Ford special order truck and missed delivery dates-gctid801287

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford special order truck and missed delivery dates-gctid801287

On Jan. 30 I signed an order at the local Ford dealer for a custom F150 XLT. Sales rep said normal delivery is 6-8 weeks. He called me in early March and said that paperwork from Ford indicated a delivery window of 3-18 to 3-27.

3-27 was 8 weeks, it came and went, no truck. 3-28 the rep said he did not know where it was, Ford uses independent truckers for delivery. 3-29 he said that Ford said it was 'in convoy', but he did not know what that meant either. He said when it gets here he'll let me know. 3-31, still no truck.

Depending on cab style, trucks are built in Dearborn, Michigan; Kansas City, Missouri; Valencia, Venezuela and Cuautitlan, Mexico, so it could be coming from anywhere.

I'd cancel the order but I'd lose my deposit and can't afford it.

After all of the above my questions are:

-is this a typical delivery process?

-does it always take longer than quoted?

-why can Home Depot track an online purchase item for delivery but Ford has no idea of location?

-do all car makers do the same thing?

I understand delays, bad weather, QC/QA inspections etc. But some status communication from Ford to the dealer to me would be nice.
    Bob
    "Easy Living"
    2007 Discovery 246, 5.0L MPI, CC, B3
    Boating on the Rappahannock River, Virginia

Oh they can track it, but it depends on their allocation. Some less than honest dealers (thinking VW here) will "sell" you a ordered vehicle, but actually keep you on the hook because they don't have an allocation.

How to you resolve this? Call them up and ask for a VIN. The salesman should be able to get it for you. If they cannot, then the truck never existed in the first place.

And the dealer can give you your deposit back. They are not performing the expected service. I do not think Ford is the problem, I think you are getting the dealer runaround.
    Matt Train
    BOC Site Team
    Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Car/truck delivery experiences are hit and miss. Most of the time they are OK at best but when they say 6-8 you can almost always count on the 8 and then some. Ordered a car for my wife several years back with production in Europe. Promised in 3 months, was 1 month over due so I blew my top because I could not even get a verified answer as to when it would be delivered or the status. Found out it was not even in production yet so I cancelled the contract and got my deposit back as it would have been several more months before I would see something and even that was questionable. In your case you are probably only a few days out, just be patient, it is on it's way.
      Cheers, Hans
      2007 Carver 41 CMY
      Twin Volvo D6-370
      Montreal, Canada
      Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I remember back in the old days when you went to the dealer and said I want to buy a pick up. The salesman would say I only have a red one, a green one and a blue one left and those were your choices.

Something must be going on with Ford because I took my 2011 F150 in for service and while waiting I went in to the showroom to blow some time and look at new vehicles with no intentions of buying one.

The first salesman who won the foot race to me asked if I was looking for a new vehicle. I told him I was always looking but was only there for service and left. He traced me off my service record and I was averaging two phone calls a week from this nut.
        Dan
        Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
        Claudia V. III
        1988 - 3218
        Gas Drives

Comment

I deal with interstate shipping daily with my career and have for 20+ years. Someone knows where your truck is at. The dealer either isn't asking or won't tell you what they know.

Also, a couple of days over can be a non issue.

'In Convoy' normally means the item is being shipped by motor freight... ie a Semi truck. (as opposed to by rail)

Hope your truck come in soon and looks GREAT!

By the way, my dad ordered a Subaru Forester in January. It was made in Japan and shipped to him. It arrived 3 weeks later than they suggested when he ordered it. Although, it did arrive in mid-March. All the dealer could say was it was on a ship coming across the Pacific.
          1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
          S. Puget Sound

Comment

I don' think they can keep your Deposit. If the truck come in and you are not happy with it they can not make you buy it or keep your deposit. Also same with the financing. If you are unable to finance it or the rate is unacceptable they can not keep your deposit.
            2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
            Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
            Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
            Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
            1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

I feel the pain, but honestly if you were waiting on your "custom" boat and it took than expected would you out the plug? Obviously you have a one of kind truck for the dealer not being to locate one for.....especially an f-150. It's not like you ordered a special Raptor. I do know this as my wife works for ford here Michigan and we get to take advantage of the management lease vehicles....We both ordered a new 2017 Lincoln Continental in May of 2016. We were told that We would receive them I n November which is why we both ordered and drove 2016 Mustang GT convertibles for the summer. Long story short, I had to drive the mustang thru the winter, my wife got into a Flex for a couple months....her Continental was just built last week...she still does not have it, I cancelled mine altogether and ordered another 2017 Mustang GT Convertible and should have it by May 1. Needless to say it is frustrating and I have asked that question many times why can't Ford know exactly where the car is? Someone, somewhere has a Bill of Lading for that truck and car based on VIN. As mentioned, ask dealer for VIN number....he can get that if the truck has in fact be built. If not I would think that you can get your deposit back no problem...enough is enough.

I have also had vehicles that I have ordered on our program, that were built as I had both build date and vin, that were actually "stuck" ina holding lot because they had to walk thru each vehicle and fix some sort of quality flagged issue. I also had another one that was sitting in a rail yard in Chicago for 24-days before it made onto a rail car.

All that being said, I receive an email from ford approximately 30 days before my scheduled build date that basically says that my vehicle is scheduled to be built the week of________. Then another telling me the "actual" build date. This may be some sort of Executive Special service as the Admiral is an exec there, but I would think that a deal could find out this info as well. Certainly they could contact their zone rep and he could make some calls....

