Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Turkey

Today is Smoked Turkey Day

Does anybody else here enjoy smoked food???

Into our Smokin Tex smoker went a nice looking 12 pound Organic Free Range Turkey
    Smeared with Organic Butter on the outside, and covered with a bit of Sea Salt and Organic pepper, this nice bird sill smoke using Applewood (non organic ) for 11 hours at 225 degrees.

Tonight we will have a nice all Organic dinner (exept that darn smoke)

Does anybody else smoke their own food?

Am I the only person here that is wacked out about Organic food? I know it’s a problem, and I know I pay something likd 3X for our groceries, and I know that it probably does little good besides making us feel better about it...
    My lovely Admrial got us started on the “trace to the source” and Organic food craze several years ago, and I guess it just stuck.

Anyway, please do tell about your food smoking, or your smoker. Or you can tell me I’m a nut case for spending more than I need to for groceries.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Heck yeah! I have a Traeger Timberline pellet smoker. It is AMAZING! Nothing has come out of that thing that wasn't absolutely delicious. I've smoked fish, brisket, ribs, chicken, turkey and it's all been great. If you haven't experienced a pellet smoker, you're missing out. It'll stay steady temps from 165 to 450 and can slow cook a brisket for over over 12 hours. Nom!

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I use my Traeger almost weekly. Not only is it good for traditional smoking, but it is also good for cooking great chicken, pork chops, etc. I'll be smoking a turkey on Thursday.
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA
      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

I use an Orion Smoker. We smoke just about everything in it.... 7mins per pound for turkey and it comes out falling off the bone...

Doug ;}
        MMSI: 338068776
        "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

• ksanders
          ksanders commented
          Editing a comment
          Thats a nifty looking smoker! Never seen anything like that before!

Olease do tell about it.

I tried smoking a turkey back in the early 70's. Really hard to light and keep lit...
        Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ
        |
        Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
        2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
        2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
        2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
        2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
        And 12 others...
        In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	orion0046_bbccdcf1-627a-45ff-b260-6205aadda086.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	744.5 KB
ID:	393887 Orion SMokers are all stainless steel. Inside you add the chips for smoking around a small pan of water. Then a grate goes in and in the turkey case, it sits upright on a tower. quick lite charcoal is on the outside so no fumes are present inside. Read about it here: https://www.theorioncooker.com/

Attached Files
          Doug ;}
          MMSI: 338068776
          "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

Now I am insanely hungry.

I also want to try deep fried turkey sometime. I have heard it is wonderful.
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Deep fried is awesome... but smoked is much better. Plus with fried turkey, your oil goes rancid after a few weeks so it is kindof spendy. I just bought 3 small toms and a 10# breast for the freezer. If you're gonna stock up... now is the time. I got those toms for 98¢ a pound and the breast for $1.88
              Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

We used to smoke salmon when I lived up in the 1000 Islands. There's nothing better than fresh smoked salmon, some good sharp white cheddar, and crackers.

I hope to dive headfirst into some culinary exploits when my house closes. First up is transitioning from gas to charcoal grills, and after that I hope to try some smoked meats and proper BBQ.

Once we get a firepit in, I am going to invest in some good woods and a grate and do some Korean BBQ over the pit, too. Y'all haven't lived until you have tried some bulgogi over a woodfire grill.
                Matt Train
                BOC Site Team
                Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Smoked pheasant is my favorite!
                  79 25' Catalina sail boat.
                  Saving up for a VR6
                  Lake Erie Sandusky area

Comment

I have a Rec Tec Pellet grill and as others have said.... there isn't anything that comes off that isn't DELISH!
                    Thursday I am smoking a Stuffed Turkey Roulad.
                    Ted G
                    The Great PNW

86 2850 Contessa SB
                    Designers Edition
                    Mercury 350 Mag
                    290 Volvo DP

Comment

I have been smoking my meats for more than 40 years, Recently I have been using a Masterbuilt Smoker. Electric with temperature probe and timer. No pellets just chips. Alder wood or hickory has always produced a fine taste. I like this type of smoker because it required very little attention .Today I will smoke my briskets and ribs. Tomorrow turkey. Happy gobble, gobble everyone!

uhttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TJ1OZRK/ref=asc_df_B00TJ1OZRK5275622/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395009&creativeASIN=B00TJ1OZRK&linkCod e=df0&hvadid=167125192708&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvran d=10095616071540562908&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvde v=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027733&hvtargid= pla-272670147776se
                      1992 4588 Twin 250 hp WO6-TI Hino
                      12.5 kw Northern Light OM843NW2
                      MMSI# 367650430
                      FCC Call sign WDH 7669

Comment

Originally posted by ksanders View Post
                        Does anybody else here enjoy smoked food???
                        I use my smoker at least once a week, and in the summer, even more. Wifey is okay with it, but coming from the prairies of Alberta, roasting over an open wood pit was the norm.

Into our Smokin Tex smoker went a nice looking 12 pound Organic Free Range Turkey
                        Smeared with Organic Butter on the outside, and covered with a bit of Sea Salt and Organic pepper, this nice bird sill smoke using Applewood (non organic ) for 11 hours at 225 degrees.
                        Growing up, we pretty much just used a fire pit. In my early 20's, I built a smokehouse, using a 10 gallon barrel with the stack poking through the bottom, and a vent on top. In my 50's, upon moving to the US, I bought my first propane smoker, ....and I hated it! Not only would I go through a serious amount of wood, I was never fond the possibility of carbon-monoxide infested meat and veggies. It lasted all of 4 months ...before I bought a Smokin'Tex electric smoker. In a word, WOW! I use a fraction of the wood, no monoxide, and the flavor is times better. While I still enjoy the open fire pit, it can't do a cold smoke. That's where the traditional smokehouse has it all over anything else.

