Best handgun for the novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best handgun for the novice

The time has come for me (us) to have protection above our home security system. Vicky has given the approval to have a gun in the home. She has gone so far as to send me links on the storage cases that look like a night stand or wall shelf.

I have watched some on-line tutorials on weapon safety, proper cleaning, storage. I have even taken a few that included a test after the video. Good first start I think.

I am leaning towards a revolver. Based upon what I have discovered in my research they are easier to clean, have less misfires and will adequately stop someone, with the proper type of ammunition, if that situation was ever to become necessary.

With that said I know we have many members with weapons. What are your thoughts on this choice? I understand this is very, very subjective but I would like some opinions from people with experience. Brands to stay away from. What is necessary, not necessary in regards to accessories.

What I am not looking forward to is the process of shopping for a gun. That is why I am turning to members of BOC for advice so I do not walk into a store like an uneducated fool.

Please, lets not turn this into a debate over guns/gun control. That is for the another time and place on our forum. Thanks. Phil.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Well, you are going to have to shop a little. My wife can shoot. I sold the gun I bought for her. She hated shooting it. She likes shooting mine. If Mama isn't interested in learning to handle it........
    Some ranges have guns you can check out.
    Tally and Vicki
    "Wickus" Meridian 341
    MMSI 338014939

Comment

A revolver is definitely a good choice as a first gun. They are ultra-reliable. If you are looking for a home defense, rather than a carry firearm, I recommend a revolver chambered in 38 Special/357 Magnum with a 4" barrel. A Ruger GP100, or a Smith and Wesson K or L frame would be ideal.

Once you get a firearm, practice regularly. Make sure that your wife also practices and is comfortable with whatever you get.

Finally, do not rely solely on online classes. Both of you should take basic firearms safety classes at a range. Moreover, consider some of the more advanced classes. If the children are old enough, they should also take classes. If they are younger, look at this program: https://eddieeagle.nra.org/.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA
      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Stop by a range and for $17 you can shoot all day using their ammo. A revolver is a good simple choice. Semis these days are every bit as reliable and most folks aren't gonna be in a running gun fight. Home invasion is always a valid concern in my mind and I want to be able to convince someone they've made an outstanding bad decision in forcing their way into my home. I'm never more than a few paces from 20 rounds of "get the hell outta my house".
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
          A revolver is definitely a good choice as a first gun. They are ultra-reliable. If you are looking for a home defense, rather than a carry firearm, I recommend a revolver chambered in 38 Special/357 Magnum with a 4" barrel. A Ruger GP100, or a Smith and Wesson K or L frame would be ideal.

Once you get a firearm, practice regularly. Make sure that your wife also practices and is comfortable with whatever you get.

Finally, do not rely solely on online classes. Both of you should take basic firearms safety classes at a range. Moreover, consider some of the more advanced classes. If the children are old enough, they should also take classes. If they are younger, look at this program: https://eddieeagle.nra.org/.
          Plus one! If you're in the neighborhood, I can explain a lot, and take you guys out for some initiation. I bet Raul would too.
          Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ
          |
          Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
          2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
          2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
          2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
          2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
          And 12 others...
          In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

I carry a 642 which s a hammerless 5 shot 38 special by S&W... My bride also has one but hers has a laser on it since all she would need to do is get the laser on center mass and shoot if this happens at night or in a dark room...
            Doug ;}
            MMSI: 338068776
            "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Revolvers are fine but your firepower is limited. I prefer a semi auto 9mm with a double stack magazine. That usually gives you 12-16 rounds of capacity.

before you buy go to a range and try all options.
              1990 2755 - sold
              2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

Sounds like you (and your wife) have limited to no experience with guns. If your intended use of that gun is to store it in a safe, with the expectation that you will stop a physical threat (such as a break-in?), this type of use is not for the faint-of-heart and not to be undertaken without some serious training. Training which should be repeated over and over and over. Unintended dire consequences are likely without this training. Try to imagine your sitting at home, watching a movie, with the wife. BANG! The door is being booted. At what point do you think its prudent to run to your safe, unlock it (where's that effing key!!), load, (shouldn't we be phoning the police??), back to the door...what now?? This is all much more difficult than you may think. Careful careful please.
                Me? A Smith & Wesson 9mm or 40 cal Glock. They'll never fail, easy to learn and will take the abuse of neglect.
                Mike & Dixi
                2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
                Closed Cooling

Comment

My first handgun was a Taurus .357 revolver with a 6" barrel. It is to big for conceal carry so a few years ago I bought a S&W M&P Shield in 9mm. Each has its advantages. I am inclined to agree with you that a revolver for a first handgun is a good way to go. You can get revolvers with more capacity. A good friend of mine has a .357 revolver with 8 round capacity.
                  Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                  West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

