Hard to start from flybridge-gctid469306

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to start from flybridge-gctid469306

Okay this has me stumped. The boat is a 1995 3258 with 7.4's and bravo 3's. The boat starts fine from the lower helm but is hard to start from the flybridge. It sounds the same cranking over, but it doesn't start. A mechanic on the boat couldn't figure it out either. When the boat has ran it starts from the flybridge, but cold it is very difficult to get it started. Any thoughts?

To much power draw when using the fly bridge starting circuit. Starving the engine spark part of the ignition system. Most likely a ground problem or the switches.

That is where I would start.
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

Do your upper helm instruments piggy-back in parallel to your lower helm instruments, per Stbd/Port engines?

Or is the parallel taking place within the helm harness somewhere?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Could possibly be corrosion at the MOB switch. Mine gave me intermittent trouble for a while until I tracked it down and repaired it.

Comment

I will have to sort this out when I get the boat over here. Just glad I have a starting point. It seemed really weird, so glad that I have a good starting point. I will keep you guys informed. Thanks for giving me a direction to head in.

Comment

The start and 'ignition' or 'run' contacts are different in the switch.

The start contact in the switch could be working fine (turning over the same), but the ignition contacts could be bad/high resistance.

Connect a voltmeter at the engine, to the ignition wire (Usually purple). Check the voltage when cranking from the bottom switch, then the top. If they are much different, then check the pre-switch voltage and post switch voltage. If different, change the ig switch.

Chay

Comment

Working...
            X