Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally got back on the water and everything worked!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got back on the water and everything worked!

i haven't said a lot here about the low temp problem I had that kept my boat from reaching planing speed, mainly because I was so bummed about it. So I've spent the last year or so adding radios, displays, Vesselview, on-board dual charger, second battery with ACR and new MBSS, etc, etc. The last two years of boating have been a waste as the pea gravel I ingested has been dealt with. So today, my first splash of the season, had me plenty nervous. But the boat performed perfectly, as did the little minor add-ons. I'm glad to be back actually boating. I'm especially glad to have the engine readouts. So the difference between the dashboard gauges and the engine data are significant:

1. The speedo has never worked right, so now I at least have GPS speed available simultaneously with the other readouts.
    2. The tach readings are 160 rpms different.
    3. It appears I get about 6mpg rather than the 4 I had been estimating.
    4. Battery voltage is about 1.5 volts different.
    5. The temperature readings are about 20 degrees different.
    6. Hard to rade the oil pressure scale on the dash, but that seems to be the same.

Assuming the engine readouts are reliable, my takeaway is that the dash gauges that came with the boat are pretty useless.

Glad to be back as a boater, rather than as a watcher.
    Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
    Alpha 1, Gen II
    2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
    Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
    (Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

WB.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Good for you Nick! I'll host one in your honor Friday at 6 pm EDT!
      Jeff & Tara
      (And Ginger too)
      Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
      "Sea Ya"
      Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Good to hear can enjoy the rest of the season.

gauges, wiring and sensor location all affect accuracy. Mercruiser installed the temp sensor in the t-stat housing which can have grounding issues that result in a few ohms in the return path. I suspect this is why most gauges read 175 instead of 160. On time a added a ground wire directly clipped onto the sendors body and got a better reading. The t-stat gasket has brass eyelets to help provide a better ground.
        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Interesting update on this trip re Vesselview. Today I needed the engine total hours for my boat log I keep. So, I turned the switch to "on" and connected to the module. The hours were as expected...embarrassingly low. The interesting part is that I topped off the tank after the trip, mainly to get some fresh gas into the tank about 2 years of mostly disuse. It held 12.1 gallons. At this point I am not connected to the module. But today, the Vesselview module indicated I had 12.1 gallons of fuel. This does not seem possible, but neither does the coincidence. Thoughts? Insights? The Vesselview documentation is not very extensive.
          Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
          Alpha 1, Gen II
          2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
          Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
          (Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

Comment

Vesselview mobile requires you to 'tell' it how much fuel you add.

It does not work from the gauge in the boat.

It then estimates how much it has used since you updated the number and displays the resulting remainder..

Haven't tried setting it to a very low number and then running engine -- I'd guess the displayed number will go negative.

We recently installed the module in a VR5 4.5 200..

Vesselview defaulted to a volume way larger than the volume of the tank in the boat. We set the fuel amount to about 70% of what was recently added to tank and went for a run. The boat/module/app were happily counting down from the volume we entered.

The data must be stored in the boat.
            Another family member.was able to later connect to module and see the fuel amount resulting from what I had set, less what I used,

The module has to be 'connected' to see or adjust the value -- at least I've not found a way to access fuel info while off-line; doesn't seem to store a data copy in phone.
            Kinda makes sense if there are multiple operators, and/or if the phone isn't necessarily present during operation.

If you know a way to access values saved from the last time it was connected, I'm certainly interested.

Comment

• Nickdixon
              Nickdixon commented
              Editing a comment
              I think I must has misread the display ond gotten total fuel used. If so, the fuel consumption is pretty accurate. Must not have been much evaporation from last year. Regarding if or where the past data is stored, the app and the docs imply that it is stored in the cloud but I haven't been able to find it, if it is.
          Working...
          X