However, when I want to cold smoke, I remove the bin, make a small tray out of aluminum foil, fire up 5 briquettes for my wood, and set it on the element. then I set the heat to 125. The flavor is AMAZING!

Tonight we will have a nice all Organic dinner (exept that darn smoke)
                        Since Wifey and I live a ketogenic lifestyle, I too am adamant about eating organic. It is a little more expensive, but the flavor alone cannot be beat. I also use very little salt, to finding ways to enhance flavor becomes paramount. (My biggest beef - so to speak - is that manufacturing companies use cheap products, then salt the crap out of them.) When I cure, I do use a little bit of salt, but I do more of a sugar cure - if I actually cure it first. Most meat and fish that you will be eating right away don't need curing, so having a smoker is kick-ass for our lifestyle and my salt limitation! But as to the smoke itself, ...I'll get into that in a bit.

Does anybody else smoke their own food?
                        We smoke beef, seafood, veggies, whatever tickles our fancy. But one of my fav smoker items - and i did this yesterday - is to break down a turkey, cure the pieces in a mild salt and maple syrup mixture for a few days, then smoke it with alder and hickory (or just applewood) at 210 degrees for about 6 hours ...until the temperature hits 170F. The white meat tastes just like ham, a lot healthier! It's the centerpiece of our chef salad. Yummm!!!

I did a whole brisket when I first got the Smokin'Tex. No curing, just added a modified Montreal smoked meat rub. Then I smoked it at 225F for 18 hours with alder and mesquite. Wow! Just remember to watch the drain bin for all the oil it renders. Thankfully, on a ketogenic lifestyle, as long as the meat is all natural, that oil is liquid gold!

Am I the only person here that is wacked out about Organic food? I know it’s a problem, and I know I pay something likd 3X for our groceries, and I know that it probably does little good besides making us feel better about it...
                        My lovely Admrial got us started on the “trace to the source” and Organic food craze several years ago, and I guess it just stuck.
                        Again, growing up on and around our family farm (my grandparents, but we had an acre vegetable garden fertilized with home grown manure), we never even heard of organic. As a kid, I would spend my summers 'pitching shit' with a manure spreader and tractor. (The neighbors referred to my technique as a turd tornado, ...which pretty much describes how I did it - high gear, and let ;er fly!) However, we'd also never heard of using ladybugs to battle invaders. My grandfather did have turkeys (and one big goose that thought he was a turkey) to battle grasshoppers.

Anyway, please do tell about your food smoking, or your smoker. Or you can tell me I’m a nut case for spending more than I need to for groceries.
                        We have 5 raised beds in our yard, so all summer we feast on home grown. I also vermin-culture compost our scraps, so our veggies have tons of natural flavor. Otherwise, we are ½ a mile from Sunny Farms organic produce market. I'm there daily!

As to the ketogenic lifestyle, we have never felt better, .....and compared to carb based, it's cheap! Moreover, Wifey used to struggle with hypoglycemia, but has yet to have one episode since changing. For me, compared to when I ate carbs, I now have energy to spare. In simple terms, we eat 30% proteins, 40% greens, and 30% of our energy is from good quality fats. We also limit our carbs to less than 50g/day. Indeed, we eat organic, and considering I am the cook (I cook and Wifey cleans! ^5!!!) my passion for cooking has come back in spades.

Considering I cut my teeth on Alberta beef with potatoes and gravy, I now smoke the meat, cut it thin and lay it on shredded lettuce, add mushrooms and bell peppers, then smother it with various balsamic and olive oil dressings that put our taste buds into orbit!

We were first introduced to keto-genics through watching a series on YouTube called, My Diet is Better Than Yours. Wifey and I binge watched it, and after the last episode, the change we needed to make was clear. It was also incredibly easy! If you have ever done a fad diet, the laughs alone are well worth the time. Wow! (Just know, Abel James isn't the originator of a ketogenic lifestyle, but he has done very well promoting it. And it isn't Atkins.)

As to your concern about smoked meat, as long as you are using the right wood chips and that you limit the amount you consume, the health hazards are minimal. Granted, it will have mild traces of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons such as benzopyrenes, but you are in far greater health risk when you add fuel to your car; when you smell the gas, you will have ingested more polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons than a serving of home smoked turkey.

Ingesting polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons has been theorized and debated for years. But again, it is a trade off. If you love your propane BBQ, or have a propane or wood stove, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are inescapable. There is also very little distinction between manufactured smoked meat and what you do at home. Nitrates and salts, plus an number of ingredients that take a degree in chemistry to pronounce, are added to help preserve them. When I see them in the store, it is easy to walk on by. In fact, I walk past 98% of that grocery stores stocks when I think of all the advertising, store space and uncharges added to all those items, I am not their best customer. In retrospect, 95% of what we eat are the exact opposite of all those products.

The best you can ever do ......is to do the best you can. Enjoy your electric smoker. We sure do!

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                        MMSI: 367637220
                        HAM: KE7TTR
                        TDI tech diver
                        BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                        Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                          I tried smoking a turkey back in the early 70's. Really hard to light and keep lit...
                          Suffering from 'the munchies' back in the 70's, we too tried to smoke turkey. Yup! I just won't light.
                          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                          MMSI: 367637220
                          HAM: KE7TTR
                          TDI tech diver
                          BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                          Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Download_Complete View Post
                            Now I am insanely hungry.

I also want to try deep fried turkey sometime. I have heard it is wonderful.
                            I deep fry a pound or two of bacon before I fry the turkey, It gives a touch of bacon flavor plus I have the bacon to eat as a snack
                            Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Working...
                            X