do very well, and use less than the included (free) 1 gig, or rarely get charged for the second gig. For three phones, our bill is about $55/mo, which includes their "insurance" on each phone. They include unlimited calls and texts.
            Justin
            1984 2150 Ciera "C-ya"
            AQ225D w/ 280
            MMSI 338355691
            St. Joseph, Michigan

Comment

I'm still using two tin cans and a waxed string for phone service between myself and my neighbor.
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

We cut the cord as well, but in a different way.

We have just two weeks ago completed our businesses migration to cloud based services.

The first step was to get rid of our server, that was a year ago.

The last step was to get rid of our office phone system, IE our PBX.
                Our phones are now all VOIP back to a service goodness knows where.

No more obsolete equipment!

What we have done is cut the cord to this location.

I can run my business from anywhere. The office, the boat, a hotel room, anywhere!

KEVIN SANDERS
                4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
                https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Originally posted by 2850Bounty View Post
                  I'm still using two tin cans and a waxed string for phone service between myself and my neighbor.
                  Do you use an extra long string for long distance calls?
                  Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
                  2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
                  12 foot aluminum fishing boat

Comment

We cut the cable tv cord a long time ago around 10 years ago. Switched to antenna and HDHomerun network TV tuners and PVR software. I pick up 41 channels including all major US and Canadian networks. Anything else I stream or download from the internet. The landline I stopped about 8 years ago.
                    P/C Bob Hicks JN
                    Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
                    Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
                    Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
                    Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
                    Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

Working...
                    X