Preemptive replacement, exchangers, manifolds, risers?-gctid466873

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Preemptive replacement, exchangers, manifolds, risers?-gctid466873

Have old Chevy engines from 1980. Risers were replaced by PO in 2007. Both engines have 600 hours on one common meter, and 1280 on another which is non operational. So perhaps combine? FWC system, coolant is full and nice and green. I expect the exchangers are original. At what point would each of these components need to be replaced aside of failure for peace of mind?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Assuming that your mani's and risers are raw water cooled, three to five years is usually the max operational lifespan. FWC cooled is obviously a different situation. Again, if RWC you need to get them changed as you can start getting water in the exhaust jacket side of the mani's and then a hydro lock condition is probably soon to follow. I just changed mine this winter and there are many different places that sell "package" deals with all included components. I did my complete set for $600, which from my research is a pretty fair deal.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

duke1 wrote:
      Hello,

Assuming that your mani's and risers are raw water cooled, three to five years is usually the max operational lifespan. FWC cooled is obviously a different situation. Again, if RWC you need to get them changed as you can start getting water in the exhaust jacket side of the mani's and then a hydro lock condition is probably soon to follow. I just changed mine this winter and there are many different places that sell "package" deals with all included components. I did my complete set for $600, which from my research is a pretty fair deal.

Just my 2 cents.
      3 to 5 years! Well...... 2007 till now, hummm. Thats 6 years for just the risers. So I think replacement of the mainifolds is due as well. The FWC is block only, the RWC is on the exhaust. $600 seems a good deal.... Two engines though!

Has anybody internally ceramic coated the manifolds and risers to extend their life?

Comment

penguin wrote:
        Have old Chevy engines from 1980. Risers were replaced by PO in 2007. Both engines have 600 hours on one common meter, and 1280 on another which is non operational.

So perhaps combine?

[COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
        Many will leave a previous non-operational hour meter installed along with a new hour meter, so that total hours can be calculated. [/COLOR]

FWC system, coolant is full and nice and green.

[COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
        Pick up a few antifreeze PH balance test strips, and test the Ethylene Glycol. [/COLOR]

I expect the exchangers are original.

[COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
        Pull the pencil anodes and look at them. If they have been eaten up, it may indicate that the PO did not keep up on them.

Also remove the end caps and take a look at the tube bundles. [/COLOR]

At what point would each of these components need to be replaced aside of failure for peace of mind?

[COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
        On the Heat Exchangers, hard to say.

Some will go for years and years if the pencil anodes are replaced routinely.

As for exhaust... pull them apart and examine the spent sea water transfer ports.

These ports will offer you good tell-tale signs. [/COLOR]
        Some of the Conquests were Volvo Penta I/O's. If this is an I/O boat, look the drives over very thuroughly.

Replace the water neck fittings, drive shaft bearing crosses, and bellows..... and consider replacing your PDS bearings.

Click on the link beneath my signature, and look under [COLOR]"#FF0000" wrote:
        A READ ME FIRST..... [/COLOR]

These are titled [COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
        "Primary Drive Shaft bearings/seals replacement"[/COLOR] and [COLOR]"#0000FF" wrote:
        "Why the V-8 two bearing PDS cannot be removed from AFT without removing engine!"[/COLOR]

http://"http://www.baylinerownersclu... PDS bearings.

And let this image scare you!

This shows the damage that can result from PDS bearing failure. These guys were lucky, their damage was limited to the flywheel cover only.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
        X