Boarded in the middle of the night-gctid824677

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boarded in the middle of the night-gctid824677

2am at Imperial Landing in Steveston. Awoke by movement on the boat. 4 unknowns on my boat making noise, taking photos and going up and down from the fly bridge. Police called , they responded quickly but if seemed like forever.

Just some youngsters having fun. It was a tense situation, you never know how things will turn out when alcohol is involved.
    1992 4588
    WitchWay

Seadoo Wake 170

That kind of "fun" gets dumb-ass people killed. Alcohol or not.
    Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    |
    Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 12 others...
    In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

"Jeffw" post=824679 wrote:
      That kind of "fun" gets dumb-ass people killed. Alcohol or not.
      This situation has made me realize the need for a self-defence plan. The only thing I have onboard is a kitchen knife and a flare gun. The neither of them was close by while we were down in the midberth.
      1992 4588
      WitchWay

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

I know your laws are different, but we overnight on the boat in California, where the laws are much more stringent than here in Arizona. That said, I put our safety first, and would "rather be judged by 12, than carried by six." I can also report that the sound of a 12 gauge pump chambering a round sends most ne'er-do-wells fleeing...B)

Edit: And the ones on deck WILL hear that sound from the forward berth!
        Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ
        |
        Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
        2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
        2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
        2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
        2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
        And 12 others...
        In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Wow thats pretty spooky.

Honestly i think i would handle this situation with some positive vibes as i try to see the world as a beautiful place where all people are inherently good.

If the youngsters were boarding your boat in admiration i would offer them a tour to satisfy their curiosity and then dish out a learning lesson on just how expensive everything marine is and how you need to respect peoples dream property on that fact alone. Perhaps down the road it would keep you more protected than any 12 gauge would now that the word is out you have a cool boat and its known you arent an arse and kids would be more affraid of the costs of repairs then gettig shot!

Remember the youth are invincible! But when a door handle costs more than the new Jordan's thats some perspective you can arm them with that they can comprehend more effectively.
          1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
          1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
          2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
          Michigan

Comment

On the same note, at home i sleep next to my 1911... so im on both sides, id rather be alive than be a victim
            1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
            1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
            2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
            Michigan

Comment

My bedside gun is a Sig P226 with a green laser. It's super bright and if the kids are brazen enough to hang around after seeing that come up from downstairs, their problems would get worse quickly.
              Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

I 2nd that!!!!!!!

Don
                1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
                1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
                1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
                10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
                1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
                "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

My self defense is a CZ 75 9MM. Unlike Jeff"s 12 gauge, no one will hear the sound of the slide being racked because it's already racked!
                  Jim Gandee
                  1989 3888
                  Hino 175's
                  Fire Escape
                  [email protected]
                  Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

"joe440" post=824677 wrote:
                    2am at Imperial Landing in Steveston. Awoke by movement on the boat. 4 unknowns on my boat making noise, taking photos and going up and down from the fly bridge. Police called , they responded quickly but if seemed like forever.

Just some youngsters having fun. It was a tense situation, you never know how things will turn out when alcohol is involved.
                    Steveston you say that's not good, I stay on my boat in New West when working in the Lower Mainland. Right now I'm doing nights so I wouldn't be on board in the wee hours when this type of stuff happens, now you've got me thinking about a self-defense strategy, gun, shotgun, speargun all sound good. Some piece of crap tried stealing one of the guys at the marina's motorcycle a few weeks back(failed) but did a bunch of damage, so I'm going to go on the theory that it's a bad area. The look on a crackheads face when you rack a 12 guage and tell him "start swimming" would be priceless.
                    John, Laurie and official boat dogs Rosie and Peanut(Jose)
                    '79 Bayliner Conquest
                    twin 350's volvo 280's
                    Boston Bar BC/ Boat in Vancouver BC

Comment

"Jim Gandee" post=824728 wrote:
                      My self defense is a CZ 75 9MM. Unlike Jeff"s 12 gauge, no one will hear the sound of the slide being racked because it's already racked!
                      +1 on the CZ 75
                      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA
                      Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Flare guns are quite scary when you explain to the target how they work. I had that situation. When they were told that the round would not kill them instantly, but rather start them on fire from the inside out, their eyes suddenly opened really wide, and departure was the only thing on their mind. Kind of a fire and brimstone sermon, but short and to the point.

Greg

Earlier I referred to the round as containing phosphorous. I stand corrected. They contain most commonly strontium nitrate (for color) and potassium perchlorate (to enhance combustion).
                        Newport, Oregon
                        South Beach Marina
                        1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                        Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                        Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

When I was working on the Dago squid boats in Monterey we kept seal bombs just for this reason
                          Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

We take these with us just in case. We were boarded in the middle of the night a few years ago while anchored on the Wisconsin side of the Saint Croix river. After walking out of the cabin half asleep and armed it turned out to be the Wisconsin DNR. He didn't see my pistol so I quietly stashed it and he never saw it. I advised him when boarding a boat in the middle of the night he may want to announce himself and his intensions to the vessels occupants. When I asked him what he needed he informed me that I must pay $15.00 to anchor as the river bed is part of the Kinikinnic state park. I declined to pay the fee and moved down river 200 yards.

Attached files

1988 Mainship 36 Sedan
                            1995 2858
                            1988 2655
                            1987 2150
                            Commercial/Industrial HVAC Service Tech.

Comment

"RPrather" post=824784 wrote:
                              We take these with us just in case. We were boarded in the middle of the night a few years ago while anchored on the Wisconsin side of the Saint Croix river. After walking out of the cabin half asleep and armed it turned out to be the Wisconsin DNR. He didn't see my pistol so I quietly stashed it and he never saw it. I advised him when boarding a boat in the middle of the night he may want to announce himself and his intensions to the vessels occupants. When I asked him what he needed he informed me that I must pay $15.00 to anchor as the river bed is part of the Kinikinnic state park. I declined to pay the fee and moved down river 200 yards.
                              That was a rather brazen move by the DNR guy. Coming aboard your boat in the middle of the night is not a smart thing to do even for someone in law enforcement.
                              Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                              West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

Working...
                              X