Clear All

• dmax2
    replied
    No Problem, again thanks for the help and suggestions. Dave

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    CPSS wrote:
    Years ago, I think it was 6-7 rears ago, I took the advice of many on here, and bought 4 new 6v golf cart batteries from Sam's Club, wired 2 pairs in series, then these 2 pairs in parallel. I've been using that as my house bank and one engine starting bank since then. Other than adding a little distilled water once or twice a year, they have worked great.
    Yep. The Amp Hours required to crank and fire an engine is surprisely low. Heavy, but the duration is very short.

dmax2 wrote:
    Just one 27 or 31 and go from there.
    My bad!

I thought that you were originally going with two separate house banks... meaning that you already had two like size/age/group, etc, Deep Cycle batteries that could now be brought into the same bank.

Leave a comment:

• dmax2
    replied
    Just one 27 or 31 and go from there.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Years ago, I think it was 6-7 rears ago, I took the advice of many on here, and bought 4 new 6v golf cart batteries from Sam's Club, wired 2 pairs in series, then these 2 pairs in parallel. I've been using that as my house bank and one engine starting bank since then. Other than adding a little distilled water once or twice a year, they have worked great.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    dmax2 wrote:
    Understand the old & new battery setup. Going with 1 house and will see what happens.
    As in "one house bank" that's made up with two like batteries?

Leave a comment:

• dmax2
    replied
    Understand the old & new battery setup. Going with 1 house and will see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Correct!

The fellow who distributes batteries should have mentioned that.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    leedub wrote:
    Just wire your 2 house batteries in parallel and bingo... 1 big house battery. Then wire your switch and charger for the 2 banks. No need to separate the house batteries...
    Be a little careful here. They should be the same type, size and age if you are going to parallel them. A new battery with an old battery should not be connected together.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Read the data carefully. Some chargers that advertise 20 amp 10/10 2, are actually only 10 amp per bank. 10 amps is not very much.

Leave a comment:

• dmax2
    replied
    Just talked to a fellow who distributes batteries in my area. He said do a large house or parrallel 2. You are right Rick to use a 2 bank charger. Taking 3 bank back today and going with a 20 amp 10/10 2 stage. Thanks,Dave

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Dave, one of us can explain the Amp Hour capacity issue (2 separate banks -vs- 1 large bank) if need be.

But both you and you House Bank will be much happier if you group the two together (making one larger bank), and then use a 2 bank charger.

Leave a comment:

• dmax2
    replied
    That was what I was going to do. Maybe I didn't explain it well. Still deciding.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Just wire your 2 house batteries in parallel and bingo... 1 big house battery. Then wire your switch and charger for the 2 banks. No need to separate the house batteries...

Leave a comment:

• dmax2
    replied
    I understand now what you are saying on a larger house battery. Wish I had my 28 or 32 Bay back. I think I'll go that way. Thanks again, Dave

Leave a comment:

• fishaman
    replied
    dmax2 wrote:
    Thanks fishaman, How did or where did you run the power to the charger?
    Originally, I did not have the shorepower on my boat. So, before the charger, I have installed the receptacle, and a 125 v panel with breakers for fridge, stove, outlets, etc. One of the circuits is used only for charger, I run the wire along the port side to the lazarette, and connect the charger to batteries via MBSS the way Rick says.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X