EZ Steer Question-gctid357045

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EZ Steer Question-gctid357045

I am in the process of installing a kicker on my 2355 and in my research for methods of steering found the EZ Steer that would attach a bar between my kicker and the steerdrive, looked like the way to go as it's not too expensive. I have a question and that is what is steering like when the main motor is off and therfore no hydrolic steering assistance? Any thoughts?

Mike
    1997 2355
    5.7 liter Alpha 1 Gen 2

Ladysmith Vancouver Island

I have the same setup on my 2452, the steering does get stiff with no assist but is managable, a non issue for me...i actually dont even notice it after a 15 minutes int trolling...I am also not a big guy 5'7" 145lbs

Comment

Hydraulic steering works even with the motor off......power steering makes it a little stiffer to steer but still works...... DO NOT ....I REPEAT DO NOT adjust the set screws on your easy steer arm they are factory set and should not be adjusted.

Comment

Try"make believe" steering your boat constantly while at the dock with motor off. Thats what itll be like more or less. Itll actually be a tad stiffer due to outboard and ez steer resistance but the above test will give you a good idea. I dont like working that hard steering. I converted to hydraulic and am happy. gives you the option of a second station also.

Comment

I have used EZ steers for years ; they can be as slick as oil or a giant PITA. It all depends on how you install and maintain it. It is very important to measure the center mark of your outdrive to the center mark of your kicker to get the EZ Steer recommended rod length for whichever drive and kicker combo you've got going. Yes you will have to adjust your detent tension periodically because they do wear down and the steering rod will become sloppy. I change my detent pins and springs every year, they now sell them in replacement kits. Depending on what kind of water condition you are in will determine the life of your detents. Last year was windy and rough water and I had to tighten the pins a couple of times a week and then finally had to replace the pin because even tightened in all the way the rod would not hold position. It WILL need to be reset every so often. Just remember when you install the quick connector on your kicker keep it off center towards your main drive this will allow a complete turn when going to the port side. I also use 200lb mono line cripped and attached to both rods to be on the safe side. If they happen to seperate and come off a quick connector you won't be sending one down to Davey Jones locker. Used right they work well, even when your motor is not running. If running in salt I recommende regulary pulling the set screws, springs and detents out just to clean the cylinder inside or someday you won't ever get that stuff out without damage.

Good luck.

You will probably want to set the detent to the proper resistance that works for you. If you are going to be lifting and lowering your kicker often you may set it a little looser but rember too loose and the wind can make you lose steering because your kicker motor wanders. Too tight and it might be to difficult to lift for traveling. Just remember the first time you lift it and you have a swimgrid; lift it slowly to make sure it doesn't contact the swimgrid and get bent. Once bent "badly" they are useless.

Comment

I've considered that and other systems for the past few years. I've a slightly smaller boat, and usually enjoy sitting on my transom mounted seat (removable) when I' trolling. It puts me in a great position to control the boat, and be right on top of the rods and downriggers (should I find bottom when not expecting it). The downside is that in really snotty weather, sitting back there can be a chore, as well as a tad uncomfortable after 6 hours or so. I've considered the ez steer, but the downside for me is not being able to control the helm if I have to back down on a fish, and/or make a sudden turn while playing a fish. This is a problem no matter what system you have other than direct controls. I did use a friend's remote on a 29' Grady, and must admit that sitting in a swival captains chair, under cover, certainly had it's advantages over my setup, but I wouldn't change my fuel economy over his for any setup!
            Bob Hawes.
            Kelowna, B.C.
            1998 Trophy 2052 WA
            4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

Comment

There is always the Baystar hydraulic system which I installed with 2 helm pumps, one on the transom when the weather is nice and one at the helm when it gets snotty!

Comment

Just had an ez steer installed: omc cobra to 2 stroke 9.9 off the factory swim mount. Question for y'all who run the ez steer: when the kicker is lifted it will "fall" to one side (towards the i/o). Thus, when lowering the kicker the i/o and kicker are not aligned in tandem unless the person dropping the kicker makes the right drop in light of the i/o position.

Is this normal? If not how do I correct it?

Sorry to tag on the tread but there,s some good experience in here.

Jarrett

Comment

Yes this is normal, it is obviously going to change the distance from rod end to end when lifting your kicker. It usually wants more length from your rod so that is why the kicker tends to lean over to your outdrive from the pulling apart of your EZ Steer rod.. This is why your tension adjustment on your detents can be different; to allow for easier lifting to gain that extra rod length required. I try to have my main drive going straight when I drop my kicker this way it is usually a slight shove on the kicker to re-align. Once you get habituated then it just comes naturally.

Comment

Thanks trophy troubles, I think a knob on the wheel will help ensure the i/o is centered when dropping the kicker and will help with turning the rotary steering when power assist is off and kicker is in use.

Comment

On an '03 2359 Trophy I had issues clearing the 3/4 grid when tilting the kicker to clear the water. After awhile we broke the original Alpha 1 bracket end at the weld. My guess - after much flexing. After we lost steering the entire rod and broken bracket were dragging through the water, held only by the QC fitting at the auxillary.

Had that come undone it should have been saved by the lanyard I attached to both pieces of the connecting rod. My guess is that it will only come undone if you have no safety lanyard .... aka Murphies law.

The instructions on the replacement bracket says to mount the bracket upside down if required for more grid clearance. I would never have done that without reading it from the manufacturer. With new bracket installed 'upside down' we now have lots of clearance for the grid.

I plan to remove the (T4) electric steering that is installed. I much prefer the EZ Steer, although it was fast to reinsert the electric's link to resume fishing when the EZ broke. Connecting both motors seems to make the 2359 stay ontrack easier if any wind or chop comes up. According to the Admiral make that MUCH easier and thats with engine off with PS.
                      2003 Trophy Pro 2359; Rebuilt 5.7L Vortec longblock (crate) using rest of the previous owners freeze destroyed 5.0L. Now fully FWC Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive.

Comment

Ditto on that the alpha drive does at least half the steering even when main eng turned off. I tried fishing my 2359 with aux not connected to alpha, was not impressed with turning ability.If youre interested in being creative and saving some money and getting(IMO) a superior result I can walk you thru a system I built last year for my 2359 that does everything an ez does without the bar.Cost was about $20. I put it in Completed Projects . You do need a 1/4 inch hole(high up) in the transom the way I did it although this could be substituted with a cable .

Comment

Can you post a link to that? I tried searching in the Projects folder but came up empty.

Thanks,

Dutch

Comment

Couldnt seem to save link. Go to pg 9 of completed projects, posting date was May 31 2011.

T1

Comment

On my boat I stiffened the steering on my kicker and it just faces straight and then use the main engine as the steering. Works fine. Just an idea for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X