Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tesla Powerwall vs. Costco house bank

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tesla Powerwall vs. Costco house bank

    https://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/6429

    Seems a little pricey to me. And from reviews I’ve read, its well over 10k after install.
    Would 10 deep cycles provide similar amount of backup power?
    Seems like backup power is becoming a necessity not due to hurricanes or anything, just an archaic electric grid in Los Angeles.
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

    #2
    Tesla and a couple of others are selling similar systems in Puerto Rico at pretty outrageous prices.

    My buddy in PR did exactly what you're suggesting. He bought a bunch of golf cart batteries from Costco, welded up a rack in a corner of the garage to hold them, and wired them to an inverter. He set up the transfer switch to control the refrigerator circuit, a general purpose outlet, and one light circuit. He also added a watering system to the batteries.

    Right now the batteries charge from utility power. His next step will be to install solar panels on top of the garage. They will be in quick disconnect mounts, so they can be removed before a hurricane, and easily reinstalled later.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

    Comment


      #3
      Wow... how long would those batteries last running a couple fans, fridge and freezer?

      I've recently fell into a diesel powered welder/generator. If I can get it fixed up that will be my backup plan once I get the hookup and main power disconnect for the house.

      I have to run a 220v water well, septic, and few household appliances...will know the power rating once I get it home. It's on a trailer so can store it inside.....if all works out I will be getting a small bulk diesel storage tank and qualify for red diesel fuel....gotta keep water for the girls and their boyfriend
      2008 H210SS Four Winns
      Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
      Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
      Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by TX H210 SS View Post
        Wow... how long would those batteries last running a couple fans, fridge and freezer?

        I've recently fell into a diesel powered welder/generator. If I can get it fixed up that will be my backup plan once I get the hookup and main power disconnect for the house.

        I have to run a 220v water well, septic, and few household appliances...will know the power rating once I get it home. It's on a trailer so can store it inside.....if all works out I will be getting a small bulk diesel storage tank and qualify for red diesel fuel....gotta keep water for the girls and their boyfriend
        My buddy wanted quiet, instant power with no worries. The battery bank is sized to run the refrigerator for about 24 hours, solar panels will extend that a bit. If it's more than that he'll fire up the generator.

        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
        Anacortes, WA

        Comment


        • TX H210 SS
          TX H210 SS commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotya... if I can get this machine going im sure it will sound like a Southern Pacific train...I've been fortunate and only lost power for over a day in 2008 Hurricane....never flickered in Harvey or many storms since.

        #5
        Well, this has drifted to backup power, one of my favorite topics, and one I make a living at.

        I am most comfortable in a home or business situation having a whole facility diesel powered backup generator. I also like to see enough fuel onsite to cover the worst case contingency for your area.

        At my home when the power goes out Two diesel generators start. If the preferred one takes the load the second one shuts down. If the preferred one fails the second one is already running and takes the load.

        All this happens in less than 3.5 seconds from the time the lights go off to the time they are all back on.

        KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        where are we right now​​​​​​???​

        https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

        Comment


          #6
          My condo in PR does not allow generators in the balconies, so I'm going to design and install a battery backup system like my buddy did in his house. Since space is limited I am probably going to use LiFeO2 batteries. The intent will be to power the refrigerator for a day or so.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

          Comment


            #7
            Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
            My condo in PR does not allow generators in the balconies, so I'm going to design and install a battery backup system like my buddy did in his house. Since space is limited I am probably going to use LiFeO2 batteries. The intent will be to power the refrigerator for a day or so.
            No need to design something. There are commercially available solutions.

            http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...pack-1500.aspx

            http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...rhub-1800.aspx

            KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
            where are we right now​​​​​​???​

            https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

            Comment


              #8
              Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
              My condo in PR does not allow generators in the balconies, so I'm going to design and install a battery backup system like my buddy did in his house. Since space is limited I am probably going to use LiFeO2 batteries. The intent will be to power the refrigerator for a day or so.
              Your friends place with the panels and battery bank is probably the best route. If he can live without AC that should be plenty. And in a hurricane situation where you might lose power for weeks...or months like in PR, getting fuel for a generator just might not be possible.
              Your condo on the other hand, I doubt you could do solar panels since you probably cant go up on the roof. I imagine in a hurricane situation you could get away with running a generator for a few hours to charge the batteries...those Hondas are pretty quiet. Do you plan on living there full time...hurricane season too?
              When I move full time to Florida I plan on using a generator to power fridge and lights. I might do a house battery bank so I can run the fridge at night without generator. I can live without AC. Im also on the same grid as the hospital nearby so my neighbors have said they have never lost power. Then again, I will probably buy an RV and be cruising up north somewhere when FL is too hot, so I wont be there for hurricanes anyway.
              Esteban
              Huntington Beach, California
              2018 Element 16
              Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
              Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

