Finally in and overheat with a new pump assembly!!! Any ideas-gctid465512

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally in and overheat with a new pump assembly!!! Any ideas-gctid465512

I put a brand new sierra water pump in my cobra outdrive..hooked it to a hose ran it 3 times no overheat. Dropped boat in at marina, started it up.... Temps kept climbing up to 210 degrees...what gives? Is sierra a decent brand of water pumps or should i stick with genuine omc,,,long story short i put back in last years pump and temps never reached 160...im baffeld any ideas?

chris wrote:
    I put a brand new sierra water pump in my cobra outdrive..hooked it to a hose ran it 3 times no overheat. Dropped boat in at marina, started it up.... Temps kept climbing up to 210 degrees...what gives? Is sierra a decent brand of water pumps or should i stick with genuine omc,,,long story short i put back in last years pump and temps never reached 160...im baffeld any ideas?
    Sierra is a ok name brand, Are you sure you have the same part? and did you put the sierra in backwards?
    1988 3270
    135 hinos
    Seldovia ALASKA
    KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
    KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
    Marine canvas/Upholstery
    since 1975

Comment

With the hose you are getting water under pressure. In the water it has to suck water. Maybe sucking air? I would look for something wrong in the installation.

Doug
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

chris wrote:
        Did you put the boat back in the water after you put the old impeller back in or just ran it on the hose???

Comment

When the old pump was put back in, was she hooked up to a muff/hose?

What made you change the impeller?

New housing?

Was she overheating before?

I would check the vent hose off the pump housing first to be sure it is not clogged+ O ring is seated properly,,,,

Put her back in the water or a large enough water container to dip your drive in, this way you have no water pressure assisted.

Remove the lower feeder hose to see how much water flow you are getting,,, if none possibly need to inspect the water pick up tube seal.

Good luck
          Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
          Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
          93 3058 sold
          92 2855 (day boat)
          91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
          Longbranch WA
          Life is Good

Comment

I changed the impeller in the water hanging over the swim platform, yes the new impellor was put on correctly...what excatly is the tube that comes from the water pump housing used for?

Comment

Working...
            X