Boat home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat home

current status. Standing seam metal roof installed. Sheathed and wrapped. 24’ wide, 30’ deep, 12’ floor to ceiling. Stand up attic with door access through outdoor stairs on the back. Attic usable of 300 sf. Next step is doors and windows to dry in for ceiling, plumbing for half bath, electrical, propane heating work.

glad I listened to my wife and got the standing seam roof. Installer said he wished he had used it on his house since he’s getting leaks at the fastener holes. Opined the roof would outlive my kids.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F18E6A3A-CCC3-41AD-A285-63A2551A9633.jpeg
Views:	433
Size:	911.4 KB
ID:	483271
    Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
    Alpha 1, Gen II
    2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
    Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

King of retirement. Finally got that last promotion.

Update. Can’t really see it in the previous pic, but there’s a pretty steep drop-off behind the new garage and there is a large walkout basement, patio, fire pit, septic, etc. about 20 feet down. So I need room on the side to pull my suv or a truck or a trailer from one level to another. We almost had a disaster because a rural water system main runs very, very close to that side. The rural good old boy network saved a major catastrophe for me and the county when a friend of the brother of a friend scratched his head at a chance encounter at the lumber supplier and said “isn’t there a water main there” and it turns out there was and the water system guy was another friend of the contractor so he came out and dug test holes to find out exactly where it was. I have the clearance I need but just barely. And disaster averted.
    Alpha 1, Gen II
    Albany, Ohio

Comment

Nick it looks like you are headed into retirement with enough funds to enjoy your retirement life, good for you.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Only depending on the economy, but everyone is affected by that, Mike. I’m good. My needs after this build are pretty minimal. Arrived in the world with nothing just like everyone else. Very little is necessary to be pretty comfortable. Learned that in a severe setback in 2001. Learned what’s important and it wasn’t all the stuff I had before then. Give me time over things every time.
        Alpha 1, Gen II
        Albany, Ohio

Comment

I understand how we can survive with minimal things after getting divorced a few years back. But in retirement the idea is to enjoy the remaining time since we can’t get that back.

Mike

Comment

Name:	02503949-7C2D-4658-9874-79260AFBE5A6.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	489078 My kids have dubbed this Garage Mahal as the bills mount up!

Alpha 1, Gen II
            Albany, Ohio

Comment

Name:	5C882DA1-67D2-4866-8BE4-A8E7C7C7C735.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	490242 Interior as of now. Just some punch list items left. Could do most myself in a day if necessary.

Name:	3C0C063B-A80C-4386-87AC-E22B81ADB80A.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	490241

Alpha 1, Gen II
              Albany, Ohio

Comment

Interesting construction, why the metal ceiling and plywood walls?

Mike

Comment

• Nickdixon
                  Nickdixon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  White metal ceiling for better lighting. 5/8” plywood walls for ease of mounting shelves, hooks, etc., but also based on experience and with a metal roof did not want a faraday cage for gps, cell reception, etc. basically, a compromise. Builder wanted to do all metal. I think he was right about the ceiling and lighting. His crew agreed with me about the walls. I’ve had thick plywood walled garages before and liked the flexibility and ease of mounting stuff. Ceiling, especially at 12’ is likely not something I would regularly puncture, but if need to mount something, I know where the rafters are.

• Nauti_Mike
                  Nauti_Mike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds like you thought it out. Will you paint the plywood to help brighten the place?

Based on the lighting tested tonight, I probably will not paint the walls:

Name:	56C4DA41-5C78-4EA3-AD50-3061C1E69396.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	490477
                Alpha 1, Gen II
                Albany, Ohio

Comment

Hey Nick what type of garage opener is that?

Mike

Comment

• Nickdixon
                    Nickdixon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mike, it’s Liftmaster brand. It turns the torsion rod directly and the door follows as opposed to the center lift type that pulls the door up through a chain mechanism. We have just a few overhead door companies in this area and they all seem to have switched to this arrangement. It takes up a lot less space and at least for now it’s much smoother and quieter.

• Nauti_Mike
                    Nauti_Mike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes it's a very clean look, I like it!

Before the interior went on I had 12” of insulation put above the ceiling and 6” between the walls. The garage door has some gaps because the weather seal will go on after the finish siding is done. So, we’ve had mid 40’s F temps in the daytime the last couple of days and well below freezing at night. This morning, early, with the outside temp just creeping up to 30, the garage interior temp, measured right next to the garage door, was 46. Obviously, the cold soaks we get in January and February can’t be dealt with passively, but I’m optimistic about my 65000 btu forced air propane heater (to be added) doing the job pretty easily with not too much fuel consumption.
                  Alpha 1, Gen II
                  Albany, Ohio

Comment

Looks like the new garage will be finished in about ten days, so it looks like late April to get the boat ready for the season. Siding and metal on shed roof next week, as well as 75,000 btu vented propane heater mounted near the ceiling. Outside stairs on the back to the second level after that and installation of toilet and washbasin. Pretty much acting as general contractor on this building. It’s an eye opening but interesting experience. I’ll post pics as changes are apparent.
                    Alpha 1, Gen II
                    Albany, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Nickdixon View Post
                      ... as well as 75,000 btu vented propane heater mounted near the ceiling.....
                      You're going to love having a heater.

A few years ago I had a Reznor natural gas heater installed in my garage. I normally keep it set at 55F. Whenever I'm going to work in the garage I set the thermostat to 63-65 degrees and it's warm within a few minutes. I now wish I had installed it much sooner.

Name:	Garage Heater.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	492123

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA

Comment

• Nickdixon
                        Nickdixon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Very similar, except Modine brand and propane. No gas service here. Know how much gas you use monthly?

Your doing a amazing job, well thought out!

Comment

• Nickdixon
                        Nickdixon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks! Rediscovering why I liked project based work in factories oh so many decades ago. This one’s expensive because those skills are rusty, but it IS being done with high quality materials and workmanship. I’m also lucky that there is a small tight-knit group of specialized contractors that live really close by and respect quality work. Concrete contractor/excavator is my next door neighbor, framer/roofer/siding guy lives 1/4 mile away, etc. One of this group I worked with when I ran an HOA and he put me in touch with the others. All of them do much bigger commercial jobs and I’m able to keep their crews busy in short lapses between those jobs. That’s why it’s been done outside our normal construction season. In season, I would have to get the second tier crews.

"Very similar, except Modine brand and propane. No gas service here. Know how much gas you use monthly?"

I don't really know because I upgraded the house forced air furnace from a 20 year old 80% efficiency unit to a 95% efficiency, variable-speed unit at the same time. Our total gas bill stayed about the same; so the new furnace may be making up for the garage heater.
                      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA

Comment

• Nickdixon
                        Nickdixon commented
                        Editing a comment
                        For now, I’m going with a 120 gallon (true capacity filled is 100 gallon) propane tank. I’m hoping at the right thermostat setting, it will last through the January/February cold snaps we get. I’m just north of the Kentucky/Ohio/WestVirginia confluence so maybe. I would definitely need something bigger in Northern Ohio. The temp difference between my location in Southern Ohio and, say, Cleveland is often 15 degrees F in the winter. I’ll find out.
                    Working...
                    X