3M windshield urethane-gctid807893

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3M windshield urethane-gctid807893

I understand that 3M windshield urethane is used to bond the glass to the car.

that means it is more than adequate to handle the high summer temps of car

sitting in the sun.

I want to glue some light weight stuff to my dashboard and also my interior-side of my

windshield. but, everything falls off in the summer sun.

would 3M windshield urethane be a sure way to gitRdone, permanently?
    Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

"aspen1880" post=807893 wrote:

sitting in the sun.

I want to glue some light weight stuff to my dashboard and also my interior-side of my

Have you tried double faced foam sticky tape (3M) ?
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

It would be fine but is a bitch to work with. VERY thick and difficult to squeeze from the tube without an electric caulk gun, and is like the proverbial tarbaby. But it does work well and like 5200 will stick to almost anything except starboard.

3m exterior trim tape, "the double side foam tape" works very well as long as the object is not very heavy. It's used to hold all kinds of things to the exterior of a car, mirrors, trim, emblems, rocker panels, taillights, etc.
      1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
      In over my head for sure!!
      M/V SKUA refit
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...ak-gctid499442

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...contessa-refit

Comment

Depending on what you are mounting 3M VHB tape is very good and is used in semi-structural applications.
        1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
        1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
        Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Oh yea - someone already touched on it but if you think 5200 is bad to work with the black windshield urethane is worse.

With 5200 you get to 90% clean with a thinner rag and all is mostly well. Get to 90% with that crap and you have smeared black gunk all over and now you get to really start cleaning.
          Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

"kwb" post=808052 wrote:
            Oh yea - someone already touched on it but if you think 5200 is bad to work with the black windshield urethane is worse.

With 5200 you get to 90% clean with a thinner rag and all is mostly well. Get to 90% with that crap and you have smeared black gunk all over and now you get to really start cleaning.
            When using gooey adhesives, blue masking tape is your friend. Use it copiously and save on the clean up headaches later. Your project may even look like it was done by a pro.

Greg
            Newport, Oregon
            South Beach Marina
            1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
            Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
            Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Thank ya'all so much!

i did not know about VHB and how it is used. I will try that.

Note: I researched 3M VHB and I assume it is a high grade of

double sided foam tape.

I learned that this following product when used with 3M VHB

will make an amazing *super* strong bond:

3M 06396 Automotive Adhesion Promoter

Related question: can ya'all speculate on success of

mounting a small lightweight object (like an iphone as an example)

to a car dashboard using 3M 5200. ?

I'm afraid to "try it" because it is a biatch to get that stuff

off (should it not be up to the task of permanently mounting

something and standing up to the hot summer temps found

on a dashboard)

I use 5200 quite often.

Comment

Unfortunately while 3M 5200 is a very good product, heat will facilitate it's removal. So from what I have learned about it from BOC, it is unlikely to work on the dash of your car or boat if it is subjected to high surface temperatures. There are high heat products out there, but I don't feel qualified to comment on them since I have not used them much except on mechanical assemblies.

Greg
                Newport, Oregon
                South Beach Marina
                Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Unfortunately while 3M 5200 is a very good product, heat will facilitate it's removal. So from what I have learned about it from BOC, it is unlikely to work on the dash of your car or boat if it is subjected to high surface temperatures. There are high heat products out there, but I don't feel qualified to comment on them since I have not used them much except on mechanical assemblies as a gasket/sealant.

Greg
                  Newport, Oregon
                  South Beach Marina

Comment

thanks, that's why I lean toward the windshield adhesive because that is the only thing holding the windshield (not through bolted or screwed) and it takes a heat without loosening and dropping the windshield. I get that it IS nasty to work with.

Comment

"Mr. Darcy" post=808140 wrote:
                      "kwb" post=808052 wrote:

When using gooey adhesives, blue masking tape is your friend. Use it copiously and save on the clean up headaches later. Your project may even look like it was done by a pro.

Greg
                      Tape is a part of the solution but that stuff is a bigger PITA than anything else I have ever worked with. And more often than not my work does look like a pro did it. B)
                      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

kwb, sorry to hear of the trouble it causes you. It is tricky stuff to work with and far from my favorite. I finally figured out that I was applying way too much product. Once the quantity was reduced drastically I had better success. And some do turn out looking pretty good. Wish I had taken pictures to show you what I mean. Just a little too much can make a big mess, and not enough results in failure. Like I said, not my favorite stuff to use.

Greg
                        Newport, Oregon
                        South Beach Marina

Comment

Urethanes are not uv stable, similar to most adhesives. The sun will come through the back of the glass and destroy the bond by degrading the glass side of the urethane. You need to shield the other side of the glass from the sun or use a silicone based product like dow corning 795, it seems to have good adhesion and sticks to plastics fairly well.
                          1990 3888 Bayliner, Twin 351's

Comment

"aspen1880" post=807893 wrote:

sitting in the sun.

Urethane can not be exposed to direct sunlight it will break down and crumble apart. That's why the edges of a widshield are black to block the sun.

Ken
                            300SD all options sold.

Comment

I use this stuff on a weekly basis installing Aircraft windshields.

If you want to use the 3M 590 adhesive to mount something to a windshield you will need to use 3M 590 glass primer. It is a UV blocker and will protect the adhesive. After applying the primer let it dry for about a 1/2 hour first. Best adhesion occurs within 2 hours of primer application.

If applying the adhesive to anything other then glass use 3M 591 all purpose primer

Before applying anything use 3M AP596 Cleaner/Adhesion promoter. Let dry for 15 minutes before applying primer.

I have used this stuff to glue all sorts of stuff together and if done properly i bet you could glue a boat together with it.

I have about 10 tubes some one can have if you want to drive to me to get it.(expired from work but still very usable)
                              Pat. Sandpoint Ida
                              I NEED ANOTHER BOAT!!

Comment

Working...
                              X