• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Astral Blue wrote:
    :spam
    Yep, probably the same schmuck who has been posting under the name http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu...> perfectmachi in several threads today. rod

Where did our "Flag Thread" icon go????

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    :spam

Leave a comment:

• bocadmin
    replied
    "Canara Electrical Engineers Offering, Diesel generator for rent, Generator for hire, Dg sets for hire, Dg sets for rent, Generator on hire, Mobile generator hire and Welding generator for hire in Bangalore, India."

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Scary wrote:
    Tiffany Hulse

Drake Controls West

7050 Village Dr

Suite A

Buena Park, CA 90621

909-599-9000 PH

714-562-1077 fax

http://www.drakecontrols.com/Home/Index They have a large range of diesel controls, If you call them they were very helpful. I replaced a part for my 35 year onan with a comparable solenoid that Cummins wanted $480 plus $80 shipping for $124. Item # 1500-2027 Solenoid-12D6u2b2s2a. I called them described the part and the sales person knew what I needed. I asked for a catalog and was told they didn't have one. They did Email me a picture of the part. My solenoid needed to complete it's full range of motion or it would burn up. So it would be helpful to know how far you want it to travel. A lot of these solenoids have a third wire and are set up to be shut down by oil pressure and temp alarms. Something you might want to consider. There is a Buena Park Number as well.
    Thanks a million, Steve! I ordered the solenoid from Drake Controls. It is EXACTLY what I need and at a fraction of the price of the Perkins part from Trans Atlantic Diesel.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Tiffany Hulse

Drake Controls West

7050 Village Dr

Suite A

Buena Park, CA 90621

909-599-9000 PH

714-562-1077 fax

http://www.drakecontrols.com/Home/Index They have a large range of diesel controls, If you call them they were very helpful. I replaced a part for my 35 year onan with a comparable solenoid that Cummins wanted $480 plus $80 shipping for $124. Item # 1500-2027 Solenoid-12D6u2b2s2a. I called them described the part and the sales person knew what I needed. I asked for a catalog and was told they didn't have one. They did Email me a picture of the part. My solenoid needed to complete it's full range of motion or it would burn up. So it would be helpful to know how far you want it to travel. A lot of these solenoids have a third wire and are set up to be shut down by oil pressure and temp alarms. Something you might want to consider. There is a Buena Park Number as well.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Scary wrote:
    Another source is Drake Control PART NUMBER 1502 12 6DU2B2S2A about $124 plus shipping.
    Hi Steve... I tried to look for this part number through Drake's site and using a Google search and came up with zero results. Can you provide a link to the parts store or distributor? Thanks in advance...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Another source is Drake Control PART NUMBER 1502 12 6DU2B2S2A about $124 plus shipping.

Leave a comment:

• SomeSailor
    replied
    Astral Blue wrote:
    The original design of this engine used a manual pull cable. A solenoid was designed into the later versions of this engine, after some modifications to allow it to be mounted. My engine's build is designed for the manual cable.
    As was mine. (1980 Ford Lehman) It's a pretty popular retrofit too. Easy to install and not complicated.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    Sheesh.... purchase a Universal Stop/Start Fuel Rack Control Solenoid, make the modifications necessary, connect it up and be done.

I believe that this one is a Universal Stop/Start Fuel Rack Control Solenoid that can be purchased through Woodward

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    SomeSailor wrote:
    Why not just buy the solenoid that the original engine would use, wire it up and be done with it. It's really quite simple. I'm gonna check mine this afternoon and see if it fails "on" or fails "off".
    The original design of this engine used a manual pull cable. A solenoid was designed into the later versions of this engine, after some modifications to allow it to be mounted. My engine's build is designed for the manual cable.

Leave a comment:

• SomeSailor
    replied
    Why not just buy the solenoid that the original engine would use, wire it up and be done with it. It's really quite simple. I'm gonna check mine this afternoon and see if it fails "on" or fails "off".

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I just replaced the fuel solenoid on my 35 year old Onan generator. That particular solenoid cost about $125 and pushed out ward when activated about 3". I think you could easily mount a bracket on the motor with a short piece of rod linkage to handle your shut down problem. This is a common system on many Diesels and very reliable. Why make it a complicated problem? Detroit, Westerbeke, Cummins, International, Cat, Onan, Ford Lemam. all use similar systems.

Leave a comment:

• ksanders
    replied
    Astral Blue wrote:
    I just spoke with a marine mechanic who has an extensive amount of experience with this particular engine. He is the one who sold it to me and has been working on the Perkins 4.108 for 20+ years and is very familiar with it. According to him, an in-line fuel shut of solenoid is not a viable option. With how the injector pump on the Perkins 4.108 is designed, an in-line fuel shut off would deplete the fuel inside the injector pump and cause it to take on air. Starting the engine would be troublesome because it would require a bleeding of the pump. Additionally, the injector pump is not designed to be run without fuel in it; and doing so would result in undue wear.

Kevin's advice for the in-line solenoid is much appreciated and applicable to many other Diesel engines, but the design of the injector pump on the Perkins 4.108 does not lend itself to using such a kill method. Cummins, Universal (Kubota) and most Volvo-Penta injector pumps can take it...but the Perkins is a different monster in itself.
    Well, we learn something new every day. I have never heard of that, but in all honesty I've not worked on a 4.108 before. That is a strange one. Very odd.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I just spoke with a marine mechanic who has an extensive amount of experience with this particular engine. He is the one who sold it to me and has been working on the Perkins 4.108 for 20+ years and is very familiar with it. According to him, an in-line fuel shut of solenoid is not a viable option. With how the injector pump on the Perkins 4.108 is designed, an in-line fuel shut off would deplete the fuel inside the injector pump and cause it to take on air. Starting the engine would be troublesome because it would require a bleeding of the pump. Additionally, the injector pump is not designed to be run without fuel in it; and doing so would result in undue wear.

Kevin's advice for the in-line solenoid is much appreciated and applicable to many other Diesel engines, but the design of the injector pump on the Perkins 4.108 does not lend itself to using such a kill method. Cummins, Universal (Kubota) and most Volvo-Penta injector pumps can take it...but the Perkins is a different monster in itself.

Leave a comment:

• smitty477
    replied
    Hi Kevin,

"While that advice is interesting, IE having the failure mode leaving the engine running, that is just not how modern diesel engines operate. Every modern diesel engine fails to the shutdown state. Every single one. Remove power from the injection pump or the fuel solenoid on a modern diesel and it turns off."

I am sure that you are correct but I am out of state for a couple of weeks and not near any of the diagrams we have at home. When we had failures in the fuel soleniods on the EH700 engines (Hino 175 & 220 hp) I remember that we would need to go down and manually 'push' the fuel link in to shut the engine down. I remember that too well cause I ended up doing it more then a couple of times for Ron during one cruise. The correct 'repair' ended up being a poor groud wire to the soleniod which when improved upon allowed the shutdown to work as 'normal'.

Thanks for the heads up and information.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X