First splash yesterday a bit tense-gctid815233

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First splash yesterday a bit tense-gctid815233

Ok...got to the ramp on the Ohio River and noticed there was no dock. Really a pain in river current. Anyway, floated the boat and backed into the river to approach the shore to pick up my companion and...ran into what I thought was a snag. Could not advance forward or reverse, so tried forward and reverse alternately. Finally freed myself and motored to the middle of the river. There was a city worker in a truck there and he had earlier mentioned a concrete dock. No warning, no location information, and I rarely use this ramp. Anyway, the submerged concrete dock is what a ran into. I realized that after noting many submerged docks as we made our way several miles upriver.

Reload was a real challenge. 6mph current and 15 mph winds. Like crabbing in an airplane in crosswinds. Good news though. Got the boat centered on the trailer with I am a bit overly proud to say was some pretty good wheel and throttle work. No significant damage to prop and only one pretty tiny chunk out of the skeg. Pretty tense, though.

Any day on the water...as they say.
    Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
    Alpha 1, Gen II
    2019 F-150 3.0l Powerstroke Crew Cab 4WD
    Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

King of retirement. Finally got that last promotion.

sunken docks!!! That would make me never go back to that ramp.

I have a dock neighbor that says any day boating that does less than $500 in damage is a good day
    1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
    S. Puget Sound

Comment

"Shawnh" post=815266 wrote:
      sunken docks!!! That would make me never go back to that ramp.

I have a dock neighbor that says any day boating that does less than $500 in damage is a good day
      Your neighbor is right!

To be fair, on the Ohio, it can be tough to regulate the levels with the locks and dams after a major rain event. I'll call this an error on my part.
      Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
      Alpha 1, Gen II
      2019 F-150 3.0l Powerstroke Crew Cab 4WD
      Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

King of retirement. Finally got that last promotion.

Comment

We boat on the Ohio too and I would never use the "marina" at our town, Steubenville because you are backing directly into the main current with no docking facility. We tow the boat downriver about 20 min. where there is a true marina with a backwater to the river, very calm, docks available and then up a short channel to the main river. This time of year on the Ohio with all the rain is tough too, full size trees can be seen floating!

Joe

Comment

Working...
        X