Exhaust Bellows-gctid469915

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Bellows-gctid469915

The exhaust bellow on my 1998 Alpha one-Gen two looks bad but the drive and shift bellows are good. If the exhaust bellows cracks and leaks will water get into the boat? My thought is that you could run with out this bellows and be fine.

Thank you

seasam wrote:
    The exhaust bellow on my 1998 Alpha one-Gen two looks bad but the drive and shift bellows are good. If the exhaust bellows cracks and leaks will water get into the boat? My thought is that you could run with out this bellows and be fine. Thank you
    As I recall my exhaust bellows was bad on my 96 Maxum with A1G2. If you look, you'll see that the sole function of the exhaust bellows is to direct some of the exhaust gasses through the prop. I think that the purpose is to increase propeller efficiency by letting it get pure water instead of water with exhaust gas bubbles.

Comment

If the exhaust bellows cracks and leaks will water get into the boat?
      Cracked bellows are the number on reason for outdrive-powered boats sinking. Replace it every 2-3 years. It's cheap. That's the time to do all the other outdrive maintenance anyway.

Comment

The exhaust bellow has cuts in the bottom. You can run the drive with a cut or cracked exhaust bellows. The boat will just be louder.

Ken

Water cannot get back into the boat because of an exhaust bellows is cracked or cut.
        Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
        DT the village idiot strikes again.
        300SD all options.

Comment

You can replace your exhaust bellows with one of these, much better IMHO:

(It's the drive bellows (above the exhaust bellows) that is critical and must not leak)

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...t=exhaust+tube

Regards

Pete

Comment

The new type of Mercruiser exhaust bellow is actually just a rubber hose. It attaches to the transom mount. When the drive is all the way down, the hose fits loosely over the exhaust port. It's much easier to install and sounds better too.

Comment

If unsure, why not change them and be done with it. As Carlos says, failed bellows are the #1 cause of sinkings at the dock. They are very inexpensive and other than the assurance of a bunch of folks on the Internet you'll always wonder if you should've.

You can get the whole kit for $80.
              Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Seems to be some confusion between exhaust bellows and drive bellows(which are above exhaust bellows) here!

The Exhaust bellows are full of water when the boat is in the water (and engine not running), ..they are just the end of the exhaust pipe.

The drive bellows(above) contain the drive shaft and MUST be watertight.

Regards

Pete

Comment

This is true, and my commentary was based on thinking that it's odd to have one bellows fine and one not. Since it's so critical, I'd be inclined to replace them, particularly if you don't know how long it's been since it was done.

Comment

Pete2052 wrote:
                    Seems to be some confusion between exhaust bellows and drive bellows(which are above exhaust bellows) here!
                    No confusion at all. I have to assume they were both installed at the same time. If the exhaust bellows has deteriorated to the point of failure, I'd guess neither has been changed recently (or possibly ever...).

Why even debate it? It's an $80 kit. Change them.

The consequences of losing the drive bellows is so expensive, I can't see the logic in even thinking about only changing the exhaust (or changing neither).

iBoatNW

Comment

Seasam said:

"The exhaust bellow on my 1998 Alpha one-Gen two looks bad but the drive and shift bellows are good."

The question was about the exhaust bellows...........?

Regards

Pete

Comment

Yes.

I always change the rubber on the back of the boat at one time. When was the last time ALL of the bellows were replaced. The entire kit is only $80.

If the exhaust bellows is deteriorated, it's likely the others are not far behind. Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I fully understand what an exhaust bellows is for.

iBoatNW

Comment

Working...
                        X