Dockside Entertainment-gctid814889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dockside Entertainment-gctid814889

I was doing some boat operation training with my youngest son and his wife yesterday and their plan was to go from Everett to Kingston for ice cream. It was a rare very warm day on Puget Sound and I was "encouraged" to go with them in case they needed some sage wisdom. I was okay with the idea as I had put nearly 40 hours on the engines since last fueling on the way to opening day in Seattle and fuel in Kingston was 34 cents a gallon cheaper than Everett.

We were able to moor in the Kingston Cove Yacht Club reciprocal next to the dinghy and small boat/short stay dock. The first act was the guy who shut off his motor fully two boat lengths from any slip then went to the bow with a line. After lots of fending here and there and pinching his hand at least once, he tied up. When he returned half an hour of so later, he warmed up his engine a full five minutes before leaving the dock.

Then there was the fellow that came in with a new looking Grady-White style cutty cabin in the 22 foot range. I noticed a rather disinterested lady aboard, and as he handled the line, yes, line she was busy looking around. After a few minutes, while he is trying to figure out how to make this single line that appears to be attached to the bow eye, also tie the stern in, she steps off the boat and strikes a classic "I'm so cool" pose and starts texting. Next, he's still trying to stretch his single line, she goes to the bow and takes a few selfies. Finally, he manages to get just enough length of line to control the stern and they head on up the ramp.

The best was the twenty something guy and an eighty something gent in what looked to be a new or nearly new runabout. One clue to me was that they had new, super huge, ocean going PFD's on. The kind where you can't put your hands together front or rear. Good on them for wearing them. As they approached the dock the older gent announced he was on fender duty and pulled up a single fender, no whip worthy of a 75' motoryacht and began placing it between the dock and the boat moving it as necessary because, obviously, there was only one fender. Then, his cell phone rang, so he put the fender down and answered the phone. The debrief between them was a bit louder than normal conversation because both wore hearing aids. The phone was answered because he didn't know who it was.....and it was aperant the younger was trying to balance frustration with being nice to the older fella, and getting a D- at it.

Ah, the entertainment to be had at the dock.

It should be noted that I was not in a position to render assistance but would have if I was.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

There are those times when the entertainment dockside is worth the time to watch.
    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
    www.wrycc.com

Comment

Busy launch ramps can also be extremely entertaining!
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      [email protected]
      Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

I was going to head for the ramp last weekend just to watch. I sure as heck wasn't putting my 2750 in - Years ago we decided it wasn't worth the hassle to take the boat out on the 3 holiday weekends at that lake (Brookville, IN). I took my little sailfish out and there were plenty of boats already, but frankly not as many as I thought there's be out running around - most of them were anchored in the idle zone. Parking was stacked up over 1/2 mile down the road from the ramp. The line for the ramp (3 wide) was stacked up as well. Fortunately there's a separate ramp for sailboats (with separate parking).

Anyway, I had to comment on the first two scenarios from the OP... I could see myself (and I think I have seen myself) in the first scenario on my 2750... I head in to dock, puttering along, trying to slip in and out of forward/neutral/reverse to control speed, except my boat hated that and would die (that's since been fixed and it is SOOOO NICE). At some point it's not worth trying to get it restarted so I would rush around with lines hoping I had enough momentum (but not too much) to make it to the dock.

In the second scenario... I have a standing rule that unless ordered, DON'T HELP DOCK. 20+ years ago I was in Marathon, FL with my circa 1970 23' sailboat drifting in to my slip. I had to head in at about a 45* angle, just missing the piling off to port and make a sharp turn to starboard so that it went straight into the slip. Pretty simple on a boat with a big rudder and some forward momentum... unless your then non-boating-girlfriend decides to "help" and casually pushes off on the piling to port you are trying to barely miss, and therefore pushing the entire boat into the very expensive boat that is off to starboard. Hence... the rule. Doesn't sound like the person in scenario #2 would have been much help anyway... not as a deck hand... maybe stewardess... or just eye candy?

I think the funniest/saddest scenario was the young couple that had a small open-bow (maybe 20-22') at the dock. There wasn't anyone else around and we were up at the top of the ramp prepping our boat to leave when he backed the boat in with her at the helm. After he shouted instructions from shore on how to start the boat, she got it started and in gear... unfortunately, the outdrive was still up, which made it very noisy and hard for her to hear him tell her how to put the out drive down (it didn't help that the boat was going around in circles and it appeared she had no clue how to control it). Fortunately, she finally figured out how to get it out of gear and the out drive down... Unfortunately by that time the boat and drifted stern-in to shore and she put the outdrive down over the top of the cable that runs from the dock to the shore, effectively trapping the boat. I don't know what their relationship was, but the guy did not know the meaning of the words "calm" and "patience". He was SCREAMING at her from the top of his lungs the whole time. Even if I was close enough to help I'm not sure it would have been a good idea, or even if I could have helped. I pitied her... eventually they got it sorted and puttered off for a romantic evening on the lake (I'm sure).

I'm always surprised when I see people go out without the basic necessities... minimum of 2 dock lines and 2 fenders. I usually carry 6 dock lines, a grappling hook, a boat hook and 4 fenders. I did without the boat hook for a few years and I forgot what a great tool it is until I got another one! Best $15 at Wal-Mart I ever spent...
        1985 Bayliner Ciera 2750
        300HP Volvo Penta 5.7 with DP-A drive

Comment

Working...
        X