NEXUS Card-gctid811771

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEXUS Card-gctid811771

I applied for a NEXUS card on May 23rd. Does anyone here know how long the process usually takes? Just curious as my passport expires on August 16th and I am not planning to renew it.
    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
    www.wrycc.com

In my experience, it really depends on how much backlog there is in the location where you'll do the interview. When I got it in Blaine, Washington in 2008, time from submitting the application online to approval for interview was a little less than two weeks. But then I had to wait 3 weeks for an interview slot. (I also wanted expedited entry at airports, so I had to go to Vancouver airport afterwards for another interview, though that one was like 2 questions, then taking photos of my eyes. Not sure if you still need to do that since they switched from iris scans to fingerprints at airports.) Got the card in the mail about 10 days later.

After I moved and applied for the similar Global Entry program, the approval for interview only took a day (probably because I already had Nexus). I foolishly scheduled an interview at Los Angeles International Airport, figuring that a big entry port like that would have a lot of staff. Wrong. The earliest available interview date was 10 months. And I wrote the date down wrong and missed the appointment. I got an email notifying me and telling me to reschedule. This time I checked different locations for available dates (which took a while since the website was set up so you had to pick a location first before you could see available dates - dunno if that's changed). I finally found the border crossing near San Diego only had a 1 week wait for an interview. So I scheduled there, and drove 150 miles just to get it over with. Received the GE card about a week later.

Since your yacht club is in Michigan, I assume you're a U.S. citizen? Unless it's changed, Canadian Customs interviews Americans, and vice versa. (I guess your native country figures if you're a citizen they're not that concerned about you re-entering the country. The foreign country you're trying to enter however wants to know everything about you before they grant you expedited entry.)

From what I remember, time of year is supposed to make a big difference. I applied in February. You're trying to get it in summer during the peak travel season, so the wait will probably be longer. Hmm, based on this site, looks like wait times have gotten a lot longer than when I got my card.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...sing-time.html

After you get the card, do not screw around with it. Don't do *anything* which might jeopardize it - there's basically no appeal process. And losing your card pretty much blacklists you from ever getting it again in your lifetime. I heard horror stories like people being snippy with a Customs officer in a bad mood, and he revoked their card because a half-eaten fast food hamburger in the trash had a slice of tomato in it. They were supposedly working on adding an appeals process during the entire 5 years I had the card, but it never happened. Don't carry anything which could in any possible way be contrived to be a prohibited item - especially fruits and vegetables. Or if you do, make sure you "declare" it by asking the border guard if it's something you need to throw away before crossing the border.
    1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Comment

Nexus is not a substitute for a passport, you still need a valid passport to travel. On top of that, you can only use Nexus at larger crossings as the smaller ones are not set up for this. FYI, Nexus is only accepted between Canada and the US. Any other place in the world you want to go, you might as well show them a baseball card as it has no validity except for maybe a form of photo ID. The passport is and always will be the universal ID of the world.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

The complete process can be a few weeks.

1st step is to get initial approval by registering and supplying all the required information.

Next step is the interviews (canada and usa) which when you have initial approval you need to book. This can be rather long. You basically have a choice between an international airport with US and canadian agents and a land crossing (only the big one are allowed).

As an example when we trying to book an interview, it was 2-3 months of wait at the Montreal airport, because everybody goes to that airport. I chose the very large land crossing just south of Montreal and that took 1 week.

Next is to wait for the cards.

Remember Nexus is a privilege not a right, you have to follow the rules.

It was noted that it is only valid between Canada and the US, well it's a bit more then that (I travel a lot). It works internally in Canada so at the airport you get to the special line for screening.

In Canada if you travel anywhere in the world you can go through that special line to get faster to your gate. Obviously when landing in another country this card is useless.

When you get back from a foreign trip, again you can go through Nexus even if you came from France, the UK.... etc.. Much faster.
        Eric
        Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp

Comment

It works internally in Canada so at the airport you get to the special line for screening.

In Canada if you travel anywhere in the world you can go through that special line to get faster to your gate.
          Correct however only at major airports such as Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and maybe a few more.

