Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disaster Boats-gctid824838

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Disaster Boats-gctid824838

    After viewing the pictures of sunk,beached or damaged boats from Harvey and Irma, I wonder how many of these boats were insured and will ever be sea worthy again.. Prior to Irma, we spent Labor Day weekend in St Petersburg Beach, while having lunch at John's Pass, The wife thought it would be nice to get a bigger boat 16-18ft to cruise the intercoastal waterway. I'm thinking maybe a Boston Whaler Ventura or Scout 175 Dorado project boat could be had priced right.

    #2
    What's happened in the past is that insurance companies sold totaled boats to a few specialized dealers. These dealers in turn retailed and/or auctioned off the boats. I expect to start seeing them on the market in a month or two.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

    Comment


      #3
      Take a lot of care and be very clinical when you are looking at these boats. At the size you are looking at, if it was sunk, you are buying a hull. The motor should be at least gone through, the wiring and gauges are probably shot, interior may be salvageable and on and on. If you are looking for a project to entertain yourself and understand the full scope of the project, and that the economics aren't going to pencil out against some other options, go for it. Just don't take any short cuts, they will come back to haunt you.

      The one advantage is that you will know the boat completely.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

      Comment


        #4
        "Pcpete" post=824843 wrote:
        Take a lot of care and be very clinical when you are looking at these boats. At the size you are looking at, if it was sunk, you are buying a hull. The motor should be at least gone through, the wiring and gauges are probably shot, interior may be salvageable and on and on. If you are looking for a project to entertain yourself and understand the full scope of the project, and that the economics aren't going to pencil out against some other options, go for it. Just don't take any short cuts, they will come back to haunt you.

        The one advantage is that you will know the boat completely.
        That's the reason I am looking only at Boston Whaters or Scout boats as they are built only from composites and use only the highest quality parts. Besides people who purchase and own them tend to take better care of them. Making them a worthy project, Just My Opinion.

        Comment


          #5
          If you are careful you could probably find some good ones. Not all boats were.sunk but washed up on shore and left there when the water went away. Maybe have some hull damage. A completely submerged boat I would stay away from.
          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

          Comment


            #6
            Every time this type of storm hits Canada see a lot brought to market here .

            They shine them up real nice and are priced to sell

            I would be care full on what comes to market

            Comment


              #7
              "FISHIN00" post=824845 wrote:
              ...That's the reason I am looking only at Boston Whaters or Scout boats as they are built only from composites and use only the highest quality parts. Besides people who purchase and own them tend to take better care of them. Making them a worthy project, Just My Opinion.
              Whalers have foam that can get waterlogged. A boat with a hole in the fiberglass hull or deck will probably have wet foam. The foam can be replaced, but it usually entails cutting out a large part of the deck/inner hull.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

              Comment


                #8
                "Norton Rider" post=824873 wrote:
                "FISHIN00" post=824845 wrote:
                ...That's the reason I am looking only at Boston Whaters or Scout boats as they are built only from composites and use only the highest quality parts. Besides people who purchase and own them tend to take better care of them. Making them a worthy project, Just My Opinion.
                Whalers have foam that can get waterlogged. A boat with a hole in the fiberglass hull or deck will probably have wet foam. The foam can be replaced, but it usually entails cutting out a large part of the deck/inner hull.
                I would not look at one that had the hull compromised. Would look for ones needing mainly cosmetic work. Before Irma I was keeping an eye on a few in the Ft Myers area.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Any boat that was submerged you can bet you will need to remove all wire and electrical systems, that in it's self is a major project.

                  been there done that on my 3870.
                  Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

                  Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X