Summer buggies....

Lake Hartwell, GA
              2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
              1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
              1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
              1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
              1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
              1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
              1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
              1996 SeaDoo GTX
              1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

"Waterdowg" post=801306 wrote:
                I don' think they can keep your Deposit. If the truck come in and you are not happy with it they can not make you buy it or keep your deposit. Also same with the financing. If you are unable to finance it or the rate is unacceptable they can not keep your deposit.
                Actually they can. You have made a deposit on a custom ordered vehicle. Nope they can't make you buy it but your deposit is forfeit on the vehicle you special ordered

When we special ordered our current truck we got text updates, when the frame hit the line, when it was painted, assembled, etc. When it showed up there was a custom ordered Hellcat on the floor. The dealers page even said Special ordered for Joe Blow. The dealer said he paid the 500 deposit, made the order then refused to buy it, They have a custom built Hellcat and are already 500 in the good on it (it sold the next day)

Ours did come in a week "late" as the dates range given is an estimate (they can't predict storms, road construction, Driver got sick etc.)
                Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Comment

Sorry to be repetetive, but asking for the VIN is the BS detector. If the truck was built, they have a VIN. If not, or if the dealer is blowing smoke, then you won't get a VIN and that's your clue to get your deposit back.
                  Matt Train
                  BOC Site Team
                  Chicagoland, IL

Comment

This type of an issue is not unique to Ford. A couple of years ago I had ordered a Mercedes S550, paid the deposit but the rest of the paperwork wasn't completed. The senior salesman said the car was at a different dealer and they had shipped it. So, I went to their finance department to complete the rest of the paperwork. In the process I discovered the car they said was in transit was a different color. They called, searched and said someone had made a mistake and the original car was not available any more. I asked for the specific mistake that was made; did my salesman order to wrong car, did their salesperson entered the wrong data, was the issue with the carrier, ... whatever. I insisted on receiving an answer to this question. They did not provide an answer. In the end they said "we don not think we can provide service to you"!!! I got my money back and bought the car at a different dealer.

I think they make a "commitment" (NOT!) on a car and tie you to them, off the market, then they try to find that car for you. When they can't they create all kinds of creative lies.

VIN number is the best way. Even if they provide a VIN number have them check in the database that a truct with that VIN number is the same truck that you ordered.

You should be able to get your money back, no problem.

Good luck.
                    Retired, computer expert / executive
                    Bayliner 285 Cruiser / Mercruiser QSD 4.2L 320 HP Diesel
                    Live in the Bay Area, CA, USA, boat in Turkey
                    D-Marin @ Turgutreis in Bodrum/Turkey
                    [email protected]
                    [email protected]

Comment

When my wife worked for GM (Hughes Aircraft) we ordered a few vehicles through dealers. We always got a confirmation of build start, shipping, and arrival at the dealer. The dealer told me that this was done for all special orders, not just those for GM employees.
                      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                      Anacortes, WA

Comment

"Alaskanmutt" post=801311 wrote:
                        "Waterdowg" post=801306 wrote:
                        Actually they can. You have made a deposit on a custom ordered vehicle. Nope they can't make you buy it but your deposit is forfeit on the vehicle you special ordered

When we special ordered our current truck we got text updates, when the frame hit the line, when it was painted, assembled, etc. When it showed up there was a custom ordered Hellcat on the floor. The dealers page even said Special ordered for Joe Blow. The dealer said he paid the 500 deposit, made the order then refused to buy it, They have a custom built Hellcat and are already 500 in the good on it (it sold the next day)

Ours did come in a week "late" as the dates range given is an estimate (they can't predict storms, road construction, Driver got sick etc.)
                        Unless it's a state thing, but in NJ they don't I have order most of my cars and all deposits were fundable. I asked each and every time. My Brother has worked for many dealers and they all give refunds. I can't image all the dealers being nice.
                        2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
                        Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP MPI Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
                        Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

Sold 1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
                        Evinrude 88 Special

Restoring 1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
                        1992 Johnson 40HP

40°55'22.9"N 74°39'11.9"W

Comment

Getting a delivery date on a special order vehicle is not a firm date. Things happen.

One example is a Corvette I ordered when working for GM. It was a 1984 model and came out early in 1983. There were no 1983 model Corvette. So this was a hot item at the time and a 6 month wait was about normal.

I used contact I had at Chevrolet to get mine built almost immediately.

Well there was a 2 week delay because the bumper paint didn't match the rest of the car.

I cannot imagine a few days delay would trigger a cancellation of the vehicle.

Do what Matt says. Get the Vin number.

And don't believe any dealer. They lie.

Doug
                          Started boating 1955
                          Number of boats owned 32
                          Bayliners
                          3870 presently owned
                          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

I appreciate you last sentence. I have to go new car shopping this morning and a order has to be made. If he doesn't offer us much on the 2014 I'm going to look him in the eyes and say Doug says your a liar.
                            Dan
                            Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
                            Claudia V. III
                            1988 - 3218
                            Gas Drives

Comment

Ford runs their production based on vehicle configurations. So if they are currently running standard cab trucks and you ordered a crew cab then you'll have to wait until they are running crew cabs. The VIN is assigned when the order is scheduled for production so if you have a VIN then your truck is somewhere in the production process. If you don't then there is a problem. When I ordered my truck I actually received it about a month early.

Comment

Working...
                              X