Korean food !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean food !

So a Korean restaurant open up next to Shoprite, you guessed correctly ... Da Chief and his squaw shop there.

2 of my four rug rats, wanted to try it, Da Chief went with them, and promised no jokes coming out of my mouth .

A bunch of customers were Korean, a good sign.

Really good food.

Just wanted to see if we can get back on track posting like we used too, trying to enjoy what's great in life and living, good food, a few recommendations, boats, camping, children and grandchildren.

Oh spicy as hell, next time some soup yea !
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Homemade Korean BBQ is the best! Most of my high school classmates were Asian so I got to experience it all when we had food festivals at school. Don't think those are allowed anymore. Not a fan of kimchi though, or the unique aroma.
    Esteban
    B-ham!
    Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

If you don't like the smell of kimchi, try asking for mul kimchi (pronounced mool). It's cabbage (nabak kimchi) and/oor radish (dongchimi) in a water mix. Only slightly spicy or not spicy, and doesn't stink, but has a similar bite as regular kimchi and is quite refreshing. It's a common side dish (banchan) that's common enough it's worth asking if they have it so you can try it, but not every restaurant will have it.

http://crazykoreancooking.com/recipe/nabak-kimchi
      https://www.koreanbapsang.com/2012/0...ish-water.html

Kimchi also comes in a variety of forms and ripeness, so if you've tried it once and didn't like it, it's still worth trying it again. Ask a Korean friend what kind it is, so you can cross it off your list.

Aside from BBQ, other dishes that I've noticed westerners like are:

Spicy
      • Yukgaejang - spicy broth with various vegetables and shredded beef. Despite the intimidating appearance ("what the heck is in that?"), the most exotic ingredient is just young ferns which haven't yet uncurled. Everything else is normal.
      • Soon dubu - tofu in a broth with your choice of ingredients
      • Daengjang gook / daengjang jjigae - soybean paste broth with a variety of ingredients. The paste by itself stinks, but the end product does not, and smells/tastes really good.. I put it in the spicy category because sliced chili peppers are usually added to the broth.
      • Bibimbap - a variety of ingredients mixed with rice and a spicy sauce. The dolsot variety is served in a scalding-hot clay pot. You can leave out the spicy sauce if you want (it's usually provided as a side for you to add as much or as little as you want).
      • Gamjatang - vegetables in a spicy broth of pork bones simmered until the meat is falling off.
      • Ssam - literally "wrap". You take a lettuce or sesame leaf, put some rice in it, some meat, a bit of garlic or other vegetables, and either chili sauce or daengjang sauce, wrap it up, and eat it.

Non-spicy
      • Pajeon - fried pancake made with flour, spring onions, and usually some sort of seafood. Cut and dip in soy sauce before eating. Frequently served as an appetizer.
      • Mandu - fried dumplings. Mix some soy sauce with the red chili power and dip them in it.
      • Mandu gook - boiled dumplings in a soup, often with sliced rice cake. The wang mandu variety uses a single dumpling as big as your fist.
      • Ddeok gook - as above but with only rice cake slices.
      • Sul-lang tang (both 'a' pronounced 'ah') - ox bone soup. Simple but tasty
      • Kalguksu - flat chunky noodles in a light vegetable soup. Personally I don't like it, but it's benign enough that westerners aren't afraid to try it.

Not in every restaurant
      • Jjajang myeon - noodles in a black bean and pork sauce. This is a staple food for college students in Korea (cheap but filling). But you need to go to a Korean-Chinese restaurant to get it. Regular Korean restaurants won't carry it.
      • Jjampong ('o' pronounced 'oh', 'p' pronounced as a sharp 'b') - noodles in a spicy (*very* spicy) seafood broth. As above, you have to go to a Korean-Chinese restaurant to get it.

For the adventurous
      • Soon-dae - pig intestine sausage with other organ meats.
      • San-nakji - live octopus at Korean sushi places. The tentacles are cut into bite-sized chunks, and still moving. You have to dip it in a chili sauce and eat it quickly, or the suckers will latch on to your mouth (or even worse in your throat).
      • Gae-jang - seasoned raw crab. Common side dish at upscale restaurants.
      • Yuk-hwae (yuk-hoe) - seasoned raw beef (steak tartare). This one is actually quite good and worth trying.
      • Hongeo - fermented skate. No, just no. Don't do it. Don't say I didn't warn you.
      • Boshintang - dog soup.
      1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Ah dog soup !

Promised ... no jokes, so i'll let it pass.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I'll just have the cheeseburger...
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "Sea Ya"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

You mean 100% beef cheeseburger ...

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
              I'll just have the cheeseburger...
              The irony is that cheese is curdled and fermented (rotten) milk. It took a lot of guts for that first person to try eating that smelly rotten food item, instead of throwing it away. I like to imagine alcohol and dares were involved. Heck, alcohol is fermented fruit/grain juice.
              1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

My Daughter In Law is half Korean and a fantastic cook. She knows I'm not a fan of Korean cuisine, but she makes a special effort to prepare Korean dishes that fit my taste....Her mother not so much! Ha!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Solandri View Post
                  The irony is that cheese is curdled and fermented (rotten) milk. It took a lot of guts for that first person to try eating that smelly rotten food item, instead of throwing it away. I like to imagine alcohol and dares were involved. Heck, alcohol is fermented fruit/grain juice.
                  Yeah, same as the first guy to drink milk...
                  Jeff & Tara
                  (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                  "Sea Ya"
                  Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I often wonder what the first guy to eat a crab must have been thinking. OK the white meat in the legs and claws no problem but inside is another story.I wonder how many he ate before he realised not to eat the lungs/filters as well.
                    Robbie 2
                    30ft 2001 Laguna 30
                    4.2L 250hp Mercruiser D Tronic
                    Bravo 3
                    Stavanger, Norway

Comment

Working...
                    X