X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    HIJACK!!

Just out of interest Rick.

Do these units require periodical service or maintenance?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Good call, with the amount of jimmy-rigging you found in there best to start over with a refurb unit.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    possum2082 wrote:
    rick you are the frickin best. it makes so much sense now. i just assumed the spring was the only clutch componenet (which doesn't make much sense, i know). for the last year or so, the tilt has been slower and i would hear some chatter and i bet it was/is the sound of the clutch component welded together coming apart or at least flexing a bit.

looks like i'll be getting a used assembly.

thank you!
    You are welcome.

Like said, I do have a few of these left here and they are in perfect working order.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    rick you are the frickin best. it makes so much sense now. i just assumed the spring was the only clutch componenet (which doesn't make much sense, i know). for the last year or so, the tilt has been slower and i would hear some chatter and i bet it was/is the sound of the clutch component welded together coming apart or at least flexing a bit.

looks like i'll be getting a used assembly.

thank you!

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    possum2082 wrote:
    i had the machine shop check the vise rod and it is true. i'm starting to think that the femaled threaded piece that goes into the vise rod may be my prob as it doesn't seem to spin super smoothly [COLOR]"#FF0000" wrote:
    and it was welded back together by a previous owner.[/COLOR]
    OK.... I see that as a problem.

This is a cast steel clutch component that must spin freely on the double Allen threads. It must be perfectly aligned as well.

NOTE: Do not operate the electric motor without the limit switch being active.

If you were to fully retract the vice rod via the motor, and without the limit switch, you will break the this clutch component.

Extending the vice rod is not an issue.

I marked this image up for you.

A is the cast double Allen type thread clutch component.... it's counter-component is the brass worm gear.

B shows where the two friction surfaces cause the clutching action..... via the large spring

C shows the two worm drive areas.... as I'm sure you know.

D shows the micro-switch that breaks contact to the motor's Negative source as the Vice Rod reaches the safe limit range.

E is the large clutch pressure spring. The top cap adjusts spring tension (within a certain range).

BTW, if you have the old 3 or 4 wire "Electrolux" motor, these are weak to begin with.

The motor in this image is a later 2 wire motor.

The controller wiring must be changed in order to use this motor.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    i had the machine shop check the vise rod and it is true. i'm starting to think that the femaled threaded piece that goes into the vise rod may be my prob as it doesn't seem to spin super smoothly and it was welded back together by a previous owner.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    If the vice rod has been bent, it will give you trouble. Sometimes these can be straightened.... but not always.

Look at your worm drive gears also.

FYI... I have several of these here and are for sale. They have been completely gone through and refurbished.

Email me if interested (please..... no PMs)

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic volvo mechanical tilt problem-gctid467297

volvo mechanical tilt problem-gctid467297

i have the dreaded volvo aq 275 mechanical tilt. last year it started going slower as it when up and i eventually broke the roll pin on the electric motor. after a new pin, the assembly (not the motor) seemed louder, but worked fine. the tilt eventually stopped working and we just lowered it manually for the rest of the year.

i disassembled it and had a hard time removing the vise rod from the assembly once it was out of the boat. i took it to a machine shop and we got it out and the woodruff key in the shaft was repressed it and it slip wonderfully.

i reassembled everything and the shaft will not go up or down. it is definitely a mechanical problem.

i put a washer under the spring to see if the spring had been compressed too much to no avail.

i'm getting ready to buy a used assembly b/c after disassembling AGAIN, i noticed that the cylindrical device that threads onto the vise rod had broken at one time and the previous owner had welded it back together. i noticed b/c there were a few cracks on the top and some welds are obvious on the bottom. i'm wondering if the weld is starting to give and not allowing the worm gear to turn properly.

thanks.
Working...
X