Shift Cable Alignment Tool-gctid358069

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift Cable Alignment Tool-gctid358069

I'm going to install a new lower shift cable on my cobra drive while I'm replacing a tilt pressure line. Does the shift cable alignment tool save enough time to be worthwhile? I know you can do it without it. I'm just trying to justify the cost vs. time.

The tool is available for $75 made by GLM. Also is an aftermarket cable ok or is OEM the way to go on this part?

Thanks,

Greg

Give this a read: Print it out and read and reread it.

http://www.hastings.org/%7Estuart/cobra/kw-shift.html
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Thanks chief. I will read and reread. I still may post a question or two before performing.

Greg

Comment

I have the jig that holds the shift bellcrank perpendicular on the gimbal if you'd like to borrow it. For measuring length on the engine side I have always used a ruler and it's worked out fine. Let me know if you want it.

Tony

Comment

Hi Tony,

That's very nice. Thank you. I'd like to take you up on your offer.

How can I send you money to ship it? Do you have paypal?

Greg

Comment

Tony,

I just realized we have nearly the same boat. I have a 1989 2655. Not sure the difference but i'm guessing they look very similar.

Greg

Comment

OK while i'm in doing the cable, I'm gonna do the gimble bearing, bellows, etc. Should I go oem on the parts or are the aftermarket ones ok? I see them branded under GLM & Sierra as well as others.

Second, I'm trying to take the pivot housing off. How much torque can I put on the allen bolts that secure them? Are they big or small? I really don't want to snap one off.

Thanks,

Greg

Comment

Go with Sierra. Heat them first a little.
                Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Ultimately this adjustment is to center the Dog Clutch sliding sleeve equally between the FWD and REV gears on the prop shaft when in neutral.

This is done with the drive down so we're not fighting gravity against the weight of this dog clutch sleeve.

Once this neutral position is found, the other adjustments can be made.

The OEM cable adjustment tool is to get you close, as apparently there is some discretion between cable lengths occasionally.

There is an alternate adjustment method that you won't see in any OEM manual, or in any Stuart Hastings information.

This method works very well for both OMC Cobras and Merc Alpha drives.

I had ear marked these threads but they are now unavailable.

I now get this message: No Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

One of the last ones posted was for member Greg (aka tgripple) March 2009.

I wish that I had copied it.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks Alan & Rick for your responses.

Alan: I picked up parts today. I was able to get the transom repair kit aftermarket for $99 but the cable I could only get oem. $145 ouch. I will try heat on those bolts.

Rick: I actually read the post that you had written. Thanks. It was a good explanation. I don't have the outdrive on so I may wait till I do to try your method.

I'm looking forward to a smooth shifting Cobra.

Comment

wefivehodges wrote:
                      Thanks Alan & Rick for your responses.

Rick: I actually read the post that you had written. Thanks. It was a good explanation.
                      Greg, you are welcome.

If/when you were to try that method, please post back and let us know what your thoughts were.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                      X