F*@#$ing PHOTOBUCKET!!-gctid818835

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F*@#$ing PHOTOBUCKET!!-gctid818835

I can see a few others have already noticed, but I feel the need to rant a bit anyway. I've been using Photobucket for over 10 years.... dozens, maybe hundreds of posts over the years containing roughly 500 hosted images among them, 99% of which are on Photobucket. Now... unless you give them an OUTRAGEOUS $399 per year, they replace your images with this:

I'm hovering over the delete account button... but there's been such an outcry that there is maybe a SLIM possibility they will relent I suppose. It's only been implmented recently so we'll see. The frustrating part is that the option to download all my images at once doesn't seem to be working either. I'd like all the pics in one place at least so if I do choose to rehost the images on any old forum posts they are easy to find.

Using IMGUR now... seems ok. What else are people using?
    Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
    Tsawwassen, BC
    1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
    Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
    "Island Passport"
    Home Marina: Tillicum Bay Marina, Sechelt Inlet, BC

Shutterfly.
    Erik, Julie, Josh, Molly, Blake and Luke
    M/V "Miracle"
    2002 5288
    Port Orchard Yacht Club

Previous Vessels:
    1977 36' Blue Sea Tri Cabin Trawler
    1992 19' Bluewater Riviera

Comment

countless Photobucket pics in all of my 7475 posts... tell me about it :angry:
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

That blows

Yet another reason to insert the photo into the text window. It finally works without having to resize.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I've paid for a web hosting service for a few dollars a month for nearly 15 years now. I just upload any photos I want to share via ftp, and post the URL. I can, of course, also create web pages and websites, password protect certain pics while leaving others accessible to the world, and it's a convenient place to dump files too large to attach to emails and keep them under my control. And when I was briefly living in Canada and while trying to file my taxes discovered that the IRS website isn't accessible outside the U.S., I used it as a proxy for my web browsing (they give me shell access) so the IRS would think I was browsing from Los Angeles.

Well worth the money IMHO, but you have to register your own domain (about $10/yr), learn ftp, a few Unix commands, and (if want to do the web and proxy stuff) HTML, Apache, PHP, SSH, etc. Once you do that, everything stays under your control for as long as you pay to keep it hosted.
          1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Regarding storage, this is one of the reasons that I do not store things in the cloud. I use high capacity drives for my photos and important documents. Some of the drives reside in a fireproof safe.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA
            Isla Verde, PR

Comment

"Norton Rider" post=818844 wrote:
              Regarding storage, this is one of the reasons that I do not store things in the cloud. I use high capacity drives for my photos and important documents. Some of the drives reside in a fireproof safe.
              Am I being to anal by doing both? I like the security of multiple types and places of storage media. Plus online storage can be accessed from anywhere?

Btw: Wasn't there once a need to have to post a photo here only through a web host?
              Simo
              2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
              Shameless lurking on Lake Keowee with a Harris Cruiser 210 Tritoon/Mercury 150XL EFI

Comment

"tdcooper99" post=818835 wrote:
                I've been using Photobucket for over 10 years.... dozens, maybe hundreds of posts over the years containing roughly 500 hosted images among them, 99% of which are on Photobucket. Now... unless you give them an OUTRAGEOUS $399 per year, they replace your images with this:
                10 years of free photo storage for 500 images.....

I was wondering when they were going to start charging.
                Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

You can use something like WebSnake to pull all the images off at one time. Works great.
                  Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=818871 wrote:
                    You can use something like WebSnake to pull all the images off at one time. Works great.
                    The problem isn't retrieving the images if you want to host them elsewhere. The problem is nobody is going to go through thousands of their posts on dozens of websites over 10+ years to edit every single image URL from photobucket to the new hosting site.

There really is no clean solution to this if you don't own the URL for your images. You're completely at the mercy of the domain owner if they decide to mess with what the URL in your link points to.

Comment

"Solandri" post=818888 wrote:
                      The problem isn't retrieving the images if you want to host them elsewhere.
                      He mentioned: "The frustrating part is that the option to download all my images at once doesn't seem to be working either."

WebSnake will allow you to pull them all down at once.
                      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=818925 wrote:
                        "Solandri" post=818888 wrote:
                        The problem isn't retrieving the images if you want to host them elsewhere.
                        He mentioned: "The frustrating part is that the option to download all my images at once doesn't seem to be working either."

Thanks. I'll try that.
                        Tyson, Ackerley, Sidney & Gene
                        Tsawwassen, BC
                        1996 2858 Ciera Command Bridge
                        Mercruiser 7.4L BRAVO II (GEN. V) GM 454 V-8; Engine Serial 0F603347
                        "Island Passport"
                        Home Marina: Tillicum Bay Marina, Sechelt Inlet, BC

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=818925 wrote:

I see now. My apologies.

Comment

Never been a fan of those apps....even when our BOC website changed formats, everyone was saying get a photo app, or photobucket...I am not the most tech savvy, and actually go tech with me kicking and screaming....that being said, held the course, " I don't need no stinking bucket" or snake, just use my iPad, the cloud I guess, and good 'old Matt Train fixed the issues...sorry to feel your pain fellas...."it costs a lot to be the man"
                            Lake Hartwell, GA
                            2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
                            1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
                            1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
                            1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
                            1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
                            1996 SeaDoo GTX
                            1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

Working...