Wifi(39)d LG fridge/freezer?-gctid826611

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi(39)d LG fridge/freezer?-gctid826611

I was just at my brothers place. When I logged into his router to check my email, I notice an LG wifi connection. He explained that LG has now wifi'd their fridge/freezers so they can trouble shoot easier. He thought it was a good idea. My thought was, 'If LG needs to monitor your fridge that much, I'd buy a different brand."

We bought the new at the time LG 3-door (similar to the door in the door model) 3 years ago and have had no issues with it. Since they either thaw the frozen stuff or freeze the thawed stuff, it's not rocket science to know when it isn't working properly. Why would I want LG to have an open access to my network?

Good idea or just plain stupid?
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Big brother wants to know our eating habits. The next version will have a camera inside to see what we are eating.
    1992 4588

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

The Samsung has a camera inside. https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/f...ator/overview/
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

I bought an LG Frig last year. It has a small microphone/speaker sensor mounted in the upper right hand corner hinge. If the frig starts having problems you call an 800 number, Hit a key sequence on the frig and the sensor downloads the problem code. Then the 800 number does a diagnosis and tells you what component is at fault. I think this is a pretty cool system and they don't need wifi and the associated issues. I have not had to use it yet, hopefully never will.
        Gibraltar, Mi.
        1986- 3870- Hino 175's
        1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
        14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Hmmm... We got rid of our last refrigerator after 18 years, with only one minor malfunction that was fixed in 1/2 hour by a tech. It was working fine when we replaced it. The one before that was working great after 15 years, when I gave it to my father in law. He used it for another 5 years and gave it away - still working.

So I do not see any maintenance reason for having a connected refrigerator, unless the reliability is so poor that it needs frequent troubleshooting. Moreover, I don't see the need for cameras, etc.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA
          Isla Verde, PR

Comment

"canoel" post=826618 wrote:
            The Samsung has a camera inside. https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/f...ator/overview/
            Hey, at least that has a practical function. But would you have your fridge wifi'd through your router just so LG can troubleshoot? I seem to be missing that enzyme. :side:
            "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
            MMSI: 367637220
            HAM: KE7TTR
            TDI tech diver
            BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
            Kevin

Comment

Big Brother

CIA Chief: We'll Spy on You Through Your Dishwasher
              2003 Bayliner 245
              2007 Sedona F21

Comment

Hey if my fridge had a camera and they were video tapping me naked in the middle of the night sneaking a snack I couldn't care less,

They probably never saw a uglier person naked.
                Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Are you sure he doesn't have an LG TV?

Comment

The next gen refrigerators will monitor what you have on hand, then automatically order what you need to restock from your favorite local food store. Taking the store out of the shopping experience. Not sure whether I want that or not. Makes us too dependent on technology for everyday survival.
                    1990 2755 - sold
                    2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

Smells like IoT

What is The Internet of Things?
                      2003 Bayliner 245
                      2007 Sedona F21

Comment

Working...
                      X