Volt Gauge-gctid355922

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volt Gauge-gctid355922

my volt meter gauge on starboard side both upper and lower helm sticks at 12 volt with out the key in Ignition. When I crank the engine the meter jumps to 14 volts when I shut down the meter goes back to 12 volts instead of shutting off.. does anyone have any idea as to what is causing this at both helms? could it be the ignition key set is faulty on one of the helms? I would appreciate any and all advice..

Bryan

First disconnect one gauge then the other. If problem remains check the ground even if you have to run a temporary.
    John McLellan White Rock BC
    "Halifax Jack"
    1999 2855 383 stroker BII
    MMSI 316004337

Comment

Take a volt reading directly at the + side of the meter when the key is off, on and when the engine is running.

Use the + lead of your meter for the + side of the instrument, and take the - side of your meter to a known Negative source.

Should be NO reading when the key is OFF.

When the key switch is ON it should give you the 12-12.3ish volt reading, and while the engine is running it should give you the 14+ish volt reading and will taper off some.

Also note that if the volt meter is remaining powered, so will your temp, oil pressure and Tachometer remain powered since these share that power circuit.

It may even continue to power the hour meter.

Many dual station key switches power both helms regardless of which station key switch has been turned ON.

You may have noticed that if the cabin key is ON, you can't shut an engine off from the upper station, and visa-versa.

Note that in some rare cases an alternator whose field circuit is ignition source powered can back feed. Rare, but it can occur.

Normally these engines will not shut down, however.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

thank you for the info. Will give it go tomorrow..

Comment

Not to worry - if your 38 is like mine, the starboard volt meter is connected to the HOUSE battery and is always ON. The house battery is charged by the starboard engine, so when you start the starboard engine the alternator pumps 13.5-14 volts to the battery. The port engine charges the starting batteries.
          Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
          Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
          Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
          MMSI: 338030604

Comment

+ 1 what jmcannonball said !

Happy boating
            Richard
            1988 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Wow....., I vaguely remember this now and it ought to be easy enough to verify.

While on S/P and with your O/B Charger ready to go, turned it on as to charge the house bank!

You should see these two volt meters showing an increase in voltage, right???
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Jim and Richard, I vaguely remember reading about this now!

If the volt meter is continuously powered by the house bank, it ought to be easy enough to verify.

So see if this sounds right!

While on S/P and with your O/B Charger ready to go, turn the charger on as to charge the house bank!

You should see these two Stbd volt meters showing an increase in voltage, right???

Bryan, if you are using a battery monitoring system, such as a Xantrex LINK, you could re-wire both of these volt meters to be like your Port side.

A volt reading for a house bank is not an accurate means of determining much as to Amp Hours anyway.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

FishingFool wrote:
                  my volt meter gauge on starboard side both upper and lower helm sticks at 12 volt with out the key in Ignition. When I crank the engine the meter jumps to 14 volts when I shut down the meter goes back to 12 volts instead of shutting off.. does anyone have any idea as to what is causing this at both helms? could it be the ignition key set is faulty on one of the helms? I would appreciate any and all advice..

Bryan
                  I can confirm; your starboard volt meters show house bank voltage and are not switched. Those meters are neither terribly accurate nor precise, but there's no need for you to fix anything.

Comment

Same deal with our 3288.....monitors house bank and is always on.

Comment

OK.... I'll be bold here.

Why are we wanting to monitor a HLBB with a helm located volt meter that intrinsically is not all that accurate, AND offers a volt reading only?

The Xantrex LINK-lite is now under $200, and during some sales, is even less!

With this, we can monitor Amp Hours, not just voltage!

Just a thought!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I live aboard now so it is project after project.. I do have a Xantrex charger but no meter..It is pretty strange that the meters are connected to the house batteries.. Oh well, now I know and that is one less thing to think about.. As always Thank you for all the posts.

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                          OK.... I'll be bold here.

Why are we wanting to monitor a HLBB with a helm located volt meter that intrinsically is not all that accurate, AND offers a volt reading only?

The Xantrex LINK-lite is now under $200, and during some sales, is even less!

With this, we can monitor Amp Hours, not just voltage!

Just a thought!

The OP asked why he was getting a 12V indication all the time. He didn't ask what equipment should he install to replace the guage.

The voltage meter is stock equipment and the Xantrex is an aftermarket add-on. When I added a Link 1000, I did not remove the stock instrumentation. Similarly, when I added Floscans I didn't remove my fuel tank level guages.

Comment

Just a quick note on this. Yes the battery voltage stays on as long as the house msbs switch is turned on. Another comment on the gauge not reading 100% accurart. This the difference between a guage and a meter. Meters are adjustable and guages are not. This is why like in your car you have gauges that are not exactly correct(fuel or volt guages).
                            Arizona Bob & Sandy
                            1990 3888 Bayliner
                            Purchased new
                            Twin 175 Hino's
                            630 Hurth Trans
                            Westerbeke Generator

Comment

A few years ago I installed one volt meter that monitors two batteries via a 3 position toggle switch. LEFT #1 BATT, MIDDLE OFF. RIGHT #2 BATT. It was simple to hook up and doesn't pull any juice in off position. Very handy as my boat doesn't have an on board charger. As soon as you turn your msbs switch on you must be completing a circuit to your volt gauge to be getting a reading. It may be intended to be wired this way so that you can monitor your house battery state while on the hook.

Comment

Working...
                              X