shift cables on 3988 bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shift cables on 3988 bridge

One of the shift cables on the bridge of our 97 3988 broke while in tight quarters, darn near ran through a couple of boathouses before I could launch down to the lower helm to take it out of gear. Don't want to do that again!

The threaded end broke off where it meets the connector to the gear lever. I called Fisheries Supply here in Seattle and they need information off the cable (I thought they might be able to cross reference off the make/model/year.

I'd appreciate any insight on replacing the cable. I assume the bridge controls hook up at the lower helm control, is that accurate? I was a bit surprised that the all thread type end broke off as they didn't seem too sticky, is that to be expected? I didn't inspect the entire cable run however I don't think there's any tight bends but I suppose I'll find that out when I go to replace it. Are there better replacement cables than others? Any tricks other than snaking the new cable behind the old one? Should I replace the other shift cable since this one failed. Thanks to all for any insight you can provide.

David

Dave

I'd be thinking JB or duct tape. You can get the best tape here...

http://ducttapefashion.com/

If you get the black, you can use the leftovers for a wallet,cap or something.

toni

Comment

Toni,

Thanks for the pity... I snaked one of the cables out and I'm headed to Fisheries tomorrow. We'll see how it goes.

Still looking into that rental business we have been talking about.

d

Comment

You only need the numbers near the end of the cable, you should have left the cable in so that you can use it to pull the other in place.

The numbers are usually in inches, red cable is Morse, and black should be teleflex, either will work, buy the good ones if you have a choice, I prefer Morse 33 supreme cables.

Inspect your other cables.
        Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
        Twin 350 GM power
        Located in Seward, AK
        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
          You only need the numbers near the end of the cable, you should have left the cable in so that you can use it to pull the other in place. The numbers are usually in inches, red cable is Morse, and black should be teleflex, either will work, buy the good ones if you have a choice, I prefer Morse 33 supreme cables. Inspect your other cables.
          Ditto on all accounts!

Also, when you install the new cable, place the end with the "code" near the area where it will be most accessible for future.
          Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks Boatworkfl and 2850, I really appreciate the insight...

I decided to replace the other 3 cables at the same time as at least one of them is a little sticky so I'll use (hopefully) the other cable(s) to pull the new ones through.

I'm still wondering if the reason for the all thread end breaking is the expected wear and tear or if that's indicative of some other issue, any thoughts?

Comment

If the angle on the FB from the pipe to the control it can be a problem, a very generous loop is required.

When you pull your first wire through, tie a piece of stif small diameter nylon cord to it, long enough to pull both ways, and you will always have a means to pull wire.

So when you pull one more cable out, tie the cord to it, Extra length helps.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Hi David

I have a 1998 3988 the same as yours I expect, I have just broken the port forward/reverse control cable end - broke right at the bottom of the thread at the flybridge.

Are you able to tell me what length of Teleflex cable you replaced it with please ??

Can you also tell me if you had any trouble pulling the new cable thru the 1 1/2" flexible plastic tube ??

Did you use any cable pulling lubricant as they do when pulling electrical cables ??

Finally, I assume it is easier to pull the cable from the lower station to the upper station ??

Thanks

John

Comment

I am sure John and David already fixed their issue; however I will memorialize what I researched for future 3988 cable replacements. Mine are the Red Morse 33 Supreme cables. According to the 3988 manual. There are 4 cables coming from the flybridge down to the lower station. They are all 28 Feet long or 336-inches as verified at the upper helm station. This makes sense they are all the same size since they are traveling to the same place and extra looping is required. The different sizes comes into play for the cables leaving the lower control station to the engine room for Port and Starboard engines. The Port engine transmission and throttle are 22 and 20 feet respectively. The starboard engine transmission and throttle are 15 and 18 feet respectively. So, looking at your lower station Morse controls from left to right is 22-20-15-18 feet respectively and all the cables on flybridge to lower are 28 feet long. Hope this info helps someone in the future.
                  MY 3988
                  M/V MMPOWRD
                  Poulsbo, WA

Comment

Bay 39,
                    This is great information- On the lower station cables I notice on Port side the shift cable is longer then the throttle, but on the starboard side the throttle is longer then the shift- Is that accurate? It doesn't seem right but I wanted to check. I'm sure I will change the cables some day so I wanted to be accurate.

Thanks- Mike
                    Gibraltar, Mi.
                    1986- 3870- Hino 175's
                    1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

I noticed my fly bridge port shifter is getting hard to shift. What should I look for as a cause? I sure don't want it to break like the above members did. Is there a lube or adjustment process to get it shifting smoother?
                      Guntar
                      1999 3988
                      Cummins 270s

Comment

• Bay39
                        Bay39 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Recommend replace aging cable. Neighbor with 3988 near mine replaced his upper Starboard and its real easy to shift now.

Teleflex cables are BLACK and Morse are RED. Either cable are going to wear over time. They are lubricated internally and it seems to be a wasted effort to try to extend them beyond their life. Recommend replacing them before getting into extremis docking situation. Flybridge cables seem to wear quicker due to length and exposure to elements. Recommend replacing the Port shift cable from flybridge to lower station by removing shelf inside right hand closet under shifters at lower helm. Pull from lower to upper using foam cable lubricant similar to the professionals use to pull electrical cable.
                      MY 3988
                      M/V MMPOWRD
                      Poulsbo, WA

Comment

Hint: The cables have the length in inches on them, if too short order a slightly longer cable.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                        Twin 350 GM power
                        Located in Seward, AK
                        Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                        X