Illegal Marinas - Everett, WA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illegal Marinas - Everett, WA

Here's an interesting article from the Everett Herald: https://www.heraldnet.com/news/out-o...-on-snohomish/

I've been by there on my dinghy a number of times. I imagine that most of the liveaboards here do not take their boat to a pumpout station; my guess is that it goes right into the river.

Here's a map with the location:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Slough.png
Views:	153
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	557668
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Really not much different than the homeless camps.
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

It's a Nationwide problem. Same problem in Florida or actually anywhere boats can be moored. I believe most of these "squatters"as I call them are into drugs,some it's a cheap place to stay,others hiding their yacht. Canada even has the same issue,some bays it's very difficult to anchor in,however they started a clean up of some bays it seemed to work for awhile maybe some of our Canadian friends will tell us how the did it.?? Ok stepping down off my soap box...and soon my blood pressure will be back to normal.
      Brad & Sharon
      Lady Jake
      1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
      LaConner,Wa. (summer)
      2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
      kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Originally posted by brad4550 View Post
        I Canada even has the same issue,some bays it's very difficult to anchor in,however they started a clean up of some bays it seemed to work for awhile maybe some of our Canadian friends will tell us how the did it.??.
        If Canada has solved this situation in the PNW its news to me. False Creek (Vancouver) has implemented a permit anchoring system but depending who you ask that hasn't been a 100% success. It does give Vancity cops an excuse to ride around on the cop boat which I suspect is a plum posting. Burgoyne Bay is kind of a hippy hangout, grow op with its own special flavour. Gerrans Bay at Pender Harbour has some derelicts that have been there so long they have trees growing out of their decks. Cowichan Bay routinely has semi-abandoned derelict vessels wash up on the park beach. Brentwood Bay/Todd Inlet is a disgusting mess. Between lack of enforcement and the vagaries of maritime law I don't think any of these situations are likely to get resolved quickly. There was a guy on my dock at Cow Bay who would throw a fit at the entire premise of this post. He wouldn't let me refer to the scuzziest vessel in the bay as "derelict" even when it was visibly settling beneath the surface of the bay. As long as guys like him are willing to hire lawyers to defend their right to anchor anything anywhere I don't see the situation changing.
        R.J.(Bob) Evans
        Buchanan, SK
        Cierra 2755
        Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
        Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

I never said they solved it, Nanaimo, Tesehum Harbor as an example where extremely jammed with derelict boats several years ago some Government authority cleared them out set buoys. This lasted awhile however the derelicts are back,seems there was no follow through....Two years ago at Silva bay was so crowded with derelict's it was hard to maneuver around.
          Brad & Sharon
          Lady Jake
          1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
          LaConner,Wa. (summer)
          2003 Scout CC 24' W/225 Yamaha
          kailua Kona,Hi (Winter)

Comment

Working...
          X