Shop heater

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shop heater

With a couple of winter projects planned this year I finally got around to heating my shop/basement. Picked up a couple NewAir G56-BL 5600 Watt garage heaters and very pleased with the performance. I like the design with no open "glowing" coils and a good fan for strong air flow to deliver heat quickly. With the scratch and dent sale I got the price down from $165 to $80 each and then first time buyers get an additional 20% off. Then no tax being I'm not in California and free shipping. The scratch and dent part was almost non detectable. I also picked up a couple heavy duty ceiling swivel projector mounts to mount them.

With two of these I will be able to work comfortably this winter when my shop can easily get in the 30's/40's in winter.
    It's all a dream
    '03 245 5.7/BIII & '06 175

I looked at electric heaters, their capacity and power draw, and decided to go with a gas heater instead. Three years ago I had a Reznor heater installed in the garage and haven't regretted it one bit. I now keep the garage at a constant 55F and turn the heat up whenever I'm going to work there.

IClick image for larger version

Name:	Garage Heater.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	476236
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

Comment

• 2850Bounty
      2850Bounty commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent choice!

• 2850Bounty
      2850Bounty commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent choice!

• 2850Bounty
      2850Bounty commented
      Editing a comment
      I have no idea as to why the system posted a duplicate!

Looks like a good option. I don't have the natural gas option where I live. My choices are electric, propane and wood. Electricity is pretty cheap out here and wood is free. I have a wood stove on my main floor for those freezing days/nights but it's not that practical for my needs although a few of my neighbors use wood in their pole barn shop.
    It's all a dream

Comment

That Reznor looks like mine which is also on its 3rd winter. I wanted to put in radiant heat but my plumber talked me out of it. He said the forced air was simpler and pointed out I was going to lose headroom with the radiant. I've had wood heat in previous shops and I take issue with the suggestion its "free". Its only free if your time is worthless and you don't charge the chainsaw and bush trips against heating costs. Throw in some extra wear and tear on the 4WD getting to the woodlot and that free heat can get pretty expensive.
      R.J.(Bob) Evans
      Buchanan, SK
      Cierra 2755
      Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
      Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Had my boat in the shop over the holidays, in that part I have floor heat, Pvc pipe in the concrete put in in 1985 with a circulation pump running heated water from a hot water heater 40 gal and a old air compressor tank as expansion tank, keeps it at 70 with outside temperature in the teens.
        Slightly modified 2859 6.5 Diesel Bravo III X drive
        96 Dodge 5.9 5 speed Gear vender OD.

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
          That Reznor looks like mine which is also on its 3rd winter. I wanted to put in radiant heat but my plumber talked me out of it. He said the forced air was simpler and pointed out I was going to lose headroom with the radiant. I've had wood heat in previous shops and I take issue with the suggestion its "free". Its only free if your time is worthless and you don't charge the chainsaw and bush trips against heating costs. Throw in some extra wear and tear on the 4WD getting to the woodlot and that free heat can get pretty expensive.
          I say free firewood because I live in a heavily wooded area "the woods" and it's just a matter of using the tractor to move the logs and then cut, split and stack. I'm retired so I have plenty of time and it's good exercise. Saves on heating costs too so in effect I do get paid for it.
          It's all a dream

Comment

Incidentally, If you live in the Puget Sound area and are interested in a Reznor hater, send me a PM. I work part time as the fleet manager for a large HVAC company.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

Working...
            X