Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted-gctid825811

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hurricane Maria - Boats Looted-gctid825811

This video from a Puerto Rico news station talks about the looting of boats. Apparently they are mostly after gasoline and diesel but they are also taking equipment and food. They mentioned that some boat owners are staying aboard to ensure that their boat does not get looted.

https://www.wapa.tv/noticias/locales...122414454.html
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA
    Isla Verde, PR

Puerto Rico is known for its crime, so that doesn't surprise me. I've been there many times for work.

PR for some reason is treated like an illegitimate red-headed stepchild. The news doesn't report much about what is going on down there. Most people here don't know about the financial crisis they are in.
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

"green650" post=825829 wrote:
      Puerto Rico is known for its crime, so that doesn't surprise me. I've been there many times for work.

PR for some reason is treated like an illegitimate red-headed stepchild. The news doesn't report much about what is going on down there. Most people here don't know about the financial crisis they are in.
      That is not too surprising really - most folks do not know about the financial crisis that is affecting many of our mainland cities either.
      Northport NY

Comment

Puerto Rico is known for its crime.
        Not according to the latest FBI data, the violent and non-violent crime rates in Puerto Rico are lower than they are in most states.
        Anacortes, WA
        Isla Verde, PR

Comment

FBI crime reporting not represent reality? I'm shocked, shocked!
          2003 Bayliner 245
          2007 Sedona F21

Comment

"Norton Rider" post=825858 wrote:
            Puerto Rico is known for its crime.
            Not according to the latest FBI data, the violent and non-violent crime rates in Puerto Rico are lower than they are in most states.
            They were lower - not likely any more.
            Northport NY

Comment

Personally, I do not consider looting these boat as a crime. This is about the preservation of life. The news tonight states that the powers that be are only allowing 2 flights a day into PR. Many families have no home, no food, and barely enough water to sustain themselves.

What would you do if your family hadn't eaten for over a week, and you knew where there was food, shelter and water? I would likely even steal a boat to get my family off the island to safety. And once my family was safe, I'd let them arrest me, ....or turn myself in.

Considering where this is taking place, to call this a crime is narrow minded, cruel ....and appalling.

If no one is living on these boats, I'm surprised the government hasn't claimed it a dire emergency and appropriated the fuel and food, and anything else they could use.
              "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
              MMSI: 367637220
              HAM: KE7TTR
              TDI tech diver
              BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
              Kevin

Comment

I have to admit that if my family had no food or water I'd do just about anything, including theft, to keep them alive. This scenario is altogether different than thug looters who steal TV sets from an appliance store.
                Jim Gandee
                1989 3888
                Hino 175's
                Fire Escape
                [email protected]
                Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Not sure why the USAF can't drop a half dozen forward controllers and their equipment into San Juan and open that airport...
                  Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
                  Lake Havasu City, AZ
                  |
                  Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
                  2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                  2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                  2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                  2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                  And 12 others...
                  In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

"Jeffw" post=826045 wrote:
                    Not sure why the USAF can't drop a half dozen forward controllers and their equipment into San Juan and open that airport...
                    Some flights are getting in and out of San Juan airport.
                    2003 Bayliner 245
                    2007 Sedona F21

Comment

The main airport (SJU) is open. Relief flights have been arriving regularly. As a matter of fact, I have a relative who is a C-17 Crew Chief in the Air Force Reserves that was sent there TDY to receive and help service the airplanes. I do not know if the other main airports are open and/or accepting relief flights: Aguadilla, Mayaguez, Ponce.

The issue with the boat looting, and looting on land as well, is that it is not only food, water, and fuel. Electronics are being looted from boats, consumer goods are being looted from stores.
                      Anacortes, WA
                      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Is Rooselevlt Roads navel air station still in Puerto Rico?
                        Just love being on my 3870............Bill
                        1985 3870
                        Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
                        Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
                        Live on board full time.
                        North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

There will always be lawlessness where law enforcement - even self-policing - is compromised. But looting electronics is not the norm in most areas, particularly where people are fighting to get food and water. Reading that only 11 of 59 hospitals are open, (the rest completely destroyed or needing major work to reopen) and most of the open ones are rapidly running out of fuel for their generators AND have no space to take on any more injured, it seems safe to say that relief is not getting there.

The biggest issue with getting aid to Puerto Rico is The Jones Act, a 100 year old law that was waived for other islands, but not Puerto Rico. This law is also the reason Puerto Rico is in such debt.

Before I criticized or judged them, I'd have to walk a mile in their shoes ....or in most of these cases, their bare feet.

ADDITIONALLY, here is a little more info on the effects of The Jones Act.
                          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                          MMSI: 367637220
                          HAM: KE7TTR
                          TDI tech diver
                          BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                          Kevin

Comment

"CptCrunchie" post=826075 wrote:
                            There will always be lawlessness where law enforcement - even self-policing - is compromised. But looting electronics is not the norm in most areas, particularly where people are fighting to get food and water. Reading that only 11 of 59 hospitals are open, (the rest completely destroyed or needing major work to reopen) and most of the open ones are rapidly running out of fuel for their generators AND have no space to take on any more injured, it seems safe to say that relief is not getting there.

The biggest issue with getting aid to Puerto Rico is https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-puert...The Jones Act, a 100 year old law that was waived for other islands, but not Puerto Rico. This law is also the reason Puerto Rico is in such debt.

Before I criticized or judged them, I'd have to walk a mile in their shoes ....or in most of these cases, their bare feet.

ADDITIONALLY, here is a little more info on https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/25/o...The Jones Act.
                            +1 on the effects of the Jones act.

Not only has it resulted in higher prices in the island for many years, but it has also resulted in zero boat building. This protectionist act also requires that US Flagged vessels be built in the United States. For this reason, ship and boat building has never been an industry in PR.

Note that the US Virgin Islands are exempt from the act but Puerto Rico is not.
                            Anacortes, WA
                            Isla Verde, PR

Comment

"Old Man With A Boat" post=826068 wrote:
                              Is Rooselevlt Roads navel air station still in Puerto Rico?
                              Sadly, Roosevelt Roads was closed in 2004. I believe that a big reason for this was the closing of the naval ranges on the islands of Vieques and Culebra. Ramey Air Force Base was closed in 1973.

There are only 3-4 military installations left on the Island. Fort Buchanan is a US Army fort that is kept in a ready status in case a situation requires US armed forces to move there. It is managed by a skeleton crew of DOD contractors. The Navy maintains a VLF communications station in the town of Aguada. The other installations on the island belong to the Army and Air National Guard, with a small active duty presence from Navy communications groups.
                              Anacortes, WA
                              Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Working...
                              X