cruising range req-gctid470713

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cruising range req-gctid470713

Can any one give me the approx cruising range for a 1989 ciera sun bridge 2455 5.8 cruising at approx rpms say . 2500. 3000 3500 as I am a new owner thank you

Winters here at the moment so cruising an fishing slow in new Zealand

kiwi55 wrote:
    Can any one give me the approx cruising range for a 1989 ciera sun bridge 2455 5.8 cruising at approx rpms say . 2500. 3000 3500 as I am a new owner thank you

Winters here at the moment so cruising an fishing slow in new Zealand
    There are way too many variables to give a safe range estimate. Currents, winds, load, stop and go, wakeboarding, engine condition, etc.

Your best bet to figure out your miles per gallon is to fill the tank completely, cruise how you will normally cruise and track distance traveled by GPS, then top off the tank when you get in. Divide the distance traveled by the gallons used and you have your miles per gallon at the RPM's and speeds you cruise at. Multiply the miles per gallon by the number of gallons you hold and that gives you maximum range. Divide that by 3 and that is how far you can safely go frome starting point.

Example. You travel 40 miles. You top off and it takes 10 galloons. 40 divided by 10 is 4 so you got 4 miles per gallon. If you have a 30 gallon tank you then multiply 4 miles per gallon times 30 which gives you a maximum range of 120 miles. General rule of thumb is to divide that by 3 (for round trips where you come back to where you start) so 120 miles divided by 3 is 40. 1/3 fuel to head out, 1/3 to get back, and 1/3 safety.

Comment

Yes, welcome aboard the BOC.

kiwi55 wrote:
      I do not know how well your boat/engine/drive all perform, but generally speaking, 2,500 RPM is not going to plane this hull...... in fact, 3,000 RPM may not plane this hull..... but again, I don't know for certain.

But if I'm correct, this would be one of your worst cruising RPM ranges, and an RPM range to avoid.

Find an RPM range that gets the hull out of the water (planing), and "then some".

The "then some" is going to help you greatly.

Make sure that your engine can reach the OEM recommended WOT RPM range.

Since you are a new owner, this means that by reaching the WOT RPM successfully, your engine will be in full tune, you will be propped correctly, and most likely your drive ratio is correct.

If you cannot reach WOT RPM, you'll want to investigate, and correct this prior to using the boat.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

About 100 miles one way.
        2007 Discovery 246
        300mpi BIII
        Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Working...