For home defense and for someone that is not interested in becoming a gun enthusiast, a revolver is your best bet. They are very simple to learn and clean. A .357 is an excellent choice because you can shoot .38 special thru it for training and to learn the basics. The .38 special is the same diameter as the .357
                    , just a shorter cartridge so it holds less powder and thus kicks less. More pleasurable to shoot. Less intimidating for a newbie. The majority hold 6 rounds so your biggest decisions are going to be stainless or black, rubber grip or wood(or pearl), and then what fits your hand best. I personally like stainless. Don't have to worry about surface rust if you're in a marine environment. Lower maintenance. Rubber grips are comfy, I like the ones with finger grooves as they help to give you a consistent grip which is important for accuracy. Those can be changed anytime and are cheap. Something with a 6" barrel is going to be more accurate at distance than a tiny snub nose, and it is more of a visual deterrence too, think Dirty Harry. And you can't go wrong with Smith and Wesson or Ruger. And don't sweat to much on your decision, you can always sell and buy another one if you don't end up loving it. Guns hold their values well, many even appreciate.
                    Esteban
                    Huntington Beach, California
                    2018 Element 16
                    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

The Admiral was not raised with weapons as I was so when she made a decision to carry it was an interesting transition to observe. She started out with a S&W 38 special Airweight, found it a bit too light to shoot but easy to carry. After time she graduated to a 9mm Beretta 92SF (paramilitary), tough to pack but easy to shoot, then went back to the Airweight which she now packs all the time. The Beretta remains by her bedside.

I do recommend you read "In the gravest extreme" which is a book written by Massad F. Ayoob, an international Cop. It's short and to the point about homeowners having weapons in the house and what you can expect should you be in a firefight at home (blind and deaf after the first shot at night, drywall does not stop bullets, etc). It's was an eye opener for her and she learned a lot of good info from it.

David

Comment

Yes, very limited experience. I shot a 22 rifle while at camp years ago. I have never fired a handgun. My wife has, years ago. One must start somewhere. Do I see this becoming a "hobby", no, but you never do know. The motivation is protection in the home.
                        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                        1998 3055 Ciera
                        (yes, a 1998)
                        Previous boat: 1993 3055
                        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                        Sea Doo XP
                        Sea Doo GTI SE
                        Life is short. Boats are cool.
                        The family that plays together stays together.
                        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Phil,
                          I suggest you and you wife go to several gun ranges. They have a variety of guns available to use. Many ranges also sell the guns. There are so many types and style that no one gun is for everyone. My wife and I went through this a couple of years ago. We opted for a CZ75 B and a CZ75 compact. The compact is obviously for her. They are 9mm semi auto’s and operate exactly the same so we both could pick up either gun up out of a dead sleep and not be confused by type. They are both double action which many believe adds a level of safety due to the heavier trigger pull for the first round. In double action mode you must actually make a conscious decision to pull the trigger. The CZ’s are known for their accuracy, quality, reliability and light recoil. In any internet research you will always find them rated in the top ten 9mm auto’s, usually in the top three. YMMV. Good lucin your search!
                          Jim Gandee
                          1989 3888
                          Hino 175's
                          Fire Escape
                          [email protected]
                          Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

I suggest a revolver, a .357 as you can shoot .38 special in it for practice, and a light hollow point for home defense, a 4" barrel gives better point than a 2 1/2"
                            Never hold your gun hand out from your body, keep it close to your side just in front of your body.
                            I had a Korean in South Korea show me how easy it is to disarm a person if they hold their pistol out in front of them.
                            He slapped it aside then grabbed it and turned and held that cap pistol pointed on me.
                            I have spent a bit over 2 years on a marksmanship unit on 2 different tours, I can hit anything I point the pistol at, but it does me no good if I an not holding that pistol!
                            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                            Twin 350 GM power
                            Located in Seward, AK
                            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Your getting good advice....If looking for a HOME DEFENCE firearm..one thing to consider is that you will be shooting 15 yards(45 feet) or less. A revolver in .38 Special will work fine. Do your reasearch, visit various gun stores with ranges that have rentals, most will provide instruction. Look at only QUALITY firearms...Ruger,S&W,Colt, Taurus,Sig,Glock,Beretta, and Springfield Armory. You might run into a deal on a quality used firearm. Once you make your selection, both you and the wife...need to practice. Get the girls involved, there are some very nice .22 Autos out there. I own many handguns from .22 up to .45, revolvers and Auto's to include Magnums, My wife and Kids are proficient with all of them. Firearms are like potato chips....You just can't have just one! The three hand guns I'm going to post are my CC and House Guns....38Specials..Taurus M85's and S&W M15 Combat Masterpiece.

Comment

Working...
                              X