              Comment


                #9
                Originally posted by green650 View Post

                Your friends place with the panels and battery bank is probably the best route. If he can live without AC that should be plenty. And in a hurricane situation where you might lose power for weeks...or months like in PR, getting fuel for a generator just might not be possible.
                Your condo on the other hand, I doubt you could do solar panels since you probably cant go up on the roof. I imagine in a hurricane situation you could get away with running a generator for a few hours to charge the batteries...those Hondas are pretty quiet. Do you plan on living there full time...hurricane season too?
                When I move full time to Florida I plan on using a generator to power fridge and lights. I might do a house battery bank so I can run the fridge at night without generator. I can live without AC. Im also on the same grid as the hospital nearby so my neighbors have said they have never lost power. Then again, I will probably buy an RV and be cruising up north somewhere when FL is too hot, so I wont be there for hurricanes anyway.
                After Maria my buddy and his wife ran generators constantly for three months: a small one for the refrig all day long, and a large one for lights and their bedroom AC at night. Getting fuel was an issue. He siphoned it out of one of their cars until some gas stations got generators and were able to pump fuel. Then the problems were long lines and rationing. The issue now is the fragile electrical grid. Power outages are still common, and they last from an hour to a day. This is why he built the battery backup system.

                We probably won't be in PR during hurricane season. Our plan is to spend November through March or so there.
                1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                Anacortes, WA

                Comment


                  #10
                  Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

                  After Maria my buddy and his wife ran generators constantly for three months: a small one for the refrig all day long, and a large one for lights and their bedroom AC at night. Getting fuel was an issue. He siphoned it out of one of their cars until some gas stations got generators and were able to pump fuel. Then the problems were long lines and rationing. The issue now is the fragile electrical grid. Power outages are still common, and they last from an hour to a day. This is why he built the battery backup system.

                  We probably won't be in PR during hurricane season. Our plan is to spend November through March or so there.
                  I would not want to be a condo dweller in a local where you get long term power outages. A few hours at a time is livable but beyond that it would get problematic quickly.

                  The way this whole issue of backup power is handled by businesses is that they have backup generation onsite with fuel onsite as well.
                  It’s not just critical infrastructure, it’s any business that needs constant power, which are way more than you might imagine.

                  Homes are also more and more having full home backup systems installed. It’s tougher because there is no cost justification like a business, but many homeownwers are paying big dollars for top notch equipment because they recognize the risks and do not want to end up at the red cross shelter.

                  KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                  where are we right now​​​​​​???​

                  https://share.findmespot.com/shared/...j23OquWOj2N3Xe

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Originally posted by ksanders View Post

                    No need to design something. There are commercially available solutions.

                    http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...pack-1500.aspx

                    http://www.xantrex.com/power-product...rhub-1800.aspx
                    I'm aware of these and others, but they cost a lot and do not fit where I want to install the system. I'd rather design my own.
                    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                    Anacortes, WA

                    Comment


                      #12
                      Originally posted by ksanders View Post

                      I would not want to be a condo dweller in a local where you get long term power outages. A few hours at a time is livable but beyond that it would get problematic quickly.

                      The way this whole issue of backup power is handled by businesses is that they have backup generation onsite with fuel onsite as well.
                      It’s not just critical infrastructure, it’s any business that needs constant power, which are way more than you might imagine.

                      Homes are also more and more having full home backup systems installed. It’s tougher because there is no cost justification like a business, but many homeownwers are paying big dollars for top notch equipment because they recognize the risks and do not want to end up at the red cross shelter.
                      Our condo building has a large diesel generator to power all the common areas: lights, elevators, water pumps, security cameras, etc, but it does not power the units themselves. The condo also has a large cistern that can provide potable water for a few days. This is a common configuration in condos in PR. Some new and very expensive condo buildings have generators that power the individual units as well as the common areas, but that's not common.

                      In my experience, the longest power outage was around 24 hr. Most outages are for much shorter periods, and I can easily deal with that.
                      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X