Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing a Guest 2610A charger unit?-gctid466458

Hi,

Does anyone know how to test a Guest Charger Pro 2610A?

I have good (3 months old) batteries. I used the charger but found that the red light stays on (over 24+ hours). The manual says this may be due to:

1) One or more defective or damaged cells. - new batteries so very doubtful.

2. Charger has reduced its output voltage below the normal level due to a DC overload or a DC short - There are no shorts and everything (load) is switched off.

3. On-board DC systems are drawing more current than the charger can replace - everything is off.

So, one is left wondering how the hell do you test one of these smart charging whatsits short of buying another one and swapping it out?

Thanks in advance.

Terry
    Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
    1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
    MMSI 235061726

Just had a reply from marinco who now provide technical services for the charg-pro. They said . . .

Best way to test the charger apply ac voltage to the charger with no leads on the DC studs . You should get a green light on the charger and only a green light., anything else and the charger is bad( green & red, red, or no lights at all)

Next check the output voltage at the studs it should be 13.1 -13.5 Anything else something is wrong with the charger.

I get something else so I'll need to replace the charger. . .

Terry
    MMSI 235061726

Comment

Send an email to SueD at Guest.

They have been good about helping boaters out.

May be economical to repair....

cherio
      Captharv 2001 2452
      "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

MANY THANKS. I'll give that a try when i get home. I am in San Diego at the moment on holiday. great place.

terry
        MMSI 235061726

Comment

Hope all is well TerryW!! . . . . my Flyback charger showed the red light too . . and yes, they said it was shot, can't (and not worth) repair . . . hope you have better luck!
          1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - for sale - Dredge Harbor, NJ
          Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
          WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
          James H. Stradling

Comment

It won't be easy to repair a 110v charger in the uk. We run on 220v, so even running it up on a bench in my garage would not be trivial. I suspect the time, effort and cost of trying to fix it wouldnt be worth it.

The boat has a tranformer arrangement so that the US systems work on UK shore power but working at the boat isn't so easy on fiddly electronics. I might give it a little go since there are no fish around at the moment.

I'll see if some kind person (Sue D) might send a diagram. . .
            MMSI 235061726

Comment

Terry,

Did you get anywhere with this?

If you need to bench test your charger, a 110 transformer as found on building sites everywhere would work, if you know any tradesmen you could probably borrow one...

If not a replacement charger may be a possibility... and may end up cheaper than having yours repaired?..

I fitted a Sinergex Purecharge chager to my 2455 (and created a locker for it)...cost about £200

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...-Charger-Refit

Comment

Working...
              X