Close call towing Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close call towing Friday

About a mile away from the storage facility, a semi tractor driver started blowing his horn at me. Pulled up beside and let me know the brakes were smoking. Pulled over at the next chance, another mile away at a big restaurant parking lot and the hubs were extremely hot (Grease was boiling out of the seals) and it was clear the surge brakes had not released when the tow vehicle was pulling. I would have noticed this with my old towing vehicle, a Highlander, but my new truck will easily pull twice my rig’s weight and didn’t notice the difference except in hindsight. Bled the system of fluid, the brakes freed up, and took it back to the dealer. Probably all new brake system, new bearings, and who knows what else. BUT, I was about to get on the very crowded ring road around Cincinnati so I got lucky. I wish I could find that trucker and thank him! Another item for the pre-trip checklist. Check brake operation.
    Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
    Alpha 1, Gen II
    2019 F-150 3.0l Powerstroke Crew Cab 4WD
    Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

King of retirement. Finally got that last promotion.

Haven’t heard from you for awhile, sorry it’s under bad news but not as bad as it could have been.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Mike, I’ve been busy doing other projects and the boat was held hostage by the stay at home orders here. I’ve been lurking though. In this situation I am not really too unhappy about it, other than the expense. The restaurant I pulled over to is one of my favorites, so we had a really great meal while waiting for the brakes to cool down. First time we’ve eaten out in over three months. Looks like we will be on the water July 10. And that trucker kept me from being stranded 100 miles or so from help. I doubt the bearings would have survived that distance. I hate losing wheels...
      Alpha 1, Gen II
      Albany, Ohio

Comment

A good meal always makes me happier.
        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Any idea what caused the problem? My last trailer had a lockout to keep the head from activating if you back up to park it. Sometimes if you park them by backing up the surge head is set on and if they sit that way for awhile they rust in place and don’t release. Then when you hook up again and pull you smoke them. Or possibly a bad bearing. Moral, always make sure surge head is released before unhooking.
          1990 2755 - sold
          2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

Originally posted by Rick_Kenyon View Post
            Any idea what caused the problem? My last trailer had a lockout to keep the head from activating if you back up to park it. Sometimes if you park them by backing up the surge head is set on and if they sit that way for awhile they rust in place and don’t release. Then when you hook up again and pull you smoke them. Or possibly a bad bearing. Moral, always make sure surge head is released before unhooking.
            Or get electric over hydraulic disc brakes. You'll never go back to surge!
            Jeff & Tara
            (And Ginger too)
            Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
            "GetAway"
            Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

• Rick_Kenyon
              Rick_Kenyon commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 on that. Surge are fine when they are working but it doesn’t take much to get them not working. A little rust can do it real quick.

I’m guessing, Rick, that the last movement, back in October when it was stored, may have left the brakes engaged and during the prolonged storage the surge master cylinder got stuck in that position. Not clear on why the dealer didn’t notice when taking it out and prepping it.

jeff, fortunately I have one of the regions best and biggest trailer dealers/shops just a few miles down the road. When I get it back, I will see if they will install electric over hydraulic. I’ve been meaning to get them to install LED lights anyway.
            Alpha 1, Gen II
            Albany, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdixon View Post
              I’m guessing, Rick, that the last movement, back in October when it was stored, may have left the brakes engaged and during the prolonged storage the surge master cylinder got stuck in that position. Not clear on why the dealer didn’t notice when taking it out and prepping it.
              Probably busy, in a hurry, didn’t move it very far and didn’t see a wheel hung up. Didn’t go far enough to really heat it up. Been there, done that. It is a PITA. Also if on grass or dirt when they moved it, the wheel would just skid along and not be very noticeable. Other issue too is if calipers are pressurized for a long time the cylinders pushing the pads can rust in place too making it even worse to free them up. Hope it’s not a big bill when they get done.
              1990 2755 - sold
              2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdixon View Post

jeff, fortunately I have one of the regions best and biggest trailer dealers/shops just a few miles down the road. When I get it back, I will see if they will install electric over hydraulic. I’ve been meaning to get them to install LED lights anyway.
                Let us know what happens. I'm gonna ballpark a guess at $800+/- parts and labor.
                Jeff & Tara
                (And Ginger too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                "GetAway"
                Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

• Nickdixon
                  Nickdixon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For electrical over hydraulic changeout?

When I ordered my trailer in 2008, I recall the option was about $600, but that may have included disc brakes too. Check with your shop, I believe mine was by Kodiak. I sold the trailer last March.
                Jeff & Tara
                (And Ginger too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                "GetAway"
                Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

Repairs $400. Pick up on Wednesday. Replace crimped brake line, new bearings and pack. New seals. Oddly the pads were Ok.
                  Alpha 1, Gen II
                  Albany, Ohio

Comment

Did you get a price on E/O?
                    Jeff & Tara
                    (And Ginger too)
                    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                    "GetAway"
                    Cummins 4bta 250s

Comment

Jeff,

Not yet. Different shop. I’d love to have it though. It’s pretty hilly around here and the surge brakes are a PITA when backing.
                      Alpha 1, Gen II
                      Albany, Ohio

Comment

An update. Went and picked the boat up from the dealer today. Turns out the swing away tongue crimped the brake line and held pressure on the brakes even after unfolding. Something for all with surge brakes and the swing away tongue to remember and check out. Dealer paid for brake work. I paid for new bearings. Fair enough; I should have noticed the brakes were engaged before the bearings overheated. Another thing. Always carry a fire extinguisher in the tow vehicle. I am lucky I did not have a fire.
                        Alpha 1, Gen II
                        Albany, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                        X