Property taxes by state

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property taxes by state

I ran across an interesting chart that shows the median property tax rate per state. No shocker that New Jersey and Illinois have the highest property taxes, but I was surprised that Texas was sixth highest and Hawaii was the lowest.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

Click image for larger version

Name:	012B8C12-44F5-4626-A3FC-DC8763702330.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	441.7 KB
ID:	476735
    Esteban
    Vancouver, BC
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Click image for larger version

Name:	E6AEE3F8-8A0C-4F62-87FC-61B66DE39A43.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	476737
    Esteban
    Vancouver, BC

Comment

Ohio is probably consistent with this in many areas. I moved because mine were way higher then shown. Now they are way lower. But in Ohio, every political subdivision can levy income taxes and sales taxes. So, not even including federal taxes and state taxes, or property taxes, I was paying 2% city income tax, 2% sales tax, and 2% school district tax, as well as twice the property tax (for a lower valued home) when I lived in a small city. In my newish rural locale, I pay about $12,000 a year less. Now that I’m retired, my income is not subject to the taxes in the city where I worked, so that’s another $5000 or so less. State by state comparisons are complicated by these issues.
      Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
      Alpha 1, Gen II
      2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
      Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Less than 150 days until retirement.

Beware the men of measured merriment
      (Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

Comment

In New York in the suburban regions (ie Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk) your school taxes are in addition to the town tax. As a practical matter it basically doubles the figure you see in the table. So a house that would sell for about $550-600K here will have total taxes of approx. $11,000. Way too much!
        88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
        98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

There is a city in suburban Phoenix, I think Sun City, where property taxes are very low. I believe the city is 55 and over and there are no schools so you don’t have the endless bonds to build new schools every few years.
          Esteban
          Vancouver, BC

Comment

Interesting.... here in Texas we have no state income tax and the school portion of property taxes are the biggest portion. Not sure how it is elsewhere with property taxes.

Between property taxes, state sales tax, federal income tax, fuel taxes, boat registration tax, trailer taxes, hunting and fishing fees and vehicle registration tax.....im about wore out.

Have two friends who are looking to sell and move due to property taxes raising. .. what started out as reasonable has risen to over 10k...now they looking to take some of my property to widen road to accommodate new school I have to pay for.

2008 H210SS Four Winns
            Volvo Penta 5.7 GISX
            Prior: 1997 2050SS Bayliner
            Brad / Texas Gulf Coast

Comment

Here in middle Tennessee we have no state or local income tax. Property tax is not too bad but more importantly the home prices are much lower than where I came from in SoCal. A small 1,500sf 50 year old starter home on a 50x150 lot in SoCal is well above 500K ... and that's in the bad areas and you pay $$$ in property tax for it plus state and local tax.

In Tennessee a big 5K+ sf newer home on a multi-acre lot in the small town rural areas can be had for 300K. Tennessee also does not have a luxury tax on boats and the vehicle/boat registration is a low flat rate and not based on value.
              It's all a dream
              '03 245 5.7/BIII & '06 175

Comment

I am in Montana, the plus for us is NO sales tax, license for Boat are Permanent -- so one time and your done, if you damage you tag is 5.00 to replace, every 2 years we need to replace an excise tax tag, up to now Free. Same deal with cars and P/U after 11 years old you can get permanent tags, my tow truck.
                Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
                96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by fritzman View Post
                  I am in Montana, the plus for us is NO sales tax, license for Boat are Permanent -- so one time and your done, if you damage you tag is 5.00 to replace, every 2 years we need to replace an excise tax tag, up to now Free. Same deal with cars and P/U after 11 years old you can get permanent tags, my tow truck.

in crazy calif.... the boat trailers get a "permanent" license ... BUT...they send ya a fee every 5 years...only in CA does "permanent" mean 5 years
                  1997 Bayliner Trophy 2352
                  5.7 Mercruiser/Alpha I Gen II /Full Closed Cooling
                  San Diego, CA

HookEmDanO out ......

the more people I meet the more I love my dogs !

Comment

Here in Richmond VA the property tax varies by county. In my county it's 3.57 per 100 of assessed value. The tax this year is 1900. We also have a personal property tax computed by county for cars, boats, trailers, planes etc. My 2017 truck is assessed at 27K, tax rate is 3.57/100, 2019 tax amount is 609, thanks to the state giving us tax relief of 357.00. My boat in a different county is 2.00/100 and I'm waiting for that bill to see how they asses it.

I really feel like I'm back in New York, where the taxpayer is a bottomless pit of money to feed the government.
                    Bob
                    "Easy Living"
                    2007 Discovery 246, 5.0L MPI, CC, B3
                    Boating on the Rappahannock River, Virginia

Comment

Here in wonderful Kommiefornia I’m forced to pay property tax on a boat slip and aircraft hangar I RENT!
                      Jim Gandee
                      1989 3888
                      Hino 175's
                      Fire Escape
                      Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

• Iproff
                        Iproff commented
                        Editing a comment
                        In Florida if you lease the land you pay taxes each year for the house that's on the property. So not only does the landowner pay taxes so does the home owner.

• Jim_Gandee
                        Jim_Gandee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The trade off is there is no State income tax in Fla!

Puerto Rico - Varies by county, but its approximately 0.8% in the county we are looking to buy a condo in. There are some exemptions for a primary residence and veterans, but both require residency of 183 days or more per year.
                      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
                        Puerto Rico - Varies by county, but its approximately 0.8% in the county we are looking to buy a condo in. There are some exemptions for a primary residence and veterans, but both require residency of 183 days or more per year.
                        There are some great deals in PR right now, I’ve been eyeing some stuff down there on Zillow. I’d be worried about their taxes going up since many are fleeing to Florida.
                        Esteban
                        Vancouver, BC

Comment

There are great deals inland and in coastal, non-metro areas . We have a condo in escrow on the beach in the San Juan metro area (Isla Verde). The prices there went down but not nearly as much as in other locales.

We made our offer subject to appraisal. If the appraised amount comes in lower we can renegotiate or walk. I'm hoping that the owner is willing to renegotiate if that's the case .
                          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
                            There are great deals inland and in coastal, non-metro areas . We have a condo in escrow on the beach in the San Juan metro area (Isla Verde). The prices there went down but not nearly as much as in other locales.

We made our offer subject to appraisal. If the appraised amount comes in lower we can renegotiate or walk. I'm hoping that the owner is willing to renegotiate if that's the case .
                            I bought a property last year in a really hot area that was a “sellers market”. After I submitted an offer the selling realtor pulled the “we received multiple offers so submit your best and highest offer by Friday”. I told my realtor I’m not interested in a bidding war, so offer only $1,000 more. Mine was the highest offer, shocker(I’m being sarcastic). But then it was appraised for 10k less than my offer. The sellers agreed to take 10k less since it was already more than a month since the deal and the buying season was over there. (Vacation area)

PR has a lot of stuff going on right now, so I think the ball is in your court if it appraises low.

Esteban
                            Vancouver, BC

Comment

Working...
                            X