Bought A New Watch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought A New Watch

Last Thursday as I was walking the local mall I passed by Motif Jewelry. I decided to look at the Citizen watches. This model caught my eye. The fact that only 5000 will be sold worldwide caught my attention.

I wasn't sure that I wanted to spend that much on a new watch plus my current one still works like a charm. I left the store but on my way back past I went back inside. I took another look at the watch and decided I wanted it. I put down a deposit and I put the watch in lay-away so it's not on my wrist yet. I do plan to wear it. Each watch is individually numbered. I wonder if that will make it appreciate in value over time.

With 80000000+ people in the world and only 5000 of us will own this watch. To break it down 0.00625% of us will own this watch. Kind of puts one in an elite category. The old watch is stainless steel and the new one is titanium. It's so light it feels like there is nothing there. Wasn't planning to get a new watch but I'm glad I did.
    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
    www.wrycc.com

I’m a watch collector. That is a Nice looking watch!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Originally posted by RGrew176 View Post
      ... The old watch is stainless steel and the new one is titanium. It's so light it feels like there is nothing there. Wasn't planning to get a new watch but I'm glad I did.
      Many years ago my wife gave me a Swiss Army Titanium watch. I love how light it is:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	24080m.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	481170

I am not a watch collector but I still kick myself for not jumping on a deal many years ago. When I was a corporate pilot in the 80s I was in Lugano Switzerland for a few days. The USD was very strong at the time and a local Rolex dealer had new stainless GMT Masters for a bit over $500 USD. Being a pilot, I valued the ability to to have GMT at a glance, without having to calculate it. At the time my wife and I were starting our careers and were a bit tight on money. Even so, she encouraged me to buy it when I called her later that evening, but the frugal in me decided not to. Those watches go for $9k today.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Bet you guys dont have one of these...
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Bayline...UAAOSwzgBY0k0O

Name:	34AE1C2F-3DD2-42EB-8B54-2CD0EE587EB2.png
Views:	125
Size:	4.09 MB
ID:	491915
        Esteban
        Panama City, Panama
        Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952
        Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida

Comment

Now thats funny!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA

Comment

Rick I have about 15 watches and I am a sucker for a nice watch. My next one will be a Seiko Astron GPS Solar. The watch I wear every day is a Seiko they make very nice accurate watches.

That is a very nice looking watch Rick.
            Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
            The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

Originally posted by Iproff View Post
              Rick I have about 15 watches and I am a sucker for a nice watch. My next one will be a Seiko Astron GPS Solar. The watch I wear every day is a Seiko they make very nice accurate watches.

That is a very nice looking watch Rick.
              Thanks. I am not a multiple watch person as I have only one other watch but this one will be my main one to wear. Still like the idea of being only 1 of 5000.
              Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
              West River Yacht & Cruising Club
              www.wrycc.com

Comment

I am also a watch lover. I have collected many watches from my childhood. I have different brands of hand watches and pocket watches. It's my passion to collect old watches.

Comment

Nice looking watch.

The last watch I bought, wore and used look like this. I think this was in the 80's or 90's.

Name:	watch.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	503416

But thanks Rick. I now feel much better about spending a bunch of money on a tool yesterday.
                  It's all a dream
                  '03 245 5.7/BIII & '06 175

Comment

Originally posted by Don9 View Post
                    Nice looking watch.

The last watch I bought, wore and used look like this. I think this was in the 80's or 90's.

Name:	watch.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	503416

But thanks Rick. I now feel much better about spending a bunch of money on a tool yesterday.
                    LOL!

An engineer that worked for me in the late 80s wore one of these. He was totally anal retentive. Whenever my team went out to lunch as a group he would use the watch to figure out how much each one of us owed, including tip, to the penny. Finally we got tired of this BS and started having him figure out his own tab. We would take the difference plus tip, divide it by the rest of those these and each one would pay that.
                    Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post

LOL!

An engineer that worked for me in the late 80s wore one of these. He was totally anal retentive. Whenever my team went out to lunch as a group he would use the watch to figure out how much each one of us owed, including tip, to the penny. Finally we got tired of this BS and started having him figure out his own tab. We would take the difference plus tip, divide it by the rest of those these and each one would pay that.
                      LOL ... I guess the calculator watch replaced the pocket protector and the calculator holstered to the belt.

But what would life be like without the nerds. When people first started buying the home computers they we mostly nerds like me. I remember that era well with rooms full of nerds drooling over computer parts at the computer trade shows. That was back when most people never heard of the internet and it could only be access through a dial-up and BBS..
                      It's all a dream
                      '03 245 5.7/BIII & '06 175

Comment

Originally posted by Don9 View Post

LOL ... I guess the calculator watch replaced the pocket protector and the calculator holstered to the belt.

But what would life be like without the nerds. When people first started buying the home computers they we mostly nerds like me. I remember that era well with rooms full of nerds drooling over computer parts at the computer trade shows. That was back when most people never heard of the internet and it could only be access through a dial-up and BBS..
                        I was a Customer Engineer at Douglas Aircraft during that time period. One day a Swedish customer approached me. He was taking delivery of a new MD-80 and asked for a bunch of our standard document boxes to pack stuff that he and his crew had bought in the US. I found some moving boxes that were bigger than the document boxes, so I figured he'd be more than happy with them. When I brought them to his office he told me they would not work and insisted on document boxes. I asked him why, since the ones I brought were obviously better. He told me that they had bought a bunch of computer parts and components in the US and these were heavily taxed in Sweden. They were going to put the computer parts in document boxes, load those in the cargo compartment first, and load the many boxes with real documents, airplane manuals, etc. on top and in front of them. The hope was that the customs agent in Sweden would open one or two document boxes and assume they all contained documents. BTW, it worked

Back in that era we used to say, "When the weight of the paperwork is equal to the weight of the airplane, the airplane is ready for delivery." Since then the quantity of paperwork has increased tremendously, but now it is all delivered digitally.
                        Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
                        X