Nissan motor !-gctid357495

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nissan motor !-gctid357495

Ok i need help, never easy for me to ask.Some background..... My brother has a sailboat he also has a Nissan 5 hp 98' short shaft, it sits on a 1974 Cape dory Typhoon weekender. He is currently in Delray beach Florida at my condo. Below is the mount.The prop needs to be about 5 inch's further down into the water.Is there a extension kit for the shaft ? Or is there anyone with a idea how to get the motor 5 inch's or more further down into the water.He does not was to drill into the transom or alter in anyway his beloved sail boat.I will be leaving NJ on the 17th and flying down to help find a solution and spend a week there, my 86 year old mother and my sister will be leaving the same day and arriving at the airport a hour latter then me.My wifey is simply thrilled i am leaving her home with the kids and frolicking in Florida.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/660428=25093-19-1.jpg[/img]
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Proper answer is to buy the longer bottom end $$$$ but you could probably cheat by removing the wood adding two longer angle brackets and remounting the same wood about 5 or so inches lower - going to change the torque and make the controls more out of reach (maybe even dangerously out of reach) but temporary ? might work

Comment

My thoughts exactly and i looked up a couple of tiller extensions for the motor.

Thank you.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

While he may not want to drill into his boat I dont see much of an option other than getting a longshaft outboard. An adjustable mount is the best as you can lift the motor out of the water while under sail. Depending on his rudder he can also use an EZ Steer bar to connect the motor to the rudder and use his tiller only while motoring. This was the setup I had on my 25 foot Catalina and it worked great. You could spin that boat on a dime

Comment

I needed a longer lower housing for a Honda I bought, searched the web and stumbled on a shop in Florida that had what I needed for a great price.

I'll see if I still have his contact info, if so you may get lucky too.
          " WET EVER "
          1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
          mmsi 338108404
          mmsi 338124956
          "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

Chief:

PM Sent
            " WET EVER "
            1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
            mmsi 338108404
            mmsi 338124956