Inside or outside?-gctid801491

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside or outside?-gctid801491

Went to look at our slip today. Still too much ice, but they start putting boats in next week, they were busy breaking ice. Excited to finally be at a solid Marina.

Question. I have a slip on the inside of the last dock finger. I was looking and don't feel too comfy with the narrow passage between fingers. Was thinking of changing to an outside slip. Then the boat will be unprotected, but it'll be easier to got in and out, no traffic and better view. Granted the Marina is at the end of the main channel and so is quite nicely protected, though it can get windy... it shouldn't get toooooo choppy. What would you do?

Finger is the lower right in the picture.

Slip I'm thinking of moving to is about 7 over from the main dock.

Slip I'm in is about 2/3s over from the left, on the inside.

Attached files

Crash Override
    1989 Bayliner 2455
    Ford 351W (5.8l) OMC Cobra
    Mods: Custom pulpit, 8 million candle power of LED lighting, Lowrance Hook 5, Uniden UM380BK VHF w/8' Whip, Custom 3,000lb cable drive winch w/150 cable+rode, Sound system, upgraded sleeping quarters.

If you back in to the "outside" slip, probably not too may issues. Bow in would be a bit harder on the lines just because any wind or waves have a larger flatter surface to run into. You may want to find an empty dock or slip an practice with fenders all over the place.

Practice like that pays big when you are arriving someplace with an audience and you "nail the landing".

Years ago I watched a boat try to land at a fuel dock for a full half hour. They could get the bow in just fine but as soon as they tried to bring the stern in the bow backed off and they were ten feet from the dock. They had boat hooks, line throwing, all of it, and it was embarrassing even to me. We were only 50 feet away but a long way by dock to get to them. It was a beautiful day so the navy top was off, so I told my 12 year old son, who had been operating our twin engine 30' boat for years to take it out. The other boaters stood there with jaws dropped as my son backed the boat out, spun it to the channel heading, and motored out. I just couldn't help rub in their lack of practice.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Awesome story. I've been practising for some time. I never go bow in, ever. Even if it takes me ten try, though it never has.

The perpendicular gas docks are my only anxiety. The single engine is a bit of a pain to swing the bow around 90 degrees in a right spot. Other than that, I think I'm descent ... after seeing supposed "experienced" captains, people would say I look like a pro... I disagree lol

"Pcpete" post=801492 wrote:
      If you back in to the "outside" slip, probably not too may issues. Bow in would be a bit harder on the lines just because any wind or waves have a larger flatter surface to run into. You may want to find an empty dock or slip an practice with fenders all over the place.

Practice like that pays big when you are arriving someplace with an audience and you "nail the landing".

Years ago I watched a boat try to land at a fuel dock for a full half hour. They could get the bow in just fine but as soon as they tried to bring the stern in the bow backed off and they were ten feet from the dock. They had boat hooks, line throwing, all of it, and it was embarrassing even to me. We were only 50 feet away but a long way by dock to get to them. It was a beautiful day so the navy top was off, so I told my 12 year old son, who had been operating our twin engine 30' boat for years to take it out. The other boaters stood there with jaws dropped as my son backed the boat out, spun it to the channel heading, and motored out. I just couldn't help rub in their lack of practice.
      Crash Override
      1989 Bayliner 2455
      Ford 351W (5.8l) OMC Cobra
      Mods: Custom pulpit, 8 million candle power of LED lighting, Lowrance Hook 5, Uniden UM380BK VHF w/8' Whip, Custom 3,000lb cable drive winch w/150 cable+rode, Sound system, upgraded sleeping quarters.

Comment

Working...
      X