Marvel mystery oil-gctid357228

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marvel mystery oil-gctid357228

When I was little my Father used Marvel mystery oil in all his engines. As it still for sale and they claim it will help your engine was wondering if anyone has used it in their gas and what you think of it? They also say to put it in your oil, even the new oil blends. Thanks Craig

I use it mixed with gasoline and keep it in a chemical squeeze bottle for use in carburetors.

I do not use it for anything else.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

About 15 years ago there was an article in Boating magazine from one of the boating gurus about using Marvel's mystery oil for fogging. They swear by the stuff! So do I!

I use it to fog the engines every season. I have used it on my 2150, my 2655 and now on my Maxum 3000 with twin 5.0l carbs with great results.

I have never had any issues whatsoever. I know a lot of people here think it is snake oil but it is used by a lot of boaters with great results.

That IMHO of course.........

Roger
      2001 Maxum 3000 SCR
      Twin 5.0L w/ Bravo 2

Comment

Roger, I tend to agree....., I don't think that these are "snake oils" any more than other oils are.

I think that it's the claims that some of these companies make that puts them in the snake oil category. :livid:

BTW, if you use the chemical squeeze bottles as I do, be sure to put a vent hole in the cap.

Temperature expansion will push the liquid up and out the bent tube if the cap is not vented.

When you use the bottle, you place one finger over the vent hole and squeeze.

Works perfectly for getting into the small carburetor bowl vent openings.

These are also perfect for priming an engine with fuel.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

It may be psychosomatic but I sware by the stuff.

I have a 1959 MGA that in 1988 was parked, Marvel was injected into each cylinder. In 1997 I rebuilt the carbs, shot MMO into each cylinder and she turned right over.

I use it in all my 2 cycle gas/oil mixture and use it in my Jet Ski's.

I am convinced that is what saved my XP's engine for as long as it did. I developed what I now know was a leak in one of the feed lines for the direct oil injection system. I believe it was leaking for the entire 2010 season as I had a small amount of oil sheen every time I cleaned the bilge out but assumed it was just residual as I could not see a damaged line...it was hidden by one of the carbs. The one time I do not have any MMO and do not mix it in when filling up, bam, a dead cylinder.
          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
          1998 3055 Ciera
          (yes, a 1998)
          Previous boat: 1993 3055
          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
          Sea Doo XP
          Sea Doo GTI SE
          Life is short. Boats are cool.
          The family that plays together stays together.
          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
            It may be psychosomatic but ...................
            Phil, I'd be glad to share the name of my psychiatrist with you.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Irving wrote:
              When I was little my Father used Marvel mystery oil in all his engines. As it still for sale and they claim it will help your engine was wondering if anyone has used it in their gas and what you think of it? They also say to put it in your oil, even the new oil blends. Thanks Craig
              I was just wondering the same thing a few days ago and was going to post this very same question. I love the stuff, especially when I was working on my air-cooled VW engines.

Comment

I'd say it depends on what you expect it to do for you. I don't think it can do any harm, but I doubt that it's any better than any number of other similar products.

The manufacturer claims that it will do all kinds of wonderful things, including freeing up stuck piston rings. I have a '91 Chev Sprint that I bought used. High mileage city car. It had good compression but almost burned more oil than gas. I tried all the tricks including Mystery oil. No joy. I ended up doing an in frame. There was very little wear on the bores and pistons, but the oil control rings were gummed up from city driving and lack of service. A set of rings and de-glazeing of the bores was the cure.

In this case at least, the product didn't live up to the claim, but it smells nice.

Comment

RJH wrote:
                  In this case at least, the product didn't live up to the claim, but it smells nice.
                  Well, what more can you ask for, Robert?
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I like the fact that when I started the boat up for the first time in the spring the cloud of smoke would kill a bunch of mosquitos..........

Protecting other boaters from the environment.......I don't think it claims that? :-)

Roger
                    2001 Maxum 3000 SCR
                    Twin 5.0L w/ Bravo 2

Comment

Mint scented automatic transmission fluid.
                      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

IMO - you must have a specific reason for using products and then a sound reason for choosing the products which you select to use.

Marvel is a more higly refined light oil very suitable as a cleaner, or heavy solvent, or as a sludge eliminator and as such we use is very similar to how Rick has described.

Is really tends to break up and prevent residue from gas and diesel breakdown over time in mostly enclosed spaces.

Not a product I would select for any longer term storage.

Perhaps try this test if you like:

- Take MMO and any decent grade fogging oil and put them in 2 small dixie cups about 1/2 inch deep each.

- Take two pieces of the exact same clean steel (we used surface ground 1/2 X 2 X 3" pieces) and place in the cups

- Leave for half hour or so and see which one 'climbs' up the steel the furthest

- Then take each one and place them outside your house next to one another on a flat clean piece of anything (we used a brick)

Watch what happens in the next 8 hours, 1 day, 2 days, and a week.

Hope this helps
                        Northport NY

Comment

Marvel Mystery Oil is a light viscosity oil, roughly equivalent to an SAE 3W, containing (among other things) about 20 percent solvent (mostly mineral spirits), dye, wintergreen for smell, and 790 PPM of a phosphorous additive. Do a google search, there are MSDS on line.

Its not much of a mystery, just a very light oil, some solvents, red dye, and wintergreen.

Comment

smitty477 wrote:
                            IMO - you must have a specific reason for using products and then a sound reason for choosing the products which you select to use.

Marvel is a more higly refined light oil very suitable as a cleaner, or heavy solvent, or as a sludge eliminator and as such we use is very similar to how Rick has described.

Is really tends to break up and prevent residue from gas and diesel breakdown over time in mostly enclosed spaces.

Not a product I would select for any longer term storage.

Perhaps try this test if you like:

- Take MMO and any decent grade fogging oil and put them in 2 small dixie cups about 1/2 inch deep each.

- Take two pieces of the exact same clean steel (we used surface ground 1/2 X 2 X 3" pieces) and place in the cups

- Leave for half hour or so and see which one 'climbs' up the steel the furthest

- Then take each one and place them outside your house next to one another on a flat clean piece of anything (we used a brick)

Watch what happens in the next 8 hours, 1 day, 2 days, and a week.

Hope this helps
                            Perhaps you will just tell us what happened in the test you performed?nthego:

Comment

Can you drink it ? I have a can in my garage must be one of the very first they made. My father had it in his garage for who knows how long. Never opened.

I look at it and my friends and i talk about it but i never got around to opening it. Neither did my father.
                              Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                              X