Tell me about it! I was at the Airport in London with my family, I had just renewed my passport but little did I know I needed to update this new passport information with Nexus. So I get pulled out and questioned for at least an hour as there was a red flag in my file. I was treated like a criminal because of a simple lack of information update on my part. Got through without an issue in the end but was threatened with losing my Nexus for good.
          Cheers, Hans
          2007 Carver 41 CMY
          Twin Volvo D6-370
          Montreal, Canada
          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Actually, NEXUS works in other countries, albeit unofficially. I was in a long customs line in Paris after arriving from the US. I had my passport in hand along with my NEXUS card, since I keep the card inside the passport. An official that was walking up and down the lines spotted my card and asked to see it. Then he directed me to a line for EU residents. It only had one person ahead of me.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

We just got our cards and it was stressed, right behind follow the rules, that any changes to our documents requires a new face to face interview. So, when my Washington Drivers Lisence is renewed, I'll be driving from Mukilteo to Blaine to do the update. My only issue with that is the other, optional, stops along the way. Grizzly and a few fabric stores in Bellingham, Outlet Mauls in Burlington, Boaters Discount in La Conner, then a late lunch......
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

"Norton Rider" post=811797 wrote:
                Actually, NEXUS works in other countries, albeit unofficially. I was in a long customs line in Paris after arriving from the US. I had my passport in hand along with my NEXUS card, since I keep the card inside the passport. An official that was walking up and down the lines spotted my card and asked to see it. Then he directed me to a line for EU residents. It only had one person ahead of me.
                Last I checked, NEXUS (and other pre-screened traveler programs like SENTRI) automatically qualify you for Global Entry. You can take the Global Entry lanes at airports when returning to the U.S. and skip waiting in line with everyone else. Typically you go to a kiosk, scan your card and fingerprints, it spits out a card saying your ID is confirmed, you hand that to the Immigration agents, wish them a good day, and go on through. I was almost last off the plane but one of the first to get through immigration. I actually had to sit around waiting 20 minutes for my bags to show up at baggage claim.

Comment

"Norton Rider" post=811797 wrote:
                  It should work officially in other countries too.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...-arrangements#

Also worth pointing out that NEXUS and SENTRI gets you into the Pre-Check and Global Entry lanes at U.S. airports.

https://www.dhs.gov/trusted-traveler-comparison-chart

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions

Comment

"MidnightSun" post=811790 wrote:
                    It works internally in Canada so at the airport you get to the special line for screening.

In Canada if you travel anywhere in the world you can go through that special line to get faster to your gate.
                    Correct however only at major airports such as Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and maybe a few more.

Tell me about it! I was at the Airport in London with my family, I had just renewed my passport but little did I know I needed to update this new passport information with Nexus. So I get pulled out and questioned for at least an hour as there was a red flag in my file. I was treated like a criminal because of a simple lack of information update on my part. Got through without an issue in the end but was threatened with losing my Nexus for good.
                    The exact same thing happened to me in Vancouver. I didn't realize I had to notify Nexus with my updated Canadian passport information. While I was being questioned I was told it was written in the fine print and asked if I had read it. I hadn't and that is what I told the interviewer.. I don't know why it isn't automatically connected and updated in their system when you renew your passport, but it's not, so you have to be really careful and know the rules.
                    1991 57 Widebody Tollycraft "Solana"
                    Formerly:
                    Ladysmith, BC
                    Michelle

Comment

It depends on what part of the country you are in. There is up to a 6 month wait now in the Blaine area.

Also, everyone and their mother has Nexus now so sometimes there is no line in the regular lanes and a long line in Nexus lanes. Sometimes you find out when it's too late and you can't switch. Southbound from Vancouver going thru Peace Arch you can get out of the Nexus and go to regular if you pay attention.
                      Esteban
                      Huntington Beach, California
                      2018 Element 16
                      Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                      Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

"RGrew176" post=811771 wrote:
                        I applied for a NEXUS card on May 23rd. Does anyone here know how long the process usually takes? Just curious as my passport expires on August 16th and I am not planning to renew it.
                        2-4 months, though I heard it took one guy 6 months to finally get his.
                        "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                        MMSI: 367637220
                        HAM: KE7TTR
                        TDI tech diver
                        BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                        Kevin

Comment

Working